Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 224649 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #135 on: April 07, 2014, 08:45:45 pm »

Mafiascum actually gives the GM moderator powers over their own thread, it's pretty cool.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 11, 2014, 07:18:21 am »

Super Mod Mafia

Eight Mods, Eight Games, Seven Players In Each Game, One Thread, A Whole Lot of Mafia.

Each mod creates a seven player set-up, signing up the other seven mods. They send out roles and start their day in the thread.

Every time a player votes, they vote in all games they're playing in.

If a player is lynched or night killed, they only die in the game they were killed in. (But if there are no vote shenanigans, usually a player will be lynched in all games at the same time.)

Super Mod Mafia ends when all its composite mafia games end. The winners are those that win the most games.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 11, 2014, 07:25:16 am »

That would hurt my brain to play. Especially if a person was a confirmed townie in one game, but a confirmed scum in the other.

Also inb4 one 'uber scum' person whom the RNG loves.

But on the topic of crazy intense games:
Samurai Panic.
I take this role.
1. Samurai
Action: During the night you can choose to protect someone, which will defend them against any hostile actions. However, once you have chosen a person to protect, you are then bonded to them and can only protect that singular person until game end or they die by some other means (lynching, usually). But you do get a chat.
If you accidentally swear fealty to a ninja, tough luck, you become a scum too- regardless of whom you bond yourself to afterwards.
And give it to every player.
It's like an ultimate Mafia vs Cult

Optional: Lord, Daimyo and Shogun roles which appear when a person has X amount of samurai bonded to them.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 11, 2014, 07:02:06 pm »

I actually thought of running a game where every player was a cult leader, and the first person to become a member of all cults won, with only like one or two players that were "hunters" and would revenge-kill anyone that tried to convert them.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 11, 2014, 10:20:44 pm »

I actually thought of running a game where every player was a cult leader, and the first person to become a member of all cults won, with only like one or two players that were "hunters" and would revenge-kill anyone that tried to convert them.
I'd play this.

Oh, I came to this thread because... well, not to get a sense of the meta, but because I have a somewhat Bastard Mod setup I'd like to propose. Notquitethere proposed a very similar idea, so I'll spoiler mine.

Spoiler: Multi Mini Mafia (click to show/hide)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 15, 2014, 08:38:23 pm »

Let me break that for you.

"Everyone convert the player below you on the list!"

*2 5 and 7 die*

"Okay, 3, 6, and 8 are hunters; now round-robin convert everyone else and all living players win!"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 15, 2014, 09:19:07 pm »

Let me break that for you.

"Everyone convert the player below you on the list!"

*2 5 and 7 die*

"Okay, 3, 6, and 8 are hunters; now round-robin convert everyone else and all living players win!"

It would work if the mod didn't reveal roles.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 15, 2014, 09:32:31 pm »

It would work if the mod didn't reveal roles.
This was the idea, nobody would know about the other cults, at least not at first.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 15, 2014, 09:35:03 pm »

To be fair that plan wouldn't actually work because cult leaders should refuse to convert people they think are hunters.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 16, 2014, 10:59:48 am »

I'm really tempted to run a batshit-insane power-hungry game that will almost certainly be woefully imbalanced.  Just because it could be chaotically fun, the way a free-for-all melee is fun.

Maybe something like ... send in 5 Xylbot roles, I'll pick two at random from those five and another two at random and now you've got 4 abilities, go nuts.  No balancing of powers, just random what-the-hell-ever-ness. 

Am I the only one who thinks this would be amusing?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 16, 2014, 11:05:13 am »

I'd play that. Would you still only be able to use one action a day or what?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 16, 2014, 11:08:29 am »

I'm really tempted to run a batshit-insane power-hungry game that will almost certainly be woefully imbalanced.  Just because it could be chaotically fun, the way a free-for-all melee is fun.

Maybe something like ... send in 5 Xylbot roles, I'll pick two at random from those five and another two at random and now you've got 4 abilities, go nuts.  No balancing of powers, just random what-the-hell-ever-ness. 

Am I the only one who thinks this would be amusing?
No, I'd also want to play it.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 16, 2014, 11:18:56 am »

I'd play that. Would you still only be able to use one action a day or what?
Depends on what you get.  Hmm.  The role list doesn't seem to indicate any "free" abilities, so I might consider something like ... for each ability you get, you have a chance of getting a modifier on it.  Like a 1-in-10 chance of it being "free" so you can use it once during its respective phase and it doesn't count against your action limit.  Or a 1-in-5 chance of it being a "chaotic" ability in which it will change into something else after you use it.

So, potentially, you could use 4 (or maybe more) actions per phase. 

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 16, 2014, 11:53:13 am »

Might as well just run a Chaos or an Australian setup from Xylbot at that point.  That would at least make the game more varied rather than pitting a bunch of kill-immune killers against each other.

Quote from: Australian, slashes separate choices
mafia: Ascetic Reflecter*/Combined Reflecter Disabler*/Day Disabler Unstable Clone*,Eavesdropper/Mimic/Shuffler; survivor: Peeping Tom/Sleeper Reviver Survivor*/Witch Randomizer*; town: Lesser Computer Hacker Eavesdropper*/Lynchproof Super Vice Cop*/Secret Admirer Sensei!*, Lynchproof Warp*/Mimic Clone*/Shaman Gunsmith*, Cowardly Retired Wolf Hunter*/Skulking Twin*/Undertaker, Ascetic/Bruce Wayne/Magic Lamp

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 16, 2014, 11:54:10 am »

I have no idea what a Secret Admirer Sensei!* is, before anyone asks
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 62