Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 197

Author Topic: Tribulations in Magic: The cavalry is... still preparing.  (Read 317806 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: Trinity of bad news
« Reply #750 on: March 30, 2014, 07:48:56 pm »

Derm, Wizard cancels science: Went Insane.
Wouldn't that require him to be sane beforehand?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 30, 2014, 07:51:45 pm »

Derm, Wizard cancels science: Went Insane.
Wouldn't that require him to be sane beforehand?
Hmm... You make a fair point.

Derm, Wizard has become enraged!
Derm, Wizard has entered a Martial Trance!
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 31, 2014, 09:59:08 am »

Turn 029

Words I say! Words!

The Dragon Knight glares at them for a moment, then returns to his work.

I'll show them. Mark my words...

Stuff.

Not having anything more to ask, and not giving a fuck about the sudden revelation about life itself, Derm decided to do more magic:

[Pot:4+1=5]
A golden line apepars and draws a hippo. With a flash of light, it materializes into paper, and doesn't fall to the ground. It stays there, not going down. The hippo seems to notice this and tries to move its legs. It only succeeds in an almost imperceptible movement. It keeps moving, trying to achieve something.

You hear Karen's voice in your head:
We could explain something about this, but it is self-explanatory, don't you think so?

[Pot:6]
Nothing happens.

[Pot:5+1=5]
A thick golden line appears and draws a big Bowie knife,

Roger suddenly speaks:
Hey, I'm not going to stay here watching they say random words.
What can I say? I agree with that!
So, could you break the barrier, please?
Yes... boss

[Tim str:6+2+1-1=8]
He batters the sphere with one of his hatchets, to which it responds by concentrating all the golden matter in the point of impact, then returning to its original state, although being even more translucent than before.

What I like about it is that you can

[Tim str:6+2+1-1=8]
the second strike comes with equal force, but the barrier appears have been weakened enough that by this point the hatchet just goes through it, Timothy almost falling to the floor if he hadn't stopped the momentum.

...hit it anywhere, with anything, and you can still tear it down with enough patience-He looks at Timothy- or lack of it.
Shut up
All right, guys, we should look how the rest are doing.

As they begin walking, the Dragon Knight begins doing his science:

[Pot:1]
[End:4+1=5]

A dark fog suddenly emerged around the Knight, trying to wrap him! He felt like if it had tried to penetrate its skin in some way, but he shrugged it off. The black fog vanished then.

The trio kept walking towards the only exit of the room.
Can I kill the floating hippo? Please?
No, it would be a waste of time. Besides, it will get taken care of in some time.
No, Timothy, he is not boring, he just is worried more about efficiency and important matters than you are.
I hate when you do that.
Speaking about efficiency, that helmet of yours is not doing anything good now that it lacks most of its teeth

Cromwell notices that the man he just tried to murder is still alive.
"You wouldn't possibly be able to be convinced that I was aiming for the other guy, would you?"
Action

Finish beating the chest in of Iron Man, club damage be damned.

Quote from: EP
PM

[Cromwell spd:3]
[Thrakor spd:2-2=0]
[Flimsy spd:3-1-1=1]

Cromwell realizes that the spear of the God of thunder should be used to defeat the paralysed crippled man, so he runs to where he left it, the Eastern Hallway.

Upon reaching the place, it seems that there is a semi-transparent golden pyramid with a black translucent substance trying to suck the spear. You walk near it, and it closes and exits the room through a wall, near the floor. The spear is like you left it, but now all the cloth has burned down to ashes. Better try to insulate the electricity somehow. Fortunately, it seems that the electric power has diminished, both the frequency and the size of the spark having went down to something less ominous.

[Pot:2+1=3]
A bit of wax appears and falls over the spear, it still doesn't look safe, the amount of wax doesn't seem to be enough.

You can hear some voices coming down the Grand Room:
I'll see what I can do, functionality and appearance, as you may have noticed, not always are easy to achieve at the same time.
Just don't make me look silly.
Nah, that generally doesn't end up being straightforwardly silly.

Then you see them. There is a short bearded dude in a lab coat talking with a tall and athletic man carrying two nasty obsidian hatchets, one on each hand. Two skulls engulfed in faint blue flames orbit around its naked chest. It is actually only wearing a loincloth and boots, both made of fur. Both men are accompanied by a floating lady with a pony tail and another lab coat. After noticing you, the muscled fellow tightens the grip of his hatchets and roars, looking menacingly at you.

Too late for that-The bearded guy said.
At least we can probably take some information from him.

[Karen will:3+4=7]
[Cromwell will:3-1=2]

He is a newcomer and is trying to help some iron dude from dying to another guy that wears an alien squid as a hat.
The bearded guy sighs- None of them have advanced much, it seems.

The tall guy looks at you again, then says: Get killing people already! I wanna fight!
Patience, be patient.

They kept walking (or floating) towards the Greenhouse Room.

Insulating the whole arena just to get electric potential to not spontaneously discharge was pretty much a waste of human labour.
But more people would have came here if every thing they enchanted with lightning didn't become discharged half a second after they summoned it.
It was still a niche, not really worthwhile.

Back in the NW hallway, the fight was still going:

[Flimsy pot:2+2=4]
[Flimsy end:6-1-1=4]
[Thrakor end:5]

Some static forms in the air, but both combatants shrug it off. Thrakor, still under the effects of it, tries to keep bashing the wizard:

[Thrakor dex:2+1-1=2]
[Flimsy dex:3-1-1=1]

[Thrakor str:2-1=1]

He attempts to bash the wizard's chest, but he puts his arms on the way. Not that it matters, because nothing happens to his arms. Thrakor's club, on the other hand, doesn't look like it can stand even another hit.

A guy with two skulls floating around him enters through the door, wielding two obsidian hatchets, and almost no clothes.

Don't pay attention to me, just keep fighting.

An ominous green light shines from the Arcane Room.

Action.

Continue befriend eldritch pigs!

Sorry guys, I tried to post a turn but the internet derped.

AGAIN!

((How glad I am to have GTFO of the portal room, given my serious nature in this game, might have me be perceived as more of a threat, plus, I have both feet :P))

As everybody in the room does science, some guys seem to be coming in.

You can't really say that it wasn't worthwhile, this wasn't even tested-said some muscled guy with two floating skulls orbiting his chest.
The whole problem of giving information about this to any customer was actually more important-Said a short-bearded guy in a lab coat.

They were being accompanied by a floating lady in a lab coat. Her expression was just blank.

Bigf01t, meanwhile, tried to recast his form:

[Pot:6+1=7]
His body begun to glow a lot and almost seemed like it exploded in light. And then, he was again

Hey that's biometal! One of the supposed marvels of some years ago. The military thought that would make their soldiers some kind of super-soldiers with that. It was actually quite good in increasing the possibilities of surviving explosions and some bullet hits. Until they realized that it was only good against low-penetration hollow-point bullets, so FMJ rounds became the predetermined choice in every environment and for every group. The hype then went down as it only made war more expensive.
Both the lab coat and the lady turned their head and looked at the muscled guy with wide eyes and a bewildered expression.
What? I like guns.

Bigf01t then did some more science:

[Pot:4+1=5]
His left leg begun the glow for some moment, then the glow slowly went away.

So, what can you tell about these guys?
Let's see.

[Karen will:4+4=8]
[Bigf01t will:3-1=2]

Well, this guy seems to be the one who gave the coup de grace to the dwarf. Not much more, similar levels of understanding than the rest.

The group of scientists the walked to the center of the room:

This is a mess, Ths means that they have been experimenting a lot. That dead wooden pig and the energy one still alive means that someone is obsessed with them.
Like, that guy with the biometal pig on his shoulder.
I was going to point that out if you hadn't interrupted me.

[Karen will:2+4=6]
[Eric Will:6-1=5]

I-I can only tell about him that he calls himself a porcumancer.
Okay, that's the weirdest thing we have met so far.
I told you that this was going to be fun even if you didn't fight.

The porcumancer just ignored this and did more science:

[Pot:1+1=2]
A golden line appears and wiggles.

Another golden line appears and draws something round.

Nothing happens.

Yet another golden line that just wiggles.

A small flash of light ensues.

Another wiggling golden line.

It seems that he is only good at making pigs.
Something that has no sense whatsoever, unless he is somehow mentally unable to concentrate on any thing other than a pig.

They shrug and analyse the next test subject: Athanasios

[Karen will:6+4=10]
[Athan will:4]

Suddenly he lost control of his body as the floating lady smirked and pointed at him with her finger:

"I'm Athanasios and I don't have any idea about what the hell is going one here."

Hey, you could have been more creative!
Well, I just wanted to make some fun out of him, he appears to be really lost.
Should we help him? It would be a pity if the others don't reach higher souls densities at the same time they get horribly mauled while trying to do so.

Athanasios shrugged and did some magic:

[Pot:2]
A bit of cardboard appears in front of him.

That's a word for a material-The bearded guy says in a condescending tone.

[Pot:1]
A golden line appears and twists itself into a knot. Oops.

Well, that's a shape word, just keep trying, you will eventually get better!
Don't lie to the poor guy.

[Pot:4]
A bunch of porcelain, it seems, appears and falls to the ground, breaking itself in the process.

That's yet another material word. You get the idea, right?

An ominous green light comes from the NW hallway. Some electricity is heard there

Ah, it must be because of the energy pig.
Wait, is there a fight? I want to see that! -The muscled fellow then rushes into the hallway.
The bearded man facepalms, the waits for some time and nods, and then giggles. The floating woman smiles.

Character sheets

Spoiler: Elephant Parade (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dermonster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bigf00t (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Icefire2314 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GreatWyrmGold (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: RathofSTS (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: mastahcheese (click to show/hide)

GM comments

To quote another GM: I LIED.

As always, optional roleplay. If you don't like to have your turns messed with the comments of the bad news trio, just tell me.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 31, 2014, 10:11:21 am »

"Well. I'm thinking I want to kill them. You with me on this, man?"

Wordy wordy words!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 31, 2014, 10:13:10 am »

Don't pay attention to me, just keep fighting.

"Hey man, no problem!  Just trying to finish up here."

Finish up here!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 31, 2014, 10:16:07 am »

Go ahead, I like the trio.

The Dragon Knight grits his teeth.
"Killing them would be...most satisfying. I fear we may not be able to do so at the moment. We are too weak, too few."
The Dragon Knight sighs, thinking of creeps and stores and such.
"...Do you believe we could convince the others in the arena to band together with us? Make an alliance against these who wish to eat our souls to gain power, kill those who won't join until the arena is filled with those who want to destroy those monsters, gather knowledge, and prepare for combat?"

((This could destroy the game if it works.
I like it.))

Science.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 31, 2014, 10:19:03 am »

Status effects update:
-Thrakor's burns in his arm are gone (should have happened last turn, fortunately had no effect)
-The DK burns (not the permanent ones) are also gone.

"Killing them would be...most satisfying. I fear we may not be able to do so at the moment. We are too weak, too few."
"...Do you believe we could convince the others in the arena to band together with us? Make an alliance against these who wish to eat our souls to gain power, kill those who won't join until the arena is filled with those who want to destroy those monsters, gather knowledge, and prepare for combat?"

((This could destroy the game if it works.
I like it.))

Science.
Or make the wailesters pretty happy.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 31, 2014, 10:19:57 am »

Science.

Haha, dear boy, you've read my mind. Use that ring on my legs, if you would. We have errant members to assist!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 31, 2014, 11:16:56 am »

Or make the wailesters pretty happy.
((Well, at first. Once we get everyone in the room to want to work together, they'll be bored.))
Sig

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 31, 2014, 11:27:06 am »

I was speaking about how you will all die horribly allowing more people to join the game.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: March 31, 2014, 12:33:32 pm »

I guess go and body slam the guy I was attacking earlier.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: March 31, 2014, 12:43:24 pm »

I was speaking about how you will all die horribly allowing more people to join the game.
For a while. I don't think anyone likes those three, though. Hell, the threat of being harvested if we get too powerful should make people more interested in getting along together.
Sig

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: March 31, 2014, 01:15:44 pm »

For a while. I don't think anyone likes those three, though. Hell, the threat of being harvested if we get too powerful should make people more interested in getting along together.
I'm doing well my job, then.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: March 31, 2014, 03:08:46 pm »

SCIENCE FOR THE SCIENCE GOD
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Elephant Parade