Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 74

Author Topic: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 44 - The Markets  (Read 134356 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 41 - Apotheosis
« Reply #1005 on: March 09, 2014, 01:04:12 pm »

Wait, why can't you fix broken bones and stuff? Is there some kind of actual limitation, or just no one-size-fits-all panacea?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: March 09, 2014, 01:22:09 pm »

Wait, why can't you fix broken bones and stuff? Is there some kind of actual limitation, or just no one-size-fits-all panacea?

((He probably means you can set them with Force magic, but you can't exactly make them regenerate at will. At least, not without initiating wild growth and giving somebody a whole lot of cancer, which can be a side effect of regeneration in a complex being.))

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: March 09, 2014, 04:35:22 pm »

I'm SOOOOO glad that most of Life magic is still ok for the books. I was kinda avoiding finding new and munchkin-y uses for it simply because I thought everything would be retconned that way.

As for the medical stuff, seems like mages in book could still do things like cauterize wounds (which I tried already....to hilarious effect), and use water magic to keep people from bleeding out.
So all the basics would still be there, just no "SHINY LIGHT HEALS YOUR WOUNDS!"

But yeah, most of my dealings with Life magic I've tried to be more creative then just "heal thing"
Like with the life-detect. Its supremely useful, not that tiring, and something the GM didn't think of beforehand.

Also, I assume Wisps will still be around for the novelization? Gonna have to munchkin the crap out of those.
Speaking of munchkinry:

Also, Niccolo? Can magic skill grant passive abilities? Like would a grandmaster of fire be naturally resistant to heat, and a grandmaster of force naturally project a weak forcefield? Would be neato.

Dis never got answered :3
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: March 09, 2014, 05:49:36 pm »

Nope. But you'd be able to so easily cast a spell like heat resistance that all you'd feel is a slight twinge in your finger.

Mostly it's an actual narrative limitation I decided on that fits with the established lore. I wanted people with the gift of healing to be incredibly rare, their power almost miraculous in its scope, leaving the more commonplace mages to be the powerhouses that blow down mountains and stuff and who can 'make do' with magical equivalents to modern medical practice.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: March 09, 2014, 07:27:38 pm »

Nope. But you'd be able to so easily cast a spell like heat resistance that all you'd feel is a slight twinge in your finger.

Mostly it's an actual narrative limitation I decided on that fits with the established lore. I wanted people with the gift of healing to be incredibly rare, their power almost miraculous in its scope, leaving the more commonplace mages to be the powerhouses that blow down mountains and stuff and who can 'make do' with magical equivalents to modern medical practice.

I noticed you said that those with the White Circuit can't heal anyone who has a White Circuit. So that means they can't heal themselves, or anyone else who can heal people? Interesting.

So will there still be mages running around with prosthetic rockhands and such? :P

Speaking of which, what about Book!Baldur? His backstory includes having a new arm grafted onto him, could a "normal" mage do that, or is he gonna get hit with the retcon stick? :P

Indeed, I do this.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: March 10, 2014, 02:19:21 am »

Baldur had a new arm grafted onto him? What?

And where did I mention the part about white circuit healers unable to heal other healers? Did I say that? Oops. It's more meant to be they can't heal themselves. Other healers are fair game. Maybe. I'm still thinking about that... but as it is, there's only one healer in the book (so far) so it's currently a moot point.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Currently seeking players! (0/5)
« Reply #1011 on: March 10, 2014, 06:50:33 am »

Baldur had a new arm grafted onto him? What?

Pay attention to the bolded parts:
Spoiler: Baldur Bergfalk (click to show/hide)

And where did I mention the part about white circuit healers unable to heal other healers? Did I say that? Oops. It's more meant to be they can't heal themselves. Other healers are fair game. Maybe. I'm still thinking about that... but as it is, there's only one healer in the book (so far) so it's currently a moot point.

Which one is the "White" Circuit? :P

The White Circuit is, to put it simply, a fourth piece of the soul. It's an addendum a select few people have in their souls which grants them the ability to heal anybody who doesn't possess the same white circuit.

Funny thing about munchkins- when we're doing it right, we pay more attention to the lore then the GM does :P

Indeed, I do this.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: March 10, 2014, 07:20:46 am »

Huh. I'd completely forgotten about that part of Baldur's backstory.

And I'm still pretty undecided on the limitations of the White Circuit, as I alluded to in my last post. But thank you for reminding me of that! While not immediately pertinent (Since the Circuit doesn't even exist for the sake of this story) it's good to be reminded of what I said.

Although I get the feeling I seriously have to be careful about what I say to you, or else I'll end up in a "I can wear purple when facing a dragon since they can't see that end of the spectrum" problem.
Check out my RtD!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: March 10, 2014, 08:30:01 am »

The thing about that is, you'd just look like you were wearing black. Something that doesn't reflect visible light doesn't necessarily let it through.

And it's important to determine if healers can heal healers, because...well...it'll come up at some point.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 10, 2014, 08:47:58 am »

The thing about that is, you'd just look like you were wearing black. Something that doesn't reflect visible light doesn't necessarily let it through.

It's a reference to a blog I read about GMing, munchkinry and basically players in general - it went something like "And your players will quite happily wear purple armour and try and stealth it up to a dragon, since you once mentioned that they couldn't see purple light, three years ago, to justify some minor plot hole".
Check out my RtD!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 10, 2014, 11:03:19 am »

I've read that before, and it kinda bugged me.
Sig

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: March 10, 2014, 12:21:25 pm »

Ah...I totally would do that :P

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 10, 2014, 07:44:39 pm »

I can't wait for someone to try that on me.
Sig

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 10, 2014, 08:15:54 pm »

It's a reference to a blog I read about GMing, munchkinry and basically players in general - it went something like "And your players will quite happily wear purple armour and try and stealth it up to a dragon, since you once mentioned that they couldn't see purple light, three years ago, to justify some minor plot hole".
i now want to read that blog, do you have the link to it?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: March 11, 2014, 02:21:07 am »

Unfortunately not. I tripped over it a few years ago and I can't seem to find it again.

Anyway, finally writing the new turn up!
Check out my RtD!
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 74