Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 290451 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #2265 on: March 05, 2017, 02:30:04 pm »

I find it intriguing that suddenly people are calling for NASA to just cancel the SLS because spacex can do it instead.
However the spacex module to be sent would weigh approximately 1/3rd of the weight of the payload sent to the moon by the SLS (according to a source I read. validation of that would be nice?) because it doesn't have to land or even achieve orbit. So hopefully people figure that out eventually.

Though it does raise the question. If they (spacex) start doing their mars shuttle thing in the next decade, would they then just use it to ferry back and forth stuff to the moon while they wait for transfer windows? That would surely have the ability to get to and land on the moon, and often.
Moonbase anyone?

The issue is people being short sighted. The SLS launching next year isn't the final planned SLS. Final design SLS will likely put Falcon Heavy to shame in both payload mass AND volume. Falcon heavy, still being based on a falcon core is limited to falcon sized fairings, maybe slightly larger but nothing like what SLS will manage. Damn expensive. But impressive and useful for specific missions. The once around the moon is just the test drive off the lot, 10 minutes, around the block and back. Don't get me wrong. I think losing Ares was a shame, but SLS is still a worthwhile project and given time to grow, it'll be an amazing piece of equipment. It, alongside commercial crew, is almost a ressurection of the apollo applications program. Not quite, but almost.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: April 02, 2017, 03:10:50 am »

Cassini Juno sent home the first high resolution close up images of Jupiter. It looks pretty. The image has been tilted 90 degrees.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 03:17:10 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: April 02, 2017, 03:19:50 am »

Oh my goodness. That's really something
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: April 02, 2017, 05:22:08 am »

Wonderful.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2269 on: April 02, 2017, 12:52:19 pm »

You can dig underground on the moon. The biggest risk for significant times off of earth is radiation and the most cost efficient way to deal with radiation threat is to dig deep. Lunarcrete is cheap because it's in situ.

Alternatively, one could use lava tubes, which would be HUGE on the Moon, big enough to fit a city inside, so, plenty of space. The tricky part though is finding one.

So we're building cities in lava tubes to protect us from the harsh surface world, right? Does that make us

DWARVES IN SPAAAACE!?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: April 02, 2017, 01:38:18 pm »

Sadly the moon is likely all out of magma, but yes, we would be building giant awesome cave cities.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: April 02, 2017, 01:56:40 pm »

Cassini Juno sent home the first high resolution close up images of Jupiter. It looks pretty. The image has been tilted 90 degrees.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is now my phone background.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: April 02, 2017, 02:10:11 pm »

So where do I sign up to become a space dwarf?
I am all for this.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: April 02, 2017, 02:12:56 pm »

On the other hand, even without magma, we could probably dig deeper on the moon than on Earth as the overhanging rocks weigh less.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: April 02, 2017, 04:26:07 pm »

So where do I sign up to become a space dwarf?
I am all for this.

You have arrived. After a journey from your home planet into the forbidding abyss beyond, your harsh trek has finally ended. Your party of seven is to make an outpost for the glory of all humankind. There are almost no supplies left, but you are expecting a supply convoy before Winter, but it is Spring now. Enough time to delve secure lodgings, ere the rabbits get hungry. A new chapter of human history begins here at this place: Ozibirod, "Armstrong". Strike the Moon!
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: April 02, 2017, 06:59:47 pm »

Hah!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: April 04, 2017, 11:48:30 am »

On the other hand, even without magma, we could probably dig deeper on the moon than on Earth as the overhanging rocks weigh less.
Actually, the problem with digging deep (for humans) on earth is air pressure. That isn't a problem on the moon.

"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: April 04, 2017, 12:31:16 pm »

No, the problem is what's under the surface shell...  ;)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: April 04, 2017, 10:27:03 pm »

Actually, the problem with digging deep (for humans) on earth is air pressure. That isn't a problem on the moon.

It's actually both. When there's enough rock overhead, the rock walls of excavated spaces tend to shoot flakes of rock off at random.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: April 05, 2017, 06:11:53 am »

It should also heat up a good deal even though the moon isn't all active and cycling like it is here, though I'd like to see if the crazy ideas of there being a good amount of water sunk deep in the moon bore out.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 232