Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which upcoming/recently-released game has you most hyped?

fire emblem: waifu roulette
- 2 (16.7%)
fire emblem: fates except with even more weird gimmicks
- 5 (41.7%)
fire emblem: who even knows
- 5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 70

Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Watch the Fire Emblem Direct for old game annoucements!  (Read 97727 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem: Avatar X Levin Sword is my OTP
« Reply #945 on: January 20, 2017, 11:07:11 am »

The tears of the Lord are upon my cheeks. Hallelujah.
Black lives matter.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem: Watch the Fire Emblem Direct for new game annoucements!
« Reply #946 on: January 20, 2017, 11:21:21 am »

Quick thoughts:
Fire Emblem Echoes I can't actually remember the subtitle looks pretty neat, and I've heard hilarious things about Gaiden, the game it's a remake of. Definitely a buy, for me.

We know basically nothing about Fire Emblem Switch, aside from the obvious.

The upcoming mobile name (Google? what's that?) looks a bit too simple, IMO—no skills, as far as I can tell, though it's possible that they just haven't shown them off yet.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: January 20, 2017, 11:27:00 am »

I look forward to having more things to eagerly buy and then complain about endlessly.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: January 20, 2017, 11:38:14 am »

I look forward to having more things to eagerly buy and then complain about endlessly.
If the more recent FE games are any indication, I'm sure there will be something for everyone to rag on:P

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing how they redesign all of the characters from Gaiden. Alm and Celica are already looking sharp; it's gonna be neat seeing how the rest of the older designs transform. Also, since I've never actually played the original game, it'll be a totally new experience, which is awesome.

Edit -
Also, did that guy just dodge straight into an attack animation?!

... It's a whole new world.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 11:52:54 am by Nighthawk »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: January 21, 2017, 09:50:25 am »

I'm just gonna start the preemptive complaining:

While a remake of Gaiden is cool and all, I feel like there's a couple steps backwards that are happening here. Remaking such an older entry in the series ties their hands, and I wonder if they'll basically be forced to ignore a lot of the balancing changes and improvements that occurred later in the series for the sake of the older authenticity. Bah, I know I'm gonna buy it anyway, and it looks like a lot of awesome new stuff is getting added.

But I hate that they're announcing an FE that will releasing in 2018!!! Like, we just started 2017, you really gotta start hyping it up this early? I'm already impatient.

The mobile one looks like utter garbage. I heard "mobile" and was already suspicious, and I saw the microtransactions and all my suspicions were confirmed. It's atleast nice to know that they think FE is a good enough IP that it can now be whored out.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: January 21, 2017, 05:32:32 pm »

Gaiden is cool, and I'm happy there'll be a remake of it; I'm interested in seeing how they'll handle things that make no sense in the context of modern FEs (like magic spells being learned forever and cast from HP, or everybody having a one-item "inventory" where they can keep an upgraded weapon, shield, or accessory.)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: January 22, 2017, 04:09:34 pm »

Am I the only one who's lost patience for the combat animations over the years?  I loved the gorgeous sprite art on the gameboy advance but the animations in the 3D ones are bland AF.  There's a half dozen interesting animations in every game, usually relegated to the final bosses and late game main characters.  The rest are just "walk up, spin weapon if crit, hit with weapon."  The models aren't even that much better zoomed in.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: January 22, 2017, 04:11:01 pm »

I have to agree. Although, recent games at least have given the option to just turn them off.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: January 22, 2017, 04:37:31 pm »

Am I the only one who's lost patience for the combat animations over the years?  I loved the gorgeous sprite art on the gameboy advance but the animations in the 3D ones are bland AF.  There's a half dozen interesting animations in every game, usually relegated to the final bosses and late game main characters.  The rest are just "walk up, spin weapon if crit, hit with weapon."  The models aren't even that much better zoomed in.

This another case where the quality dropped after 4. In FE4, characters are jumping and juking around the screen and doing cool stuff. It wasn't uncommon in longer fights to have characters fight, one would jump over or run straight through the other, switch places and have to turn around to face eachother again. In my 8 playthroughs of the game I never got sick of the animations and never felt the need to turn them off because they were interesting and entertaining in a way that had real staying power, whereas with every installment of FE 6 and onward, turning them off and just having the sprites bump into eachother as the shorthand for combat was an improvement over the stale animations that were just "Ok, I move, then go back to my original spot, then you move, and go back to your spot. We're really fighting alright."

Again, every game has to measure up to how good 4 was.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: January 22, 2017, 06:28:45 pm »

Well, here I am playing devil's advocate, I guess.

Personally, I've never really gotten sick of the animations in the newer games. In Fates especially, the combination of satisfying weapon impacts (I love hitstop, it's the best thing since sliced bread) and silly character quips during fights is entertaining enough that I usually keep them on. There are times when I turn them off for the sake of efficiency, yeah, but I rather like watching the fights, especially when using attack stance to beat down on enemies. It feels good.

I'm not the same breed of Fire Emblem fan that a number of you are, though; I only started playing at FE7, then played just about every game that came to the west after that. I never really got a taste of the older ones.

For the record, I do miss some of the awesome animations from the GBA games, but losing some of those crazy moves in return for extra animations (difference between basic attacks, double attacks, finishers, through attacks, etc.) is a fair trade in my mind.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: January 22, 2017, 06:48:40 pm »

I've always liked having the animations.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: January 23, 2017, 05:17:28 pm »

I've done a mix. Usually I play with the animations off, though.

Also, I recently did my first (and second) proper warpskip + mine glitch. FE7, the penultimate chapter and the (Eliwood mode) chapter with 5 units.

Beating a huge map in 3 turns is really satisfying.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: February 02, 2017, 08:53:05 pm »

Hey nerds, the mobile game Fire Emblem Heroes has been released. At least in Japan and the States, anyway.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: February 03, 2017, 07:46:48 am »

Also in Europe. I've been playing it - it's pretty generic, all told. I think they're trying to cash in off the success of Final Fantasy: Record Keeper or whatever it was called. Same idea, collect all the noteworthy heroes from all the series. Bad guy empire is evil because royal family is bugnuts, all is normal.

Fire Emblem things I've noticed - they have the weapon's triangle, but weapons don't have a use count (thank God). I'm not far enough yet to see if you can upgrade weapons.

Overall, looks to be a decent timewaster.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: February 03, 2017, 11:07:12 am »

Yeah, it's decent. If there stops being an relatively straightforward way to farm orbs once you've finished the story missions, though, getting more characters in your party is quickly going to become a very apparent cash-grab.

It's not all bad. As much as it's clearly part of the money-making formula, I actually kind of like the random aspect of which characters you end up getting. I went into ye olde gacha summoning machine hoping for a couple of different characters, and got none of them, but found myself pleasantly surprised by getting some characters I had forgotten about in previous games.

Overall? It's a neat way to reminisce about the good old days, and the game is a little too simple and generic to take seriously, so I don't really feel pressured to spend money on it.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 70