Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 38

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLIV: The Court of Colors | Renascence | Town Win  (Read 113896 times)

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLIV: Day 1 has begun | Act I: Prelude
« Reply #240 on: January 06, 2014, 01:13:48 pm »

@mastahcheese: My only internet access at home is my phone. Hopefully that states your curiosity. I'll give my reads now, but it's going to be shorter than my previous attempt.

SBC: I find your theory...different. From what you've been arguing thus far, it seems like you're main thing is those uo look the most innocent are probably the guilty ones. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I see. That is sort of my way of thinking as well. I'm somewhat suspicious of you, but I don't think you're scum. Yet.

Jembot: Unvote. I'm not going to vote you for being busy, but I still have my eye on you.

Makeinu: Town hunting? No sir. Scum hunt town (in a way) and town hunt scum, finding town in the process. This stinks of scum.

Sinlessmoon: lurker. But not scummy. You seem to have a valid excuse. Fear is a powerful thing.

Mastahcheese: All you've done is hunt and push. You seem like the perfect townie. I've found no fault in your reasoning thus far. I'd say town.

Pufferfish: again, just not there. It's hard to form an opinion on someone who's not there.

Nerjin: Same as before.

Persus: Fairly active compared to most. I find this suspicious. It's almost like you're trying to be here while staying unnoticed. This being said, I have seen no strong indication that your scum.

It's not the wall I promised, but it's here.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 06, 2014, 04:59:22 pm »

Wait, so I'm being attacked for lurking and for being active. What?

I'd say active lurking is 10x more of an scumtell...
and you too Persus[/color]
Please state why I'm active-lurking when you throw out that accusation. I fail to see how two of the people you listed constitute as active lurking as Nerjin has repeatedly cited work issues for sparse posts. Jembot and Sinless are just plain lurking, although Jembot has cited reasons why he can't play as much.

MOWE:
SBC: I find your theory...different. From what you've been arguing thus far, it seems like you're main thing is those uo look the most innocent are probably the guilty ones. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I see. That is sort of my way of thinking as well. I'm somewhat suspicious of you, but I don't think you're scum. Yet.
If this is what SBC's arguing, I'd definitely agree with him, sometimes. The goal of scum is to stay unnoticed and seem innocent. This doesn't always work.

Makeinu: Town hunting? No sir. Scum hunt town (in a way) and town hunt scum, finding town in the process. This stinks of scum.
Hunting someone and deciding their town is a perfectly legitimate strategy. I'll agree with you that makeinu seems scummy, but when you're becoming the third vote on a player you need better reasoning than this. Quoting generally helps your case too, unless you're making a false case.

Mastahcheese: All you've done is hunt and push. You seem like the perfect townie. I've found no fault in your reasoning thus far. I'd say town.
I'd agree with you that Mastahcheese seems to be good town. But keep in the back of you mind the possibility that he could be very good scum.

Persus: Fairly active compared to most. I find this suspicious. It's almost like you're trying to be here while staying unnoticed. This being said, I have seen no strong indication that your scum.
I'm glad your suspicious of active players, but activity tends to be a null tell. If you are accusing me of active-lurking, which it seems like you are trying to say judging by your second sentence, then like SBC, I'd like you to back that up with quotes before you accuse me of being scum.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 06, 2014, 05:36:57 pm »

Sinless.... Be here.

I am here, attempting to figure out what to say is a pretty hard thing as I'm not fully aware of how to use strategies. :P

Sinlessmoon: lurker. But not scummy. You seem to have a valid excuse. Fear is a powerful thing.

Indeed, just because I happen to not be active in the thread, doesn't mean I'm not watching the thread intently. People like to believe that just because If I'm inactive, I am scum; In truth though, I could very well be not scum. Someone who is scum is more likely to be active, trying to throw blame on someone in order to get them lynched. Eh Makeinu?

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 06, 2014, 06:12:19 pm »

Persus: I remind you I'm posting from my phone virtually all of the time. Quoting posts of any length is very hard.  I feel makeinu is scummy based on what sounded to me like consciously trying to find town members instead of scum. Also, how he just decides to say he avoided SBC's question to see if he'd push the issue seems rather scummy.

Also, I understand SBC's strategy isn't the best and doesn't always work. I just find myself thinking this way.

I also understand hat mastahcheese is either really good town or really good scum, which I avoided saying, perhaps in a moment of stupidity, to lull them into a false sense of security so they might make a mistake. It seems I watch too many crime shows.  :P

As for you, did you miss the part where I said "I have no strong indication that you're scum"? If I'm going to accuse you, I'm going to have a better reason than "I think you're active-lurking."

Why so defensive?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 06, 2014, 06:58:40 pm »

Persus: I remind you I'm posting from my phone virtually all of the time. Quoting posts of any length is very hard.  I feel makeinu is scummy based on what sounded to me like consciously trying to find town members instead of scum. Also, how he just decides to say he avoided SBC's question to see if he'd push the issue seems rather scummy.
Oh, my bad, I forgot that you used a phone. In that case, I recommend linking to posts if you can and wish to point out something for future reference.

Also, I understand SBC's strategy isn't the best and doesn't always work. I just find myself thinking this way.
And I'd definitely agree with that. The only game I've been scum so far I won partly because I made myself look as town as possible. However, sometimes a scummy person that everyone's going after is actually scum, something I learned for myself fairly recently.

I also understand hat mastahcheese is either really good town or really good scum, which I avoided saying, perhaps in a moment of stupidity, to lull them into a false sense of security so they might make a mistake. It seems I watch too many crime shows.  :P

As for you, did you miss the part where I said "I have no strong indication that you're scum"? If I'm going to accuse you, I'm going to have a better reason than "I think you're active-lurking."
I saw that, I just thought the fact that you were accusing me of being active seemed inconsistent with your comment on Mastahcheese being active and good town.

Why so defensive?
I attack other people's attacks all the time. This one just happened to be directed at me.

Indeed, just because I happen to not be active in the thread, doesn't mean I'm not watching the thread intently. People like to believe that just because If I'm inactive, I am scum; In truth though, I could very well be not scum. Someone who is scum is more likely to be active, trying to throw blame on someone in order to get them lynched. Eh Makeinu?
While it's true that scum tend to be fairly active (I'm more interested and invested in a game when I'm scum, for example), scum's goal is often not to get noticed. Sometimes this means lurking. Lurkers are also annoying to have around as lack of activity can kill a game or make a scum win easier. It also causes town to have less information about that player.

Anyway, if you had to vote this second, who would it be on?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 06, 2014, 07:54:17 pm »

Tiruin:
Granted, my only excuse is lacking net--while overshadowed by the speed, I'm also at fault here for not updating as a primary priority, instead preferring RL.

However, if the game continues to be such, I'm more inclined to copy that state: No flavor, just blank nothingness. I had thought that chat will bloom and blossom; this is DAY ONE, and MOST BMs are double this page length! Normally, I'd just post down the votecount.

But I agree. Heavy prods incoming.
Just for the record, I personally really like reading the flavor you've been adding to the game. It makes it a much better read.
That said, I will upload pictures of spiders if you stop writing them because I know it bothers you.[/sarcasm]

Nerjin:
Blugherfluggle... Gotta love busy times. Sorry folks, I'll be doing another 'read-stravaganza' sometime before the day [actual day, not game-day] ends. Thankfully you guys have finally started posting more so I'll have more to say.
Hopefully your schedule starts to improve, I'll look forward to your reply.

MyOwnWorstEnemy:
@mastahcheese: My only internet access at home is my phone. Hopefully that states your curiosity. I'll give my reads now, but it's going to be shorter than my previous attempt.
-snip-
It's not the wall I promised, but it's here.
Yes, it does sate my curiosity. Thank you for that.
And I find your reads sufficient. I can see you're paying attention.

It may not be the best, and it may not always work, but I also can't think of a strategy that couldn't also be described in this way. I think a fair mix of strategies is best, and so while SBC's strategy is... unusual for forum mafia, I have to give it its merits where due.

Sinlessmoon:

Sinless.... Be here.

I am here, attempting to figure out what to say is a pretty hard thing as I'm not fully aware of how to use strategies. :P
Don't worry about strategies, just go in guns blazing if that's what it takes. If you make a mistake, you can learn from it. But you can't learn nearly as much from watching others as you can from trying things yourself. Get yourself out of your comfort zone. Remember, it's more fun to be active then passive (at least for me) and it's more fun for other people as well when you're active. I'd love to question you and see how you react, but you're not giving me anything to question. If you mess up, that's part of the game, just get out here and join our party.

Indeed, just because I happen to not be active in the thread, doesn't mean I'm not watching the thread intently. People like to believe that just because If I'm inactive, I am scum; In truth though, [1] I could very well be not scum. [2] Someone who is scum is more likely to be active, trying to throw blame on someone in order to get them lynched. Eh Makeinu?
See, now I have a little something to work with.
I'll ignore the parts about being inactive, as I've stated my view on it above.
[1] What do you mean, "could very well be not scum"? Are you scum or not?
[2] I'll agree that scum should do this, but sometimes they don't. That's why lurkers can be so dangerous.

Persus13:
Why so defensive?
I attack other people's attacks all the time. This one just happened to be directed at me.
This makes me wonder, what are your views on jumping in to other people's scumhunting? There seems to be offending viewpoints on the subject, and I want to know what your stance on the matter is.

Persus13 and MOWE:

I'd agree with you that Mastahcheese seems to be good town. But keep in the back of you mind the possibility that he could be very good scum.
I also understand hat mastahcheese is either really good town or really good scum, [1] which I avoided saying, perhaps in a moment of stupidity, to lull them into a false sense of security so they might make a mistake. [2] It seems I watch too many crime shows.  :P
Wow, for my first game ever I wasn't expecting complements. Whether I'm town or scum, at least I'd be considered "good" at it. Thank you guys.
[1] Yes, you should have mentioned it, I could be scum, or I could just be a vanilla townie who doesn't give a s#!% if I make a huge target out of myself because I have no useful role apart from scum hunting, which lets me be as carefree and daring as I please. But there's always the chance I'm scum. Don't ever forget that.
[2] You can never watch too many crime shows.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 06, 2014, 08:43:46 pm »

While it's true that scum tend to be fairly active (I'm more interested and invested in a game when I'm scum, for example), scum's goal is often not to get noticed. Sometimes this means lurking. Lurkers are also annoying to have around as lack of activity can kill a game or make a scum win easier. It also causes town to have less information about that player.

Anyway, if you had to vote this second, who would it be on?

While true, it would be much more likely (in my opinion) that scum would be really active. Lurking on the other hand seems counter-intuitive to the scums goal which would be to get other players lynched. Although this comes from a guy who's only real forum mafia game is this one... Well, lets just say that take it with a large helping of salt. :P

Also, to who I would vote on? Makeinu would be that person, he seems overly suspicious and seems to be very pro-lynch towards everyone. I just don't trust him.

Don't worry about strategies, just go in guns blazing if that's what it takes. If you make a mistake, you can learn from it. But you can't learn nearly as much from watching others as you can from trying things yourself. Get yourself out of your comfort zone. Remember, it's more fun to be active then passive (at least for me) and it's more fun for other people as well when you're active. I'd love to question you and see how you react, but you're not giving me anything to question. If you mess up, that's part of the game, just get out here and join our party.

I prefer not to mess up though. :P But you're right, that's why I have been putting a lot more effort into my posts. I'm definitely still not where I want to be in terms of being able to play forum Mafia well, but hey; I'm trying right?

Indeed, just because I happen to not be active in the thread, doesn't mean I'm not watching the thread intently. People like to believe that just because If I'm inactive, I am scum; In truth though, [1] I could very well be not scum. [2] Someone who is scum is more likely to be active, trying to throw blame on someone in order to get them lynched. Eh Makeinu?
See, now I have a little something to work with.
I'll ignore the parts about being inactive, as I've stated my view on it above.

I am not scum, I was simply referring to the fact that people seem to believe that if someone is inactive, they are scum. The reason why I was saying that was to give credit to the possibility that lurkers could in fact be scum, instead of outright denying that possibility.

[2] I'll agree that scum should do this, but sometimes they don't. That's why lurkers can be so dangerous.

I'd rather scum be active, I can see why lurkers could be dangerous, but on one hand; they might just be busy. I was lurking just because I wasn't really sure of how to initiate myself. Now however, you can see that I'm not lurking and creating informative posts. (Relatively. :P )

So far, the two players on my watch list are Makeinu, and Superblackcat. Both seem equally suspicious in the way they seem to be incredibly pro-lynch.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 06, 2014, 09:03:45 pm »

I prefer not to mess up though. :P But you're right, that's why I have been putting a lot more effort into my posts. I'm definitely still not where I want to be in terms of being able to play forum Mafia well, but hey; I'm trying right?
Yes, I can see you are trying, and thank you for that. And while I can completely understand the "not wanting to mess up" bit, you can learn a lot from them.

I am not scum, I was simply referring to the fact that people seem to believe that if someone is inactive, they are scum. The reason why I was saying that was to give credit to the possibility that lurkers could in fact be scum, instead of outright denying that possibility.
Thank you for clarifying that. And thank you for not denying that.

I'd rather scum be active, I can see why lurkers could be dangerous, but on one hand; they might just be busy. I was lurking just because I wasn't really sure of how to initiate myself. Now however, you can see that I'm not lurking and creating informative posts. (Relatively. :P )
You're definitely doing better. Hopefully you'll feel more inclined to initiate actions as you feel more comfortable.

So far, the two players on my watch list are Makeinu, and Superblackcat. Both seem equally suspicious in the way they seem to be incredibly pro-lynch.
They do seem to both be pro-lynch, but SBC at least may the point that they prefer lynching for information, rather than just for the heck of it, making a case that at least we can gain some ammunition from it to fuel an investigation. Like going back to the "not wanting to mess up" part, let's say we do mis-lynch. Yes, we've lost a member of the town, and someone who could have helped scum-hunt, but at least we can use the information we can gleam from it to try to discover why the mis-lynch happened, and to not do so again.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving Gifts of Bad Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 06, 2014, 09:39:03 pm »

Sinless: I'll tell you why we seem pro-lynch...

Right now. We are 7/2. That's 7 total players, and 2 mafia.

This... This right now, is the one and only time where we have a ML. Meaning we can lynch someone without immediate consequence.

If we don't lynch today.
Unless JK manages to protect, we will be down to 6/2. That's 6 total people and 2 mafia. At this point, it is a MYLO, meaning you will lose if you mislynch. Anything after that will either be a mylo, lylo, or town loss.

If we do lynch today
We will be down to 5/2, that is 5 players and 2 mafia. That is where the above ^ would end up, but with an extra day. This is Lylo, Lynch or Lose. If you don't lynch correctly you lose.

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 06, 2014, 09:40:43 pm »

Argghh forgot about you Persus:

I said it, first as a poke to get more substance out of you, but second, and more important. I don't remember really anything you've said. That means that what you've said doesn't stick. Usually, that's one of my measures for active lurking. What the person says doesn't have an enough of an impact on the game for myself to remember it off the top of my head.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 06, 2014, 09:42:39 pm »

Sinless: I'll tell you why we seem pro-lynch...

Right now. We are 7/2. That's 7 total players, and 2 mafia.

This... This right now, is the one and only time where we have a ML. Meaning we can lynch someone without immediate consequence.

If we don't lynch today.
Unless JK manages to protect, we will be down to 6/2. That's 6 total people and 2 mafia. At this point, it is a MYLO, meaning you will lose if you mislynch. Anything after that will either be a mylo, lylo, or town loss.

If we do lynch today
We will be down to 5/2, that is 5 players and 2 mafia. That is where the above ^ would end up, but with an extra day. This is Lylo, Lynch or Lose. If you don't lynch correctly you lose.
That's one of the best arguments for lynching I've seen.
Sigtext

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 06, 2014, 09:43:40 pm »

That better not be sarcastic! >:c

Do we get a lurker tracker for this game Tir Tir!?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 06, 2014, 09:54:10 pm »

Argghh forgot about you Persus:

I said it, first as a poke to get more substance out of you, but second, and more important. I don't remember really anything you've said. That means that what you've said doesn't stick. Usually, that's one of my measures for active lurking. What the person says doesn't have an enough of an impact on the game for myself to remember it off the top of my head.
That's a good definition of active lurking. I may use that.

Also, I've been meaning to ask this. Given your experience as scum, how do you think your scumhunting technique works measured against that?

Persus13:
Why so defensive?
This makes me wonder, what are your views on jumping in to other people's scumhunting? There seems to be offending viewpoints on the subject, and I want to know what your stance on the matter is.
Do it, especially later on. Sometimes this is called chainsaw defending or coming to the defense of someone else. However, if I have an issue with someone's argument, I'll attack it, because scum will sometimes have weak or bad attacks. I know that when I was scum, one problem I had was making up attacks on people because I knew they were town. I found one scum D1 this way in the last Mafia game I played.
Sigtext

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 06, 2014, 09:54:53 pm »

That better not be sarcastic! >:c
It isn't, that's one of the neatest summaries I've seen.
Sigtext

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 06, 2014, 10:15:04 pm »

Persus: My experience of scum here is horrid

Fake claiming as a third party, and then getting killed for claiming as that third party. Because it's dangerous.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 38