Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 224693 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #285 on: August 23, 2014, 07:35:03 pm »

Jester is already a pretty bad role, making it easier to win doesn't help.
How so?

Game-ending jesters are kind of dumb, in my opinion. Otherwise, jesters can be interesting.
Unfortunately, they're not.

Imagine, if you will, that I just sit here and make the game as tedious and annoying for you as possible. The Mafia has no real reason to lynch me, and for all you know, I could simply be using RiA to not get lynched. So, essentially, you're going to have to lynch me. Jesters have poor alignments, and if they're played well, it's fun, but it's easier to win well by playing extremely poorly.
Oh.

Perhaps jesters should be modkilled if they mention their jester-ness?

I suppose that's not an ideal solution, though.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 23, 2014, 08:19:27 pm »

I think the Mimes in Paris Mafia are sortof acceptable. They're a team of two and both have top be lynched for them to win (exclusively), which makes it a lot tougher for them.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 23, 2014, 08:41:10 pm »

Jester is already a pretty bad role, making it easier to win doesn't help.
How so?

Game-ending jesters are kind of dumb, in my opinion. Otherwise, jesters can be interesting.
Unfortunately, they're not.

Imagine, if you will, that I just sit here and make the game as tedious and annoying for you as possible. The Mafia has no real reason to lynch me, and for all you know, I could simply be using RiA to not get lynched. So, essentially, you're going to have to lynch me. Jesters have poor alignments, and if they're played well, it's fun, but it's easier to win well by playing extremely poorly.
Jesters are often extremely annoying in Town of Salem (and cause themselves to lose by being obvious), but it's one of my favorite roles to play, because if you play it right and seem normal, then do the right thing to make people suspicious of you, you can get yourself lynched pretty easily.

The one thing I do like about Town of Salem Jesters, is that they kill one of the people who voted them.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 29, 2014, 02:12:53 pm »

The one thing I do like about Town of Salem Jesters, is that they kill one of the people who voted them.

Yeah, this kind of thing ensures that people that are too obviously jesters don't get lynched.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 29, 2014, 02:35:36 pm »

Yeah, this kind of thing ensures that people that are too obviously jesters don't get lynched.
That, and the fact that jailors have a tendency to execute them if they are too obvious, tends to discourage some people from being jerks about their jester role.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 29, 2014, 05:47:30 pm »

Yeah jesters become a bit better if there's a lot of town killing power (like in ToS).

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 28, 2014, 11:09:31 am »

Hmm...

What do people think of the following modified BYOR:

Pokemon mafia.

Basically, it works similar to normal BYOR's: everyone sends in a role (in this case, the name of a pokemon), and they get a role based on that pokemon.  However, the night mechanics, mainly killing, work a little differently:

Every pokemon has certain statistics: type, hit points, speed, attack, spec attack, defense, and spec defense, much like in the pokemon games.  The speed attribute, however, is the only attribute taken fairly straight from the games: the other attributes are modified, for reasons I'll get to in a minute.  Every action (move, in game speak) has a certain type associated with it.  Whenever a damaging action is used on another player, that player loses an amount of health equal to (attacker's attack/spec attack - defender's defense/spec defense) * .1 * move damage.  Additionally, any multipliers from move type versus pokemon type (I'll keep track of these, don't worry) are applied as well.  The attack, spec attack, defense, and spec defense values of a given pokemon go between 0 and 10.  The amount of final damage is taken out of the defending pokemon's hitpoints, and if a pokemon's hp ever reaches 0, the player is eliminated.  The speed attribute is used to determine who gets to act first: in this way, a kill might go before a roleblock or what have you.  The standard mafiakill clocks in at 60 normal-type damage.

Lynches still work the same way: if a player is lynched, they are immediately eliminated unless their role says otherwise.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 28, 2014, 11:37:58 am »

inb4 shedinja sableye spiritomb
I would definitely play it.

The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 28, 2014, 12:18:29 pm »

Pokemon would be a cool theme for a game. I ran a Pokemon Fusion themed game a while back (it petered out in the end), and I went for a much simpler way of calculating battles, based on a roll with a multiplier given by the elemental strengths and weaknesses of the pokemon themselves. It was much more straightforward than have loads of stats. Having everything come down to a knowable speed stat would just lead to people who know about Bulbapedia gaming the game with their initial picks.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 28, 2014, 12:24:33 pm »

Bulbapedia?
Bah.
Pokemondb.net
Loads faster, all the necessary information, no clutter.

Edit: Also, NQT, you should run that game again. I was just thinking about it.
The Cyan Menace

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 28, 2014, 12:45:45 pm »

Pokemon would be a cool theme for a game. I ran a Pokemon Fusion themed game a while back (it petered out in the end), and I went for a much simpler way of calculating battles, based on a roll with a multiplier given by the elemental strengths and weaknesses of the pokemon themselves. It was much more straightforward than have loads of stats. Having everything come down to a knowable speed stat would just lead to people who know about Bulbapedia gaming the game with their initial picks.
True.  Should I change it so that moves happen in standard action order unless the move has priority?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 28, 2014, 12:56:46 pm »

Hmm...
Speed should have some effect, though.
I dunno. *shrugs*
I would think that trying for the first action in the night would come second to getting the most useful.
So I don't think it should be changed, if someone is looking for fastest pokemon, then wouldn't there be people looking for highest attack pokemon/highest defense/something that would have X effect?
The Cyan Menace

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 28, 2014, 12:58:36 pm »

Ditto.

All stats are equal, can copy anything.

Basically mew while still being legal, since I assume legendaries are off limits for balance reasons.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 28, 2014, 01:16:36 pm »

Ditto.

All stats are equal, can copy anything.

Basically mew while still being legal, since I assume legendaries are off limits for balance reasons.
Eh. You can choose a legendary. Doesn't mean I'll overpower you, but you can choose one.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 30, 2014, 08:34:16 am »

New game idea: Lynch [Forum Member] now.

Now I'm super curious how I'd be spec'd into a mafia role.
same

Everyone who joins the games (plus a few other people so people can't just roleclaim to find scum) has a role made of them.
Not for them, of them.
When the game begins, everyone recieves a random role (may or may not be your own) and one of those roles is declared to be scum.
It would only have one scum, so it would focus around smaller game sizes, like King Mafia does.
Any thoughts?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 62