Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.1%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.6%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1094325 times)

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: Mission 5 has started
« Reply #4635 on: August 15, 2015, 09:31:35 pm »

Team A

"I'd recommend y'all get as far from this room as possible."

Do the thing. Do the thing now. Start charging. If a viable enemy target presents itself, shoot it with my anchors to impale it with one or two and wrap it with the others to hold it there.
((I'm doing the exact opposite of THE SAME.))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: August 15, 2015, 09:42:10 pm »

((Sign me up for whatever new mission comes next. If we're doing galactic adventures, sign me the f*ck up.))
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: August 15, 2015, 09:46:11 pm »

((...guys we need to go kill the thing right now))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: August 15, 2015, 09:47:35 pm »

(Let's go! I wanna destroy big and valuable peoples and things... And be rewarded for it!)
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: August 15, 2015, 10:03:22 pm »

(Let's go! I wanna destroy big and valuable peoples and things... And be rewarded for it!)
((And I want to duel your character! Later, then.))
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: August 15, 2015, 10:16:10 pm »

Zechariah was watching from the side while Ike and Irine argued. However, he decided now to intervene before they went too far. Even if they didn't start getting physical with the fight or anything, they couldn't risk  more tensions within the group itself right now. It was bad enough that they were on bad terms with the humans already.

"Alright, that's enough, both of you." He looked at Irine first and addressed her. "Irine, I know that you have your own values, and I respect that. But, at this point in the mission, you have to remember that we're a very small group against the world. You wanted to get this mission done quickly and simply, right? Well, there's no point in making that more difficult by antagonizing anyone - whether it's in our own group or outside of it. By no means should you abandon your own standards, but perhaps we should try to stick on as best of terms as possible with the humans and other peoples here. You don't have to lie or mislead them, but let them know that we are on their side and mean no harm. That wouldn't be lying, would it?"

Then, to Ike.
"Ike, I wasn't there for what occurred. But from what it sounds like, it was a mess from both sides, and the blame should not fall totally on Irine. At a point where we were on our own and weak, and the humans were also pretty shaken up from our screw-up with the explosion, I believe that it's unfair to say that one or the other was responsible."

"I know that we all have our differences and, well, we might not get along very well. Still, when we're already weakened and uncertain of where we stand in this world, it doesn't help us to fight over each other, or with other people. We all want to succeed for one reason or another. Let that be your focus. You are either totally separated and easy to destroy, or united and able to complement each others' strengths."

Opt to wait until we're either rested and ready to go or until the others decide it's time to move.

Megggas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: August 16, 2015, 12:28:03 am »

((Also, whoever updates the TVTropes page, you a baller.))

((Agreed.  The more people to contribute, the better.))

((Sign me up for whatever new mission comes next. If we're doing galactic adventures, sign me the f*ck up.))

((Same.  I'm eager for my first mission.))

George fails Caution 101.

As George struggles in the water, mentally cursing to himself, he notices the town up ahead.  The medieval town.  George isn't sure whether he should add time travel to the list of impossible things that his alien captors are capable of, or finally just conclude that Reality was put on trial and lynched for the crime of having no place in this world.

Continue being pushed by the currents, toward the town.  Question my own existence along the way.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 12:46:01 am by Megggas »
Due to Real Life reasons, I have to disappear for awhile.  Take me out of all games that I'm participating in.  Sorry.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: August 16, 2015, 12:29:04 am »

((Of course I'm still not gonna do it but still :P))
Sig! Onol

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: August 16, 2015, 12:59:43 am »

Sure, just wish for it. One level of Power would certainly make things a lot better. Two levels might be pushing it, but it would make things really good and a bit quicker, provided you don't overdo it. Three levels is just asking for an accidental earth-shattering kaboom.

((We'll do that, then.  Also, there's a reason I'm trying not to let power get too far ahead of control...))
Do what? Summon once with 1 level of power and once with 1 level of control?

No, summon once with +1 to current power and once with +1 to current speed.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: August 16, 2015, 02:52:55 am »

Strap the shield to my arm to leave my hand free. Also make a spare sling for reasons. Let the more talky people talk about their stuff.

((Definitely want to go on the galactic adventure mission. Not sure if I want to do another campaign right after this one though.))
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: August 16, 2015, 03:10:18 am »

Strap the shield to my arm to leave my hand free. Also make a spare sling for reasons. Let the more talky people talk about their stuff.

((Definitely want to go on the galactic adventure mission. Not sure if I want to do another campaign right after this one though.))
((I would like to do a galactic adventure and maybe another campaign after that one.
Though that's thinking waaaaaay into the future.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4646 on: August 16, 2015, 03:19:01 am »

((Assuming we don't all die of course :P))
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: August 16, 2015, 03:44:49 am »

"That is not being 'nice, respectful or a decent human being' - that is lying for the sake of convenience and attempting to manipulate others by guiding their thoughts and misinforming them of their situation. Your entire speech just now was slimy and sickening, with no worth because it was entirely based on the person you're communicating with being stupid and unwilling or unable to attempt to understand the person they're communcating with. You are placing your own twisted view of social norms on a pedestal and claiming they are right with no basis for their rightness beyond them giving you the end result you want. I am not a liar Ike, and I would sooner burn my alphabet into your toungue than accept that the only way to coexist is to refuse to try to understand one another, instead simply exploiting them for one's own personal gain the way you just said."

"You're smarter than that Ike. Don't try to convince me your urine is rainwater, get it away from me and try again when you have something of actual value to contribute."

"But it's you refusing to understand people. That's the entire problem. Somebody reacts - relatively reasonably and clear-headedly, mind you - to you threatening them with execution, you say they're stupid evil liars and start working out plans how to burn them to death, and increase their paranoia with suspicious behavior. The essence of friendliness is mutual understanding and empathy, not clear statement of hostilities. You can't tell someone you mean them no harm and admit that you mean them harm in the same conversation, it makes you seem like a stupid evil liar yourself. Or as humans describe it, sending mixed messages."

Ike sighs.

"But okay. Everyone else is slimy, stupid and evil, and you're absolutely right and perfect and possessed of unassailable virtue unseen by humankind. As long as it supports your internal narrative of somehow being the victim in all this, right?"

He pauses, about to turn to Zech, but then thinks of yet more to say.

"But even if we assume they are slimy, stupid and evil, the spirit of diplomacy requires that you compensate for someone's personal flaws and insecurities so that you can get what you want out of them in the end. Unwillingness to compromise, spin and manipulate renders diplomacy basically impossible, and if you can't do that, I'm probably going to need to switch places with you in similar situations, with me being the talky serious guy and you being the one who makes occasional quaint remarks to lighten the mood and performs acts of grisly violence when the situation demands it. Or heck, maybe use Alan as the party face. He's got a decent track record, and he's a pretty chillaxed dude."

Then, to Ike.
"Ike, I wasn't there for what occurred. But from what it sounds like, it was a mess from both sides, and the blame should not fall totally on Irine. At a point where we were on our own and weak, and the humans were also pretty shaken up from our screw-up with the explosion, I believe that it's unfair to say that one or the other was responsible."

"I know that we all have our differences and, well, we might not get along very well. Still, when we're already weakened and uncertain of where we stand in this world, it doesn't help us to fight over each other, or with other people. We all want to succeed for one reason or another. Let that be your focus. You are either totally separated and easy to destroy, or united and able to complement each others' strengths."

Opt to wait until we're either rested and ready to go or until the others decide it's time to move.

"Of course Massah Kassah wasn't exactly a bastion of hospitality, and his people aren't really highly enlightened, peace-loving types, and the people in the Tower were such enormous idiots that it'd take more than a day to assess the full magnitude of their gruesome mistakes. And there was more than a little bit of bad faith in Massah Kassah after we told him we blew everything up. But I can't exactly tell him to git gud at the basics of diplomacy now that I've killed three of his trusted guards and blinded him with poisonous anti-magic rocks, can I? Not like it'd help much, either - both parties have to take the appropriate steps, and all things considered he was as nice to us as he could afford to be."

"Point is, I wouldn't have expected diplomacy to be Irine's weakness. I mean, I fucked up as well - I probably shouldn't have just been standing by and essentially watching it unfold while affecting a racist accent, but my worse nature got the better of me, and I'll try to do better in the future. It's important to analyze why an approach failed so that we don't make mistakes in the future. Reassess our strengths in light of new information. For instance, Irine here believes she did nothing wrong, which is a harmful and all too easy thing to believe about one's failures. So I'm telling her to git gud at diplomacy and explaining how she would go about such a thing. With a touch of abrasive frustration because you can't really teach someone who's unwilling to learn, you know?"

"Besides, we get along fine. Though to assuage your concerns and help distinguish between a performance assessment and an argument, we should maybe figure out some kind of structure for this kind of performance assessment. And make our criticism maximally constructive and whatnot. Adopt instructive tones when required instead of mere riffing."

ETD: whenever everyone's ready.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 03:55:48 am by Harry Baldman »

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: August 16, 2015, 07:52:05 am »

((Hey, Irene, would you like some BURN CREAM WITH THAT SPEECH?!))
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: August 16, 2015, 09:00:00 am »

"That is not being 'nice, respectful or a decent human being' - that is lying for the sake of convenience and attempting to manipulate others by guiding their thoughts and misinforming them of their situation. Your entire speech just now was slimy and sickening, with no worth because it was entirely based on the person you're communicating with being stupid and unwilling or unable to attempt to understand the person they're communcating with. You are placing your own twisted view of social norms on a pedestal and claiming they are right with no basis for their rightness beyond them giving you the end result you want. I am not a liar Ike, and I would sooner burn my alphabet into your toungue than accept that the only way to coexist is to refuse to try to understand one another, instead simply exploiting them for one's own personal gain the way you just said."

"You're smarter than that Ike. Don't try to convince me your urine is rainwater, get it away from me and try again when you have something of actual value to contribute."
"But it's you refusing to understand people. That's the entire problem. Somebody reacts - relatively reasonably and clear-headedly, mind you - to you threatening them with execution, you say they're stupid evil liars and start working out plans how to burn them to death,-
"That isn't what-"
"-and increase their paranoia with suspicious behavior. The essence of friendliness is mutual understanding and empathy, not clear statement of hostilities. You can't tell someone you mean them no harm and admit that you mean them harm in the same conversation, it makes you seem like a stupid evil liar yourself. Or as humans describe it, sending mixed messages."
"But that isn't what happened and you-"
Ike sighs.

"But okay. Everyone else is slimy, stupid and evil, and you're absolutely right and perfect and possessed of unassailable virtue unseen by humankind. As long as it supports your internal narrative of somehow being the victim in all this, right?"
"No! That isn't what happened! stop lying! You aren't even responding to what I actually said, you're just twisting it into something easy to attack and then attacking that twisted version of my words!"
He pauses, about to turn to Zech, but then thinks of yet more to say.

"But even if we assume they are slimy, stupid and evil, the spirit of diplomacy requires that you compensate for someone's personal flaws and insecurities so that you can get what you want out of them in the end. Unwillingness to compromise, spin and manipulate renders diplomacy basically impossible"
"And now you're mixing lying and compromise, as though they're the same thing. I'm fine with comprimise. Stop speaking slimy Ike, please."
", and if you can't do that, I'm probably going to need to switch places with you in similar situations, with me being the talky serious guy and you being the one who makes occasional quaint remarks to lighten the mood and performs acts of grisly violence when the situation demands it. Or heck, maybe use Alan as the party face. He's got a decent track record, and he's a pretty chillaxed dude."
"I..."
Then, to Ike.

"Of course Massah Kassah wasn't exactly a bastion of hospitality, and his people aren't really highly enlightened, peace-loving types, and the people in the Tower were such enormous idiots that it'd take more than a day to assess the full magnitude of their gruesome mistakes. And there was more than a little bit of bad faith in Massah Kassah after we told him we blew everything up. But I can't exactly tell him to git gud at the basics of diplomacy now that I've killed three of his trusted guards and blinded him with poisonous anti-magic rocks, can I? Not like it'd help much, either - both parties have to take the appropriate steps, and all things considered he was as nice to us as he could afford to be."

"Point is, I wouldn't have expected diplomacy to be Irine's weakness. I mean, I fucked up as well - I probably shouldn't have just been standing by and essentially watching it unfold while affecting a racist accent, but my worse nature got the better of me, and I'll try to do better in the future. It's important to analyze why an approach failed so that we don't make mistakes in the future. Reassess our strengths in light of new information. For instance, Irine here believes she did nothing wrong, which is a harmful and all too easy thing to believe about one's failures. So I'm telling her to git gud at diplomacy and explaining how she would go about such a thing. With a touch of abrasive frustration because you can't really teach someone who's unwilling to learn, you know?"

"Besides, we get along fine. Though to assuage your concerns and help distinguish between a performance assessment and an argument, we should maybe figure out some kind of structure for this kind of performance assessment. And make our criticism maximally constructive and whatnot. Adopt instructive tones when required instead of mere riffing."

ETD: whenever everyone's ready.
"In other words, Ike, I was too trusting. I spoke directly and honestly, when what we needed was lies and distortions. I should have been speaking subserviently instead of as equals. I should have hidden my teeth, not said exactly where the line was so he'd know if he was going to cross it. I shouldn't have treated someone I wanted to make a friend with the respect as if they actually were one. I needed to treat him as prey, not as another predator."

((Hey, Irene, would you like some BURN CREAM WITH THAT SPEECH?!))
((Irine can't hear you, are you trying to be offensive to me instead? I'm just keeping her in character. Irine really doesn't like lies in any form.))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 521