Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 197

Author Topic: Tribulations in Magic: The cavalry is... still preparing.  (Read 317304 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: Back in action!
« Reply #1965 on: February 06, 2015, 02:27:05 pm »

Wait, doesn't a speed roll of 0 prevent you from acting? Or is that only for players?
I think -1 will result lost turn. Check turn 96 what happened to me.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: February 06, 2015, 02:30:55 pm »

Negative speed rolls make you lose a turn, or just perform movement actions. If not, all the guys who didn't bother to put a single point in spd will end up losing too many of them.

Also, you can't lose two turns in a row, even if you roll negative

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: February 06, 2015, 03:34:09 pm »

Negative speed rolls make you lose a turn, or just perform movement actions. If not, all the guy who didn't bother to put a single point in spd will end up losing too many of them.

Also, you can't lose two turns in a row, even if you roll negative
Oh, okay. That makes sense.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: February 07, 2015, 01:42:24 am »

KAMEHAMEBLARGH
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: February 07, 2015, 06:25:29 pm »

Whoops.
Keep sciencing!
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: February 07, 2015, 08:59:22 pm »

I have a plan
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: February 07, 2015, 10:23:27 pm »

I suppose I should do the THING! Huzzarh!
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: February 08, 2015, 09:49:50 am »

Activate the spell, I'm curious!
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: February 08, 2015, 10:52:20 am »

You can also attempt magic afterwards, if you wish

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: TOO MUCH STUFF HAPPENING FOR A CLEVER TITLE
« Reply #1974 on: February 09, 2015, 07:25:02 am »

Turn 098

This result is good. Jump on his chest with my full weight and strength. Crush that ribcage! Flatten those lungs! Squish his heart! End his misery...
((Does my "heavy" bonus count for this?))

Kill stealing will not be tolerated.

KAMEHAMEBLARGH

I have a plan

I suppose I should do the THING! Huzzarh!

Quote from: EP
PM

MASSIVE SPEED ROLLING! (for everybody excluding Lost in Nowhere, because he is not in the room)

[Jack spd:5-2=3]
[Robert spd:5]
[Lucky spd:1+4=5]
[Systar spd:6+1-3-1=3]
[Bigf01t spd:2-1=1]
[Dexter spd:4]
[Flimsy spd:3-1-1=1]
[Lion spd:5-1-1=3]

Spd tie: Robert vs Lucky

[Robert spd:2]
[Lucky spd:6]

The biometal lizard reacts barely an isntant before the spell from the diamond God is cast. He quickly inspects possible targets of his ultimate spell, and finally concludes that the best bet is the poor guy bleeding out and about to get stomped by that guy with the obsidian arms. He looks at him and says the words:

[Lucky pot:1+1=2]
But the spell doesn't work, for some reason.

((At the beginning I forgot about your focus bonus, so I wrote the following. Enjoy it))

Spoiler: Non-canon turn (click to show/hide)

The Diamond serpent's spell is then cast at both his prey and the scavenger hoping to get it from him:

Spoiler: Pot rolls (click to show/hide)

[Systar dex:5+1-1-3-1=1]
[Jack dex:4+1=5]

The floor beneath both of the combatants begins to glow, golden particles frantically being emitted each time by a greater and greater amount of terrain. Jack notices this as he was rising his foot over the crippled remains of what had been the Derm-killer in the past. He doubts for a moment, and then it is too late. He manages to jump with his foot still touching the floor and...

The feared flash comes.

The floor around them, about a third of the room, turns to magma just as Jack jumps. He still instinctively kicks Systar with his risen leg, only to find that his target sinks instantly into the magma. Still, he uses what strength he can gather to propel himself with that leg, managing to fall with his belly on the hard hard floor circling the shallow lake of magma that has just formed. He madly rolls away and stands up, shaking off all the bits of searing molten rock from his leg. It has been burned almost to the bone, and now that the adrenaline is fading, the pain is insufferable.

Right leg now has: [Heavy burns]

Systar didn't even know what happened, his body was burned almost instantly by the magma. All his plans of heroic sacrifice and vengeance were ended abruptly, without even his own knowledge of the events, as his thoughts ended as his brain was boiled inside his carbonized head, before the magma finally managed to cave in and blackened what was left of his cadaver.

Systar, the Derm-killer, is dead. Robert gains 9 stat points

As a smoke line, with the thickness of a baseball bat, emerges from the magma pool and goes in the direction of the almighty God of Death, a quiet character tests out a little transformation. Dexter, who is on the southern side of the room, issues a mental command to the magic, and it answers by making him flash with light. He finds that he is shorter now, and also that he is standing in all fours. Lifting a frontal limb he realizes that it is now a paw, and the feel of almost imperceptible air currents on his ... muzzle? make him think that he now has whiskers. Yes, he is now a cat. A house cat, albeit one bigger than the average one, quite bigger if compared, but smaller than what he was used to be as a human. At least he is not a cube of meat, he is definitely glad of that.

You are a cat!
[Small]
[Light]
[Naturally sharp]

And you don't have an inventory!

After finally finishing to absorb many souls worth of that white smoke, the diamond God felt something... odd. He could sort of sense a void inside certain people. The obsidian-armed guy who tried to steal his kill, for example, feels rather empty. His companion, the Flimsy Wizard, too. Bigf01t, who is currently poking outside the Grand Room from the Eastern Hallway, on the other hand, feels full. Hmmm. It almost feels like if everyone was worthless excluding him. Odd.

Anti-ganking mechanic enabled! ((More in the GM comments section))

What he doesn't notice, though, is the golden lion trying to prepare a final strike upon his Flimsy prey:

[Lion dex:4-1-1=2]
[Flimsy dex:6-1-1=4]

But the Wizard acts with a quickness the lion was not expecting, perhaps out of arrogance, if metallic animals can feel that, and its prey escapes, then prepares a spell:

[Flimsy pot:6+1-1-1=5]
[Flimsy dex:6-1-1=4]
[Lion dex:2-1-1=0]

Both Flimsy's body and the lion's body begin to glow, the golden particles emitted by both bodies interweaving as they cross each other in the space between them.

[Lion will:5]
But the lion's mental presence is made stronger, severing the link between both bodies with sheer will force.

That was not expected, really.

By the time Bigf01t managed to move his shiny, cybernetic, not subject to the effects of fatigue but nevertheless lazy ass, he found that Systar had disappeared, and that there was a big lake of magma in the Grand Room. He stayed in the Eastern Hallway, so that he didn't have to be near the magma.

Whoops.
Keep sciencing!

Oblivious to the fights of the contiguous room, Ali kept doing science:

[Pot:3]
A sac of a dark, rubbery thing appears and falls to the ground.

[Pot:3]
Nothing happens!

[Pot:2]
A drop of a silvery liquid appears and falls to the floor, becoming a flat sphere afterwards.

[Pot:6]
A big blob of gasoline appears and falls to the ground. Wait, why do you have that sensation of "something is wrong?". Oh, you are in the MAGMA ROO-

[Dex:1+1-1=1]

BOOM!

The explosion fills the magma room with fire, as the shock wave pushes Ali and slams him against the rock wall above the magma moat, where the cursed gravity takes the reigns of his fate and makes him plummet to his fiery doom.

Ali has died to the second worst combination of bad luck possible (you can never beat Rolepgeek's). His power goes to no one.

Derm, as per request to the GM, bursts out of the chest of Systar's dead body. He is instantly incinerated by the magma lake, and thus goes back to the bottom of the waitlist. The GM emits a loud laugh as he says that this is actually a joke.

((Now, seriously:))

Derm appears in the Arcane Room. He is ready to become the ultimate power here again

Suggle Sodom The Magic Spaceomancer, from here onwards Suggle, appears in the Magma Room. Before he can think about the heat, he notices the smell of burnt flesh as a charred corpse with a steel leg attached to it is thrown from the magma moat and lands near him. Now he is afraid.

The Portal whose existence gives the name to the Portal Room slowly begins to change in color. The colorful purple streaks swirling around in the vortex begin to turn black, as the electric blue begins to turn to a blood red. The Portal is undergoing a change...

THE FIRST BOSS WILL ARRIVE TO FACE THE MOST POWERFUL PLAYER IN SHORT TIME. YOU HAVE 5 TURNS TO PREPARE YOURSELVES.

Character sheets

Spoiler: Bigf00t (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Beirus (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Elephant Parade (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 94dima94 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: AoshimaMichio (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rolepgeek (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dermonster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Vivalas (click to show/hide)

GM comments

The anti-ganking system
Congratulations! Robert has achieved enough souls to prevent him from gaining power from killing weaker characters. The mechanic works as this: if you have 10 souls more than someone, you don't gain souls from killing that person. It is as simple as that. The idea is to prevent you from ganking other players. Why does this happen? Because your soul has achieved a density in which it can't absorb more souls. It works like osmosis: plants gather water and nutrients from their roots via membranes, just by being in contact with the source of water and nutrients. It works until both sides have the same density of nutrients, then physics don't allow nutrients to concentrate more. What happens then? The plant artificially pumps out nutrients to another part of its body to lower the density, and thus let more nutrients enter. Robert has achieved a density which doesn't let lesser souls to enter his body, needing for higher concentrations to increase his power.

The system should prevent disproportionate advantages in fights. 10 souls is a little more than a +3, which happens to be half the dice we use.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: TO MUCH STUFF HAPPENING FOR A CLEVER TITLE
« Reply #1975 on: February 09, 2015, 07:31:42 am »

"I TOLD YOU FUCKERS BUT YOU DIDN'T LISTEN! NOW THE BOSS MEN COMETH! Need souls, need to prepare... God damn it."
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: February 09, 2015, 09:25:05 am »

Boo.  I was hoping I could take someone with me.  (Or, more hilariously, take the souls to the void, but I do not begrudge my killer getting them.)

Rewaitlist!

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: February 09, 2015, 09:45:17 am »

Limp away from dangerous terrain. Do magic.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: February 09, 2015, 12:07:41 pm »

Beirus! Why are you always so OP?
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: February 09, 2015, 02:37:07 pm »

Beirus! Why are you always so OP?
Sigging this. Also, this is only like the second time it happened. Although both times were related to killing the person who killed Derm.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 197