Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 141

Author Topic: Drunk Thread -(Awesome Thread)-  (Read 172239 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Drunk Thread -(Awesome Thread)-
« Reply #1380 on: December 05, 2018, 09:32:03 pm »

Hmmm. Time waits to tell, but I believe I may end up being the owner of a 1940's arrack, which will have outlived Churchill, Roosevelt, Stalin, Adolf, Hirohito, Mussolini, Chiang Kai-Sek and Mao. My bank initially blocked it because they didn't consider me the typical profile for ancient spirit hunting lol. Once I'm done showing off to all my history friends I have no idea what the hell I'm gonna do with it. Maybe just sit on it for a hundred years and resell it for a million future mars bars in the post-apocalyptic wastelands of New Britain. Also Suntory are doing their own brand of mixers, which I'll try soon. Just finished a bottle of Chita whisky by Suntory, very nice, but the Japanese produce limited exports so the prices are higher than I'd say are worth it (I got this bottle as a gift. Worth a try maybe, but regular buyers outside of Japan maybe reconsider. It's not that they're bad, on the contrary they're fantastic. It's more that you're paying for constrained supply, so you could get two better whiskys or whiskeys for the cost of one export). Christmas/New Years is coming around, so I've had fun searching for the right drinks for my friends who partake. For the adventurous Arab, a bottle of 60% Absinthe, for the effeminate Europoor, a saffron gin in colonial theme (I wanted to find an exquisite, flowery drink for them to enjoy, without necessarily buying them a decisively feminine marketed gin lest they get the wrong idea and believe I was insulting them). For my blud brudder, I got a limited edition penderyn from their first ever batch, which I told him to hold onto it as if Welsh whisky picks up in prestige it could appreciate prettily in value. I had considered giving away the 1940's arrack, but after hearing of the absolute mad lads who thiefed one of my friend's 18 year scotch whiskys and drank it all mixed in fanta, I don't trust the majority of them to keep it safe from such heresy. The story is worse because they opened his scotch, tried some neat, hated it and then decided to drink it all anyway, drowned in fanta. Yet if high alcohol content fanta was their objective, they had vodka to pick from. It makes me angry by proxy that someone would so futilely steal something and not even enjoy the fruits of their labours. Anyways for me, I intend finish my arsenal before I leave the country: Singleton Tailfire Scotch, my Talisker Storm Scotch, my homebru limoncello, my Yorrick skull gin, the last unskulled Ibizan absinthe and this mysterious jar of 51% Bai Jiu I won in a raffle. I'll leave my chartreuse in reserve though. Baileys is all right, but after one bottle I am certain I actually just like milkshakes and don't like baileys.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: December 06, 2018, 07:32:32 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:15:47 pm by dragdeler »
let

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: December 06, 2018, 10:44:57 am »

It must be nice to have friends...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: December 06, 2018, 11:03:49 am »

I like spirits and I'm pretty lucky that fairly good bourbons (to my palate, at least) don't break the bank and last a while.

I've found a new interest, however. A liquor store not too far away stocks several types of mead. Drank $32 of product a few nights ago (one $23 bottle, one $9 bottle, both of the 500ml variety). I'm thinking these should be saved for special occasions.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: December 06, 2018, 11:07:06 am »

Are they dry or sweet meads? I've only gotten the chance to try out one mead thus far, and it was horrifyingly, liqueur-sweet... Never again, not even for the neat bottle.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: December 06, 2018, 11:12:24 am »

Yeah, some are super sweet. Basically tastes like pure honey and alcohol. I don't particularly care for that kind.

The two I had earlier this week had a dry-sweet scale printed on them and were smack dab in the middle.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1386 on: December 09, 2018, 08:03:58 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It arroived noice
Now to cover it in bubble wrap and never look at it ever again until it's 2050 or something

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: December 09, 2018, 08:10:01 am »

That seems like the definition of impulse buying.

Also, a Fish song I've not heard before is a rare thing. Must say it's not my favourite though.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1388 on: December 09, 2018, 08:18:00 pm »

That seems like the definition of impulse buying.
True that, but it'll fill the space left in the wake of my absent absinthe as the designated 'drink in case of WWIII' case

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: December 10, 2018, 06:16:27 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:15:20 pm by dragdeler »
let

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: December 10, 2018, 06:59:22 am »

He says he'll sell it on, but his tone suggests he might not.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1391 on: December 10, 2018, 07:59:05 am »

He says he'll sell it on, but his tone suggests he might not.
Depends if the world ends before 2050, so how likely I am to sell it depends on how optimistic your outlook on the future is

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: December 11, 2018, 03:35:09 pm »

Yeah, I've had a few beers tonight. Mark this timestamp down as a general area where I stop making what little sense I usually do.

Also: Asking a bartender to get you "another one", and they serve you a copy of your first beer rather than the one you just finished.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: December 11, 2018, 10:28:42 pm »

My room is full of pragmatic, vector-graphics shapes.  Cluttered, but with physics primitives.

But there's a not-cube which stands out.  A little box, about twice as long as it's wide, and... ornate.  Engraved, embossed, and decorated.
This box is from visiting my mom, perhaps the most spiritual person I've met.  Ambiguously Christian, but certainly open to more.

This box can open.  And, on that day where we moved so much furniture, she told me what was inside it.  I... maybe even looked?  I can't remember...

And it's laid on my desk for almost two weeks now, but now I've noticed it, and I really want to open it.  I want to see what's inside.
But I also kinda enjoy wondering about its contents, and imagining what I could have considered nifty but now can't remember!  I'm tempted to offer it to my roommate to open, on condition that he doesn't tell me - just to chase this feeling of
Spoiler: irrigo (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 10:33:53 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: December 12, 2018, 12:13:55 am »

I know I'm actually drunk because I'm resonating talking Sid Meier Alpha Centauri theories and ideas with a good friend who recognizes the cultural relevance of that wonderful nightmare.

"What actually transpires beneath the veil of an event horizon? Decent people shouldn't think too much about that."
- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "For I Have Tasted The Fruit"

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesteryear. But it was never the streets that were evil."
- Sister Miriam Godwinson, "The Blessed Struggle"

Against such abominations, we organize our defenses on the principle that one strong and able mind can shield the many.
- Spartan Battle Manual

I think, and my thoughts cross the barrier into the synapses of the machine - just as the good doctor intended. But what I cannot shake, and what hints at things to come, is that thoughts cross back. In my dreams the sensibility of the machine invades the periphery of my consciousness. Dark. Rigid. Cold. Alien. Evolution is at work here, but just what is evolving remains to be seen.
- Commissioner Pravin Lal, "Man and Machine"

If our society seems more nihilistic than that of previous eras, perhaps this is simply a sign of our maturity as a sentient species. As our collective consciousness expands beyond a crucial point, we are at last ready to accept life's fundamental truth: that life's only purpose is life itself.
- Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, "Looking God in the Eye"

Human behavior is economic behavior.
Yes, yes, we've all heard the philosophers babble about "oneness" being "beautiful" and "holy". But let me tell you that this kind of oneness certainly isn't pretty and if you're not careful it will scare the bejeezus out of you.
Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright? None I say! Let us take what is ours, chew and eat our fill.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan "The Ethics of Greed"

I believe Planet will talk to us if we are willing to listen. These fungal stalks behave as multistate relays: taken together, the neural net connectivity must be staggering. Can a planet be said to have achieved sentience?
- Lady Deirdre Skye, Arguments in Council
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 141