Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 290413 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #1635 on: May 09, 2016, 05:48:55 am »

According to my mother, Mercury will pass in front of the sun today, starting in about half an hour from now and lasting most of the day, and visible on the US East Coast. She also said you'd need a telescope or binoculars to see it.

...Great idea, Mom. Point a scope directly at the sun and stare at it for a few hours ::).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: May 09, 2016, 05:54:44 am »

That pinhole thing for solar eclipses is a thing?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1637 on: May 09, 2016, 08:38:42 am »

Much better: point a telescope at the sun and direct the beam from the end onto a page.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: May 09, 2016, 10:28:50 am »

Binoculars tinted to near opaqueness should work.
Warning!!!
Don't do this slap-dash! Don't rely on candle-soot coating your lens/impromptu glass filter evenly/thoroughly enough! Do not use eclipse filters (or welding goggles) at the eye-side of the magnifying lens, where the focussed-down sunlight could burn through the protection you think you have! Do not make it possible for the (sun-side) specialust filter to fall off its perch!

Look,  just get an official webcam view from a solar observatory, if you can't trust yourself to put together a solar observatory of your own. There's more spectacular things you'll want to see in the future, and the next transit is also well within the lifetime of most people here, I would hope...

ETA: November 11, 2019 is the next one.  You've got 42 months to spare,  and prepare.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 10:31:55 am by Starver »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: May 20, 2016, 12:46:30 am »

Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: August 05, 2016, 08:48:37 pm »

Opportunity gets another mission extension.

It's been around for twelve and a half years, now, which is absolutely incredible, if you think about it.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: August 05, 2016, 10:23:12 pm »

Opportunity gets another mission extension.

It's been around for twelve and a half years, now, which is absolutely incredible, if you think about it.
It's definitely not bad for a three-month tour. :P

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: August 06, 2016, 01:59:55 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: August 06, 2016, 11:03:33 am »

Now that is sad.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: August 06, 2016, 01:42:26 pm »

Someday, maybe our children's or our grandchildren perhaps will see how people get there, and build a historical place around it, and it will never bee alone again. I expect the same for the eagle module and the first footprint on the moon.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: August 06, 2016, 04:22:32 pm »

Surrounded with a velvet rope.

(On the Moon, perhaps a double-dome.  The outside to keep the air in, for the visitors, the inside to keep the air out, for the artefacts.)

ETA: Talking of extended-mission rovers and the Moon, did I link this here yet?

http://www.sciencealert.com/china-s-jade-rabbit-rover-finally-died-after-31-months-on-the-moon
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 04:24:40 pm by Starver »

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: August 06, 2016, 04:23:11 pm »

"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: August 14, 2016, 06:17:06 pm »

http://www.seeker.com/new-nearby-earth-like-planet-discovered-1970197349.html

A new exoplanet has been discovered. "So what?" you say. Well, this exoplanet is:

- orbiting Proxima Centauri 4.25 light years away
- "Earth-like"
- In the habitable zone

In other words it's the best bet yet for a potentially life-bearing or colonizable planet that could be reached by a mission within a single lifetime.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: August 14, 2016, 06:20:18 pm »

That is quite surprising.  I guess this means earthlike planets are probably really common?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: August 14, 2016, 07:11:41 pm »

That is quite surprising.  I guess this means earthlike planets are probably really common?
Well, it does depend to some degree on what "Earth-like" refers to.  Venus and Mars are both Earth-like, if you only take the knowledge about that world we presently know about this one (orbital distance, planetary mass, planetary radius).  Even if we do infer from our present limited sample set that such planets are common (at least, until we get enough data to make a more conclusive estimate one way or the other), all it demonstrates is that terrestrial planets can easily exist between 0.5-3 AU from a G-type main-sequence star. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 07:13:56 pm by Culise »
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 232