Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll atm

:)
:(

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 110

Author Topic: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 169755 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: [WARLOCK] - Day 21 - Beta V0.5 - Torture Chamber and Prisoners
« Reply #795 on: January 21, 2014, 08:40:11 pm »

I'm trying to play the latest build but Warlock fortress mode is grayed out... :(
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Denisac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: January 22, 2014, 12:42:25 am »

Was trying out the v5 build and I got a child ghoul and a child skeleton as part of my first migration wave.  Not sure if that is intended.

Edit:  I also seem to be running into starving/dehydrating keepers of knowledge for some reason.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 01:04:24 am by Denisac »

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: January 22, 2014, 01:23:11 am »

Some more v4 Feedback:

-Really fun and easy to get a pack of Ghouls with simple leather armor and bone scourges to do the hunting for souls.  I simply put all of them to the Ghoul Master squad.  They seem unhappy constantly, but haven't started anything about it yet.  The only problem here is the lack of range weapons which makes hunting fast creatures down a problem.  Sure they can use bows, but never really hit what they are shooting.  Really useful to use for many of the labors that will not need specialization - which I have them all assigned to do between pack hunts.  Ghouls are master wall builders as the time involved is more moving blocks and less the construction time.

-Skeletons on the other hand seem to be short on supply.  Because they are the only (potential) skilled labor for many things, it's more important to inscribe them for specialties instead of using them for war right now.  I recommend building several inscripters to speed the process up since they are cheap buildings.  There isn't however many skills you truly need to be advanced if you counter with lots of labor and extra workshops to get replace the speed for volume.  I haven't upgraded their bones yet since I haven't fixed it to allow the Crypt Lord squad.  I only have 4, and the 5th I built was not yet historical, so I can't get him to a squad.  Any tricks to make this happen easier? It's either make a masterwork (hard with no skill training) or kill something (hard with no squading)?

-Warlocks(& witches & vamps) I feel I have too many.  They've been 50% of the population so far.  I learned that I need to have them use their labor specialties better, but initially they have just been haulers and odd-job doers.  One of the first things needed is to take gems and stones and cut them to jewels for the skeleton inscribing.  The graveyard keeps 1 busy non-stop as well.  The other item is 1 or 2 ethereal portals for the free blocks and good training practice.  All these workshops takes up a lot of real estate, so I worry about how to keep them busy when I have 50+.  Perhaps they should also have farming (planting) and brewing skills?  Don't think skeletons would make good green thumbs and the darker plants would be needed.

-The furniture planning Add-on seems to be bugged.  After "planning" for objects to be placed, even with suitable items in stock, nothing is getting moved into place.  I am not sure if the ethereal items are related to it, but it's also a problem with doors, statues, and other items I have not made with the portal. 

- Recommendations for players.  Get a graveyard, ethereal portal, and Necro Shrine (skip circle for use on traps and ambushes) and Soul Syphon together early.  These will keep your warlock busy while you play more traditionally with the skeletons and ghouls with masons, carpenters, blacksmiths, etc.  The boneforge will be enough to make initial ghoul arms and armor. 

-With all the mephits, I didn't need any additional security yet, as well as they make it fine keeping an open surface encampment while your initial dungeon and tower is underway.  I may slaughter them for bones/souls next time, but a couple of them was pulling legs off a Forest Spider with ease, so they are tough little buggers.  Certainly seem to be worth their own soul over a wisp.
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: January 22, 2014, 06:11:51 am »

PD: It kinda works, despite the grayed x, but I get this as soon as I embark and set an order to dig out something:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   Dwarf Fortress.exe
  Application Version:   0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:   4fcc9488
  Fault Module Name:   SDL.dll
  Fault Module Version:   0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:   526ab9ea
  Exception Code:   c0000005
  Exception Offset:   000f2b05
  OS Version:   6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
  Locale ID:   3082
  Additional Information 1:   0a9e
  Additional Information 2:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:   0a9e
  Additional Information 4:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 07:37:18 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Nuttycompa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: January 22, 2014, 08:25:40 am »

Did you use advance worldgen?
Did your miner skelaton turn oppose to life?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: January 22, 2014, 09:28:33 am »

So, I brought along some blood wolves at embark. One of them immediately attacked a warlock and the other became opposed to life and ran off to kill a bobcat.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #801 on: January 22, 2014, 09:42:13 am »

So, I brought along some blood wolves at embark. One of them immediately attacked a warlock and the other became opposed to life and ran off to kill a bobcat.
Thats fine, they are opposed to life by default. they are evil critters from evil biomes. Not my fault if you buy them at embark :P (did the warlock die?)

PD: It kinda works, despite the grayed x, but I get this as soon as I embark and set an order to dig out something:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   Dwarf Fortress.exe
  Application Version:   0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:   4fcc9488
  Fault Module Name:   SDL.dll
  Fault Module Version:   0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:   526ab9ea
  Exception Code:   c0000005
  Exception Offset:   000f2b05
  OS Version:   6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
  Locale ID:   3082
  Additional Information 1:   0a9e
  Additional Information 2:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:   0a9e
  Additional Information 4:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
It that something linux related? I cant help with that.

Was trying out the v5 build and I got a child ghoul and a child skeleton as part of my first migration wave.  Not sure if that is intended.

Edit:  I also seem to be running into starving/dehydrating keepers of knowledge for some reason.
Crap. I might have to remove Witches. No female civ members. That would also mean no dungeon mistress, but thats the price to pay, if the worldgen ignores that sterile tag.  :-X

-With all the mephits, I didn't need any additional security yet, as well as they make it fine keeping an open surface encampment while your initial dungeon and tower is underway.  I may slaughter them for bones/souls next time, but a couple of them was pulling legs off a Forest Spider with ease, so they are tough little buggers.  Certainly seem to be worth their own soul over a wisp.
Thats good. I want to make people feel save, not to hurry with moats and walls.

-The furniture planning Add-on seems to be bugged.  After "planning" for objects to be placed, even with suitable items in stock, nothing is getting moved into place.  I am not sure if the ethereal items are related to it, but it's also a problem with doors, statues, and other items I have not made with the portal. 
Thats falconnes territory. I havent used that plugin yet, so better ask him. :)

-Warlocks(& witches & vamps) I feel I have too many.  They've been 50% of the population so far.  I learned that I need to have them use their labor specialties better, but initially they have just been haulers and odd-job doers.  One of the first things needed is to take gems and stones and cut them to jewels for the skeleton inscribing.  The graveyard keeps 1 busy non-stop as well.  The other item is 1 or 2 ethereal portals for the free blocks and good training practice.  All these workshops takes up a lot of real estate, so I worry about how to keep them busy when I have 50+.  Perhaps they should also have farming (planting) and brewing skills?  Don't think skeletons would make good green thumbs and the darker plants would be needed.
You shouldnt get migrants, remember. Only 2 waves. So whatever you have in Warlocks, its just the embark, and 2 waves of migrants. After that you get no new ones.

-Skeletons on the other hand seem to be short on supply.  Because they are the only (potential) skilled labor for many things, it's more important to inscribe them for specialties instead of using them for war right now.  I recommend building several inscripters to speed the process up since they are cheap buildings.  There isn't however many skills you truly need to be advanced if you counter with lots of labor and extra workshops to get replace the speed for volume.  I haven't upgraded their bones yet since I haven't fixed it to allow the Crypt Lord squad.  I only have 4, and the 5th I built was not yet historical, so I can't get him to a squad.  Any tricks to make this happen easier? It's either make a masterwork (hard with no skill training) or kill something (hard with no squading)?
That gives me a good idea: I could give skeletons bonecarving skill. Naturally level 10 in it, or something like that. This way you can easily have them make a masterwork item quickly. :)

-Really fun and easy to get a pack of Ghouls with simple leather armor and bone scourges to do the hunting for souls.  I simply put all of them to the Ghoul Master squad.  They seem unhappy constantly, but haven't started anything about it yet.  The only problem here is the lack of range weapons which makes hunting fast creatures down a problem.  Sure they can use bows, but never really hit what they are shooting.  Really useful to use for many of the labors that will not need specialization - which I have them all assigned to do between pack hunts.  Ghouls are master wall builders as the time involved is more moving blocks and less the construction time.
Arent ghouls fast enough to take down most prey even without ranged weapons?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: January 22, 2014, 09:45:22 am »

The warlock didn't die, I quickly drafted my ghouls and had them kill the wolf while it was biting my warlock's hand.

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: January 22, 2014, 09:56:34 am »

small bug report (not really a bug, dont know what to call it):

My warlocks are using withered souls fo phylacteries, gonna assume thats not intended.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: January 22, 2014, 09:57:04 am »

small bug report (not really a bug, dont know what to call it):

My warlocks are using withered souls fo phylacteries, gonna assume thats not intended.
Meph said it's intended.

Nuttycompa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: January 22, 2014, 10:01:10 am »

Crap. I might have to remove Witches. No female civ members. That would also mean no dungeon mistress, but thats the price to pay, if the worldgen ignores that sterile tag.  :-X
Don't do that, I see the skelaton child as a flavor and the thing that remind me of how cruel can this world be "Death don't care how young you are, it don't care how much time you think you have left, it don't care what you had done and what you haven't, the death will come to you (and then some crazy warlock will resurrect you to be his midget skelaton :P)"

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #806 on: January 22, 2014, 10:14:47 am »

I have to do it. The civ MUST die out in worldgen. Thats essential. Otherwise you get migrants, which I dont want. As long as they can breed in worldgen, they will not die out.

Or someone can tell me a another trick to make them die out ^^
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: January 22, 2014, 10:19:24 am »

I have to do it. The civ MUST die out in worldgen. Thats essential. Otherwise you get migrants, which I dont want. As long as they can breed in worldgen, they will not die out.
Or someone can tell me a another trick to make them die out ^^

Does that also mean that warlocks won't send ambushes/sieges any more in dwarf mode? :(

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: January 22, 2014, 10:23:38 am »

It's from windows. I did use advanced worldgen, although I stopped it early. The skeletons do display as opposed to life.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #809 on: January 22, 2014, 10:25:42 am »

fricy: Yes. Thats the idea. You dont want slade-throwing warlocks with near-golem grade skeletons attacking you? (or do you? ^^)

ChairmanPoo: I dont know. Looks like something dfhack related, since it mentions the SDL.dll.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 110