Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which upcoming/recently-released game has you most hyped?

fire emblem: waifu roulette
- 2 (16.7%)
fire emblem: fates except with even more weird gimmicks
- 5 (41.7%)
fire emblem: who even knows
- 5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 70

Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Watch the Fire Emblem Direct for old game annoucements!  (Read 98453 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem: Fates is out!
« Reply #435 on: February 26, 2016, 12:07:39 am »

the votes are in: the evil nation has the best waifus!

i apologize for the low-quality poll; i will make a better one when i actually have the game
How 'bout a hasbando vote? :P
I feel like another bad poll would push someone to start a new thread.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 26, 2016, 01:24:42 am »

The first couple of DLC maps are out! One of them is for EXP grinding - lots of monsters, some worth normal amounts of exp and attack your units, others which are far more valuable try to flee but have much better stats and hit like trucks. If you find yourself hitting a wall in Conquest it might be worth a play-through just to give your units a bit of an edge.

The second map is far more unusual. It plays more like a scenario - although the characters are familiar, their stats and inventory and classes might be nothing like what you have. You choose from a variety of preset teams to play with, which are much smaller than you might be used to. It's very silly and does not attempt to hide that fact at all. Supposedly the reward for completion is some artwork.

I'm gonna go ahead and draw the line at purchasing DLC to negate one of the main draws of Conquest, that being the absence of grinding. First you pay money to have an adventure built around not being allowed to grind, then paying more money to go back to grinding? That sounds self-defeating on the same level as buying a trivia game, then buying a guide that just tells you all the answers.
Up to you, dude. I've got a dozen extra maps to eventually try out (not counting the free Awakening DLC), at least some of which have unique prizes for victory, and when I get around to Birthright and Revelations I'll be able to play them then too. Nothing wrong with some extra content.

On an unrelated note, I just now discovered a neat little feature in My Castle. Press the L button while wandering around, and the view will shift into an over-the-shoulder 3D persepective. While you can't walk around (as far as I know), you do get to check out your fortress from a grounds-eye view. Any of your soldiers standing around will be visible as well.

On a third note, what do people tend to do with Mozu? I can't decide whether to promote her from villager (BOTH of those promoted classes sound interesting) or switch her to a different class and promote from there.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 01:32:24 am by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 26, 2016, 08:01:01 am »

I'm gonna go ahead and draw the line at purchasing DLC to negate one of the main draws of Conquest, that being the absence of grinding. First you pay money to have an adventure built around not being allowed to grind, then paying more money to go back to grinding? That sounds self-defeating on the same level as buying a trivia game, then buying a guide that just tells you all the answers.
You're upset about not being able to train certain units... and then almost offended when you'e offered an alternative way to train those units.
Black lives matter.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 26, 2016, 09:56:06 am »

You're upset about not being able to train certain units... and then almost offended when you'e offered an alternative way to train those units.

I'm offended that I'm offered to PAY to train up units. I want to reference my earlier post a couple pages back, about where giving players the option to circumvent challenges is irresponsible, and then replace the word 'irresponsible' with 'predatory' because that's what it is. That's the essence of Pay2win.

The first couple of DLC maps are out! One of them is for EXP grinding - lots of monsters, some worth normal amounts of exp and attack your units, others which are far more valuable try to flee but have much better stats and hit like trucks. If you find yourself hitting a wall in Conquest it might be worth a play-through just to give your units a bit of an edge.

The second map is far more unusual. It plays more like a scenario - although the characters are familiar, their stats and inventory and classes might be nothing like what you have. You choose from a variety of preset teams to play with, which are much smaller than you might be used to. It's very silly and does not attempt to hide that fact at all. Supposedly the reward for completion is some artwork.

On an unrelated note, I just now discovered a neat little feature in My Castle. Press the L button while wandering around, and the view will shift into an over-the-shoulder 3D persepective. While you can't walk around (as far as I know), you do get to check out your fortress from a grounds-eye view. Any of your soldiers standing around will be visible as well.

On a third note, what do people tend to do with Mozu? I can't decide whether to promote her from villager (BOTH of those promoted classes sound interesting) or switch her to a different class and promote from there.

Yeah I discovered the 3rd person perspective by accident a while back while trying to access the guide, and that perspective is cool, too bad you can't do anything with it. Plus, all those statues of characters you might have all around the place? Those statues don't resemble who they're supposed to be at all, and that's disappointing to me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 09:58:05 am by JoshuaFH »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 26, 2016, 09:58:28 am »

Its like the neonivek opinion, but for fire emblem.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 26, 2016, 10:05:47 am »

Its like the neonivek opinion, but for fire emblem.

I feel like my opinion there is being misrepresented badly, it's not strictly that I was disappointed about not being able to train units, it's being disappointed that at a certain point, units just become useless because training them up legitimately through the chapters becomes impossible. All those useless characters aren't dead, but they might as well be. I'd have just liked some way to make them useful, and that's not necessarily saying I want to train them, having harmless & benign tasks I could set them to would be cool. Like, you know how there's just random characters farming, mining, tending shops, running the lottery, whatever? Instead of that being random, you could just control that and make it those characters' jobs permanently, and then they just specialize in getting better at those domestic duties instead of being soldiers. That'd have been cool.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 26, 2016, 12:22:07 pm »

Looking around in other castle accessory shops it seems like you can give characters accessories that make them more likely to serve in various jobs. I  doubt that they actually get better at those jobs, but it's something like what you wanted.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 26, 2016, 01:05:35 pm »

In other news, I finally overcome my fear of commitment and just decided to take the big step: advancing Silas and Effie to S rank lurve status, thus opening up a Paralogue mission.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 01:08:09 pm by JoshuaFH »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 26, 2016, 02:26:28 pm »

awakening wasn't even that bad, i say, having only ever played awakening (and sacred stones), my first fire emblem, and having about 80 hours in it
Black lives matter.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 26, 2016, 04:08:30 pm »

Chapter 12 will end me, I just know it. I followed Joshua's strategy, buffing my team more than last time. I even had an extra level or two on my team, and an extra support here and there.
And then those mid-map ninjas, the ones I always breezed past? They dual-guarded twice in a row before bringing Beruka from nearly-full to 0 in a single round.
I'M MORE POWERFUL THAN THE LAST FEW TIMES I ATTEMPTED THIS CHAPTER AND DIED *EARLIER* THAN BEFORE

I had to put the game down at that point.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 26, 2016, 04:13:02 pm »

Just L+R+Start, curse True Hit's removal if you so please, and try again.
Black lives matter.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 26, 2016, 04:37:00 pm »

Chapter 12 will end me, I just know it. I followed Joshua's strategy, buffing my team more than last time. I even had an extra level or two on my team, and an extra support here and there.
And then those mid-map ninjas, the ones I always breezed past? They dual-guarded twice in a row before bringing Beruka from nearly-full to 0 in a single round.
I'M MORE POWERFUL THAN THE LAST FEW TIMES I ATTEMPTED THIS CHAPTER AND DIED *EARLIER* THAN BEFORE

I had to put the game down at that point.

I believe in you Sirus! Saizo is a tough guy, he ended a couple of my attempts as well.

Ninjas and enemies that debuff your guys are going to become increasingly common as you progress through the game, so get used to getting debuffed now.

Right now I'm on Chapter 21, and I've encountered the most terrible enemy of all: enemies that have a skill called "Void Curse", reading 'this unit does not give any EXP'.... Nooooo!

But serious, this mission is PRIMED to be a pain in the ass, since there was a cutscene immediately prior that basically went "What!? None of his units are dying? WE'LL FIX THAT! MUWAHAHAHA!"

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 26, 2016, 05:17:39 pm »

Hearing all these horror stories from Conquest, I'm kind of glad I'm playing Birthright. I just beat chapter 16 (which foiled me a few times) by grinding like a madman until most of my units reached an advanced class. Feels kind of cheaty, but the enemy placement in that level was just evil.

Looking forward to Conquest when I eventually beat Birthright, though. Since FE7 was my first game, I know what it's like to have limited resources.

On a rather different topic concerning S level supports:

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 26, 2016, 09:22:51 pm »

Haha, beat Chapter 21. That was a tough bastard of a level, you guys are gonna love it.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 26, 2016, 09:26:43 pm »

Have my fellow Nohrians been having any luck with Arthur? I just reclassed him into a Hero for Chapter 20 and gave him a custom axe (which I named "Justaxe"), and now he's a complete monster who can beat a fair number of the enemies in any given level in a single hit.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 70