Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 197

Author Topic: Tribulations in Magic: The cavalry is... still preparing.  (Read 317822 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: Dangerous flammable materials lying around.
« Reply #1515 on: September 23, 2014, 12:22:29 pm »

We probably just need to make sentient beings, have them last for a while, and then murder them.
Well, no. You can't "farm" souls.

A hint may be given next turn. If I feel like giving one.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: September 23, 2014, 07:43:31 pm »

Have I posted an action?

Edit: Never mind, I sent one. At least, I think I did.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: September 24, 2014, 06:22:28 am »

We probably just need to make sentient beings, have them last for a while, and then murder them.
Well, no. You can't "farm" souls.
Thank goodness! Planky is safe! (Until he kills someone, which lets face it, is inevitable)
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: September 24, 2014, 06:57:50 pm »

It's almost been a week... and still, no update =|
I'm rather wondering if I have what any new ways to kill people would be...
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: September 25, 2014, 06:24:45 am »

Turn 067

"Argh!"

Put him in a chokehold with the handle of the hammer.

Continue to avoid being murdered.

Finally, Systar decides that his weapon is terribly useless at hitting, and so decides to give it a better use: choking! He charges Zolond:

[Systar dex:1]
[Zolond dex:3+1=4]

But he realizes that he hasn't taken into account the fact that, to choke someone with something other than your hands, you have to be standing behind the guy you are trying to choke. Either that or trying to bring the other person to the floor before putting pressure with the foreign object. Speaking about tripping, the Black Mage has an idea:

[Zolond str:1-1=0]
[Systar dex:5]

But he ends up just trying to shove Systar, executing it pathetically, so Systar ends up just pushing him with the handle of his hammer. It was even embarrassing.

Continue the Science!

You have to do science! That weird thing living in the pond will not scare you! No! It won't! It won't! Think about the words-think about the words-think about the words.

[Pot:5+1=6]
A thick golden line appears and draws a big ogre, bigger than what you would normally think, even for an ogre. It tries to punch you. OH MY GOD I LIKE MY FACE NO- And it goes through you. Hehe, immaterial beings don't pose a challenge to you!

The nothingness in a wide angle in front of you is disturbed. You have no idea what this means.

[Pot:6+1=7]
[Dex:3]

A thick purple fog appears in front of you, and you can't help but to breathe some of it before your common sense goes "That must be dangerous".

Hmm, you are not feeling well. In fact, you feel like if you were sick. And you want to throw up too.

[Nausea]

More tests! More theories! Science is making astounding leaps!
*GM shudders*

[Pot:3]
A golden line appears and draws a cylinder.

[Pot:1]
Another golden line, this time it wiggles oddly and twitches until it became a mess.

[Pot:5]
Another golden line, that draws a door.

[Pot:6]
A thick golden line appears and draws a big cage.

*GM shudders again*

Quote from: Derm
PM
Now, some dangerous science! But first, let's move away from the gasoline! You walk to the northern hallway. The green light coming from the arcane room is becoming stronger. But you don't care, you have to do science:

[Pot:3+1=4]
A golden line appears and draws a dragon! It tries to breathe into you.

[Pot:4+1=5]
[Derm dex:1+1-2=0]
A glob of magma appears in front of you and falls to the ground. You forgot that to change back your axe-foot, so ended up tripping and falling, the magma flowing and covering your legs before you manage to pull yourself away. All the wax of your legs has melted, and they are pretty heated! Your legs now look flimsier, due to less mass, but they actually aren't. They are more malleable, though, due to the heat. The Terminator effect was pretty pathetic, so no badassery for you this time! Also, you hope that the lack of the outer portion of your legs doesn't translate to anything like no skin or something like that when you transform back.

The heat doubles the damage received on your legs for the next turn.

[Dex:3+1-2=2]
A blob of acid appears and falls to the ground, splattering over your torso. There it carves a nice set of tattoos out of your wax. Terminator effect still not achieved.

Lost wax covering on chest too!

A purple cloud appears in front of you. Huh.

[Pot:1+1=2]
Nothing happens!

You are sure that you could have done this with less harm to yourself.

Quote from: EP
PM

More science for you too!

[Pot:4+1-1=4]
Nothing happens!

A lump of flesh appears and falls to the ground, making a wet noise.

[Pot:4+1-1=4]
A golden line appears and draws a leg.

[Pot:2+1-1=2]
You get a rubber band.

[Pot:6+1-1=6]
A pile of candy, chocolates, some chewing gum and many colourful lollipops appear in front of you. Eating them, with the current state of your mouth, is going to hurt.

Another golden line appears and draws a genderless chest.

Quote from: Beirus
PM
As you watch how the formerly hollow diamond finishes to absorb the other one, you suddenly have an idea! You hope that it works:

You flash with light, and suddenly you are back at your fleshy form. Dammit, the arm with the cracks is now full of bruises, and it hurts. But the magic reacts again, not caring at all about how you feel or anything. You flash again with light, and now you are again in your fleshy form, but you feel... different. You feel much lighter, almost as if you were...hollow.

Well, but maybe you can still fix yourself!

A big chunk of diamond appears and falls to the ground.

Well, now you just have to grab the and. WTF? WHY CAN'T GET MY AXE OFF MY HANDS?!?!. And then you realize, sadly, that you are slowly sucking it away with your very hands. You are feeling the weird sensation that is to be injected with exogenous materials in large proportions, as the inside of your arms are filed with diamond. You may need some help to remove that yourself.

New form: Fleshy hollow man!
[Very light]

SCIENCE!
ALSO GIVE PLANKY FORM!

You speak what you intend to do with Planky, and it agrees! Yay!

[Pot:1+1=2]
[Planky will:0 (not resisting)]
Planky glows, but nothign happens. It sighs, disappointed.

At least you can do the other thing:

A thick golden line appears and draws a big bowie knife. It falls to the ground.

"Well, it would be like a sword for me!"

A shadow comes again from the Arcane Room, flying past Derm and swooping the glass rabbit from the floor with just one hand. It drops its scythe from the other, and then let's go its silvery gauntlet. It flashes with light, and it stops floating, then grabs the unfortunate animal with its exposed hand. The mental screams of the rabbit are heard all across the Grand Room.

"That thing won't kill me if I am near you, right?" Planky asks you. You hope that it is true.

Character sheets
Spoiler: Dermonster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bigf00t (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Beirus (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Roguearchivist (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Elephant Parade (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lost in Nowhere (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rolepgeek (click to show/hide)

GM comments
Here is the hint: alternative soul gathering methods are hidden in plain sight, but require some triggers to come out.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: Tales of self-inflicted harm.
« Reply #1520 on: September 25, 2014, 08:29:08 am »

"This is kind of pathetic, really!"

Trip him up, then pin him down.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: September 25, 2014, 09:46:27 am »

Really?
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: September 25, 2014, 01:33:51 pm »

... Well then.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: September 25, 2014, 03:46:49 pm »

More science!
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.

RogueArchivist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: September 26, 2014, 05:47:30 pm »

"It is pathetic, I agree."

Words

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: September 26, 2014, 07:53:47 pm »

Science is fun!

I will solve this puzzle.

One step at a time.

Or two, actually. Let's see if I can get a good pattern going.

I'm willing to trade info and words for other words. I know about 80-90% of the Appendix by now, or at the very least what type of word each thing in the appendix should be.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: September 29, 2014, 07:05:09 am »

Well, WORDS!
Repeat the thing for Planky

Also TWO MORE SCIENTIFIC WORD-VENTURES
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: September 29, 2014, 01:47:40 pm »

Turn 068

"This is kind of pathetic, really!"

Trip him up, then pin him down.

"It is pathetic, I agree."

Words

[Systar spd:1-1=0]
[Zolond spd:5]

The dark mage unleashes yet another spell as Systar ponders about how to kick his ass:

[Zolond pot:5+1=6]

[Zolond end:5-1=4]
[Systar end:2]

A mass of cracking electricity is fired in Systar's direction, but that doesn't mean much, actually. The electricity almost instantaneously decides to break apart and zap both the caster and its target, the later getting the worst from it.

Systar has [Paralysis:2]
Zolond has [Paralysis]

Systar doesn't give a shit about that, or at least he pretends that he doesn't care about it, and he charges Zolond, with the intent of bringing his foe to the floor, to smack the hell out of it later:

[Systar dex:5+1-1=5]
[Zolond dex:5-1=4]

[Systar str:1+1=2]
[Zolond dex:4]

But, despite managing to hit one of Zolond's legs with his still not burned leg, the force of the blow was not sufficient. Zolond just staggered backwards and easily regained balance.

Science is fun!

I will solve this puzzle.

One step at a time.

Or two, actually. Let's see if I can get a good pattern going.

I'm willing to trade info and words for other words. I know about 80-90% of the Appendix by now, or at the very least what type of word each thing in the appendix should be.

Maybe you will find something! And maybe you can even get clues from the papers themselves! Maybe...

[Pot:1]
Nothing happens!

[Pot:4]
Nothing happens, again!

[Pot:4]
A golden line appears and draws a battle axe.

[Pot:6]
A thick golden line appears and draws some hooves the size of your head each. Mooooo.

More science!

Yeah, let's do *censored noises due to "Yuck! It's disgusting" reaction*.

Yep, you throw up, you rolled a 1 in the secret d4, you lose the turn.

Well, WORDS!
Repeat the thing for Planky

Also TWO MORE SCIENTIFIC WORD-VENTURES

Again!

[Planky will:0 (not resisting)]
Planky glows, and then, with a flash of light, becomes a wooden chimpanzee!

"I can talk with my mind, just like you!" He says in your head. While Planky goes to grab the knife you made for him, just for self defence, of course, you say more words:

You get a chunk of green glass.

A thick golden line appears and draws a big pair of horns.

... Well then.

Hmmm, you have an idea: Let's see, when you fuck everything up with magic, the magic seemed to cauterize the part where the lost limb was attached to. But, maybe, if you make the inert part alive again, the cauterization will not be necessary and thus you have a limb back! Let's hope this works:

You flash with light and you. AAAAAAAARGGGGG IT HURTS DAMMIT. You are back at your fleshy form, and notice that you completely lack skin in both of your legs, and that burns have replaced most of your skin in your chest.

[Burned] in torso and legs! The minuses can't cause you to get more than a -1 for each leg, so don't worry, they are not so cumulative.

You order the magic to react, and with a flash of light, you become... fleshy? You seem to lack any kind of bone structure inside of you, which makes you somewhat more flexible, but seems terribly odd. The magic seems to not have subsided, and you have the impression that you may be able to command it to change you when it recovers strength.

First step: done.

Second step:

First, you leave your spear at a side, then do your thing:

Your axe foot flashes with light, and then it is now a proper foot, and made of flesh. Wait, you still can't feel it. Dammit, the cauterization wasn't lost. But maybe not everything is lost! Maybe you can combine your body with that flesh somehow. You know how to target both yourself and the foot anyway, right?

Also, you notice that the flesh foot does not bother you, because it just flaps around when you walk, not adding much weight.

Really?

OH SHIT MORE MAGIC SHOULD FIX STUFF:

[Pot:2+1=3]
You flash back to normal, and find that your wrists hurt, but then you flash back again! You are now, some kind of four legged monster? Oh, YES. YES. You are a dragon! A diamond dragon!

You no longer can hold stuff, but it doesn't matter! You are a mfckin' dragon!

[Naturally sharp]
[Crystaline structure]
Can't have inventory nor grab stuff.

You feel like you can breath some nasty stuff, although not much of it. Actually, you are not a big dragon, you are more like a drake. One that can't fly, of course, diamond is not aerodynamic, and actually your whole body is not aerodynamic. But you have some pretty shiny wings!

Quote from: EP
PM

Let's try something crazy!

A golden line appears, then breaks up into four different golden lines, each one of them drawing something like, wasp-tigers? Yeah, they seem like tigers, but with wasp wings. With a flash of light, they materialize into fire. Wait, what?

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES, THERE IS A FREAKING SWARM OF FIRE WASP TIGERS! WAIT, NO, NOT THE GASO-

[Robert dex:1]
[Flimsy dex:2-1=1]

An explosion occurred and half the Grand Room was briefly engulfed in flames. When the smoke dissipated, the dragon was against the diamond wall, one of his wings somewhat chipped, as well as the portion of the wall it collided against. The flimsy Wizard, on the other hand, was lying around the Eastern corner, coughing as he started to feel how his whole body had just been burnt.

The Flimsy Wizard has now [Minor burns] in all his body. The bleeding of his half jaw has stopped! He still conserves the penalty because he lacks half a jaw.

That was stupid. Really stupid.

The dark figure had left the room by the time of the explosion, leaving the dead rabbit in one corner of the room, and having picked up its stuff.

Character sheets
Spoiler: Dermonster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bigf00t (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Beirus (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Roguearchivist (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Elephant Parade (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lost in Nowhere (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rolepgeek (click to show/hide)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: Remember the flammable stuff? GUESS WHAT?
« Reply #1528 on: September 29, 2014, 01:53:16 pm »

I should have gotten a +1 to str, but I failed that check hard enough it won't matter.

Keep trying!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 02:00:02 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: Remember the flammable stuff? GUESS WHAT?
« Reply #1529 on: September 29, 2014, 01:54:35 pm »

"What the hell are you bastards doing?"
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 197