Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 216145 times)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Miya's Hubris
« Reply #1455 on: October 04, 2015, 08:05:55 am »

I'm certain people have smoked cigarettes and eaten sandwiches inside their suits before. Maybe they shouldn't have been able to but they did. I think it was something about the mk1/2's roominess.

I'm imagining a sandwich sized airlock on the front of the helmet and a set of mini roboarms that feed you. Blender and feeding tube is probably the most practical option though.

For smoking we could probably include some sort of bong or e-cig in the helmet, and a good filter. As long as it doesn't involve fire. ARM helmet bongs. This needs to be a thing.

As I said, smoking was quite possible (I think I did it once too), but I don't remember anyone eating that way - and then there was the whole M6 hassle because we'd have to open our helmets to eat proper food, which some of us didn't want to do, and thus preferred to subside on the suit-feed nutrient packs. But theoretically possible, I guess.

An yeah, e-cig thing could be doable. Maybe an addon/upgrade? Costing something like 1 token or free, just for flavour?

@Paris Well, I'm not overly concerned, but yeah, that's an interesting idea. The problem is that we are doing a lot of suit use via jaw-mouth-tongue tricks (like in Forever War... or was it Starship Troopers?), and I'm not quite sure how we could replace those if we went for full-skintight. Still, just being able to detect voice via vibrations is nice enough idea that makes it slightly more possible.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1456 on: October 05, 2015, 02:49:22 pm »

For the welder combo we're talking about as powerful and compact as it can be for one token. Probably fairly standard. See if its possible to include a cutting torch in there too.

Spoiler: Council (click to show/hide)
Huh, one of the council members sent me this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdCI15QojoA

Hmm. Wonder what thats about~

Kinamps are automanips the size of a postage stamp and has infinite uses. How does it manage this?
Is it from some alien technology or something?
[Also I hereby give you permission to handwave this .  :P ]

Actually they have batteries.

EDIT: Oh, are those stun guns the R&D people used for sale? If yes, any idea how they work?

Quote from: piecewise
Quote from: Paris
Could I make/buy a revolver-like magazine for gauss weapons?
I'm thinking that, since one of the biggest selling point of gauss weapons is multiple ammo types, a revolver magazine could allow you to load multiple types of ammo in a single magazine and then switch to the ammo type you want to use.
Sure.
Could I just get that from the armory like a normal magazine? Or is it something I have to build or get Hephaestus to mass produce?

Could I make a different version of the brain-case mobility system that trades the legs (and the laser if necessary) for thrusters? In case you really need to fly away really fast, in situations where just running just isn't fast enough. With the possible drawback that A) you have limited fuel and B) you have fuel stored right next to your brain. Granted, it's armoured, but it's still fuel.
Yes, but those would have to be small thrusters and would have very limited range.
I was thinking of a sort of GTFO button, to be used in case of overloads, bombs and stuff like that, perhaps similar to the battlesuit's emergency escape pod function. It's incapable of making fine movements or turn very well (so it won't be able to maneuver through a vent but it might be able to turn through a large mining tunnel with a really good aux roll and a big loss of fuel), but it's thrusters are really powerful, making it a valid choice for quickly escaping large scale destruction. Maybe also add the drawback that if you go too quickly, you are rendered unconscious or suffer brain damage.
Is something like that possible? If yes, would it be for the same cost?

Does the thing synthflesh comes from have reproductive organs?
originally? Because right now it comes from a chemical tank.
Yeah, originally, why not? I didn't really expect a serious answer to be honest.
Thats a good question. I guess it depends on your definition of "Reproductive organs."
Well, most, if not all living things reproduce in some way. So it is logical to assume that anything living would have part of its body dedicated to reproduction. One could argue that for most forms of life, their entire body is there to facilitate reproduction, so it is just an extended reproduction organ. So let's go with a narrower definition:
Does the thing synthflesh come from have a thing it sticks into other things (possibly of the same species) in order to create a new member of the species? Or a thing that accepts other things (possibly of the same species) which in turn trigger the creation of a new member of the species?
Let's see how far I can push this...
Reposting.
I forget what you're talking about

I assume it wouldn't be exactly like a revolver, more just a little circular selector style magazine that you would select the round and it would push it up into place. So you can get that from the armory.

Yeah thats possible, and it would cost the same.

Again, you're making it hard for me to reply here. I guess the only answer is "Kinda, but it's kinda complex".

Kinamps are automanips the size of a postage stamp and has infinite uses. How does it manage this?
Is it from some alien technology or something?
[Also I hereby give you permission to handwave this .  :P ]

They actually have a max useage of 20.
No, after the Sudden Reality Change (the change to the new system) they have infinite uses. Don't know if they have anything else to balance that, like slowly getting destroyed or overheating.
The lack of uses was mostly because they had 20 uses and no one ever used them up before dying/losing them/upgrading to something else.

It's a gameplay caveat more then anything.

How expensive would it be to make the Jump Pack capable of flight instead of simple jumps? We discussed part of this via IRC, about the potential of using replaceable blueradite cells or one of those miniature fusion reactors to supply the very large amounts of energy necessary for it.
Really, it depends on how far and how fast you want to fly.

About the same flight capabilities as a MkIII.
Does it need to be able to maintain continous flight to the same degree or would a few minutes at a time work?

...Stick a Kinetic Amplifier on the end of a hammer and other suitable blunt instruments (quarterstaff, mace, etc.).  Force multipliers!  Git'chore force multipliers here!
I think someone has actually done that before. With the hammer at least.

Faith, one of our old characters, has a club covered in kinamps.

And as far as I understand, kin amps are not automanips, but something different.
^^^
The Kinetic Shunt is the amp for kinetic energy.
Weird, isn't it.

That something stupid I mentioned with kinetic amplifiers?
Two kinetic amplifiers in what amounts to a perpetual motion machine spinning a generator.
The contact surfaces will be tied to their opposite side by an elastic material so that they are assured of reciprocal activation.
Hopefully, there will be a limiting factor on how fast I can keep them from going?
If not, what is going wrong when it gets too forceful?
You're gonna have a material failure at some point in there.

((Dangit, weeks between tinker updates, and then he skips my action.))

Basically what I was saying is that due to the nature of how things are often described, I don't know if it would help a whole lot. I mean, I won't have time to draw out the map that it would project for you in game, and there's a limited amount of description I can give you without that visual; and often people don't understand my descriptions anyways.  I feel like the thing might be limited by the medium.  If you just want to use it like a "Alien" style motion detector though, one that detects movement through walls and stuff, that might work.

I think I understand what you mean. Yeah, something that does this would be fine then, if possible with the added functions of mapping stuff (because even if you can't describe it, it allows for a character to reasonably get an idea of eg where the exit leading outside is in a large building) to some extend and getting that radar/early warning system. Yes, the last might not be needed all that often, but having an extra turn to spot incoming ordnance or reinforcements might be pretty convenient all in all.

So, you think the sensor package works like this? If yes, cost and size of the package? Any other comments or restrictions?

So yeah, this.

Also, for a possible upgrade option for the blaster pistol: The blaster pistol is small, and melts when overcharged, right? Well, I’d like to make an ‘item’ that’s essentially a modification to allow the pistol to use the overcharge without melting. Basically, it would place the pistol in a large ‘shell’ that would form the new gun body, and is capable of absorbing or radiating away the heat from the thing to prevent damage when using the full discharge. It would have a cold plate-like element in it (or maybe one of the new cold-eating spikes, that works better) that takes up and stores the heat after firing overcharge, after which this heat is transferred to from the cold plate to (certain parts of) the gun body to allow it to radiate/conduct away the heat.

Yeah, it seems fine.

Hmm. I'm not sure how the pistol works exactly, but you think a "Cartridge" might work better? Sort of like a bullet except it's a single use heat sink? Get a few for a token.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: October 05, 2015, 03:17:31 pm »

For the welder combo we're talking about as powerful and compact as it can be for one token. Probably fairly standard. See if its possible to include a cutting torch in there too.

So how about 3 tokens for the multitool and 2 for the welder then?
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: October 05, 2015, 04:06:40 pm »

How many minutes for the version that flies "a few minutes at a time"? Something like five or fifteen?

And what would be the price difference between that and continuous flight? I'd like to make the power input flexible for the case people want to add more batteries, generators or alien power sources.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: October 05, 2015, 04:35:11 pm »

Okay, so if I built the Kinetic Feedback Engine, how long would it run before breaking due to overstress, assuming 0-cost materials other than the KinAmps?  How much power output would be lost to ensuring it doesn't explode?  How much power output would it be able to sustain with that loss?  How noisy is it?  Is bigger better?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 03:12:42 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: October 05, 2015, 05:11:58 pm »

Pre-emptive tinker project for M24, because im bored of waiting to get to heph to gain IC knowledge of coldspikes.

make an angled metal hubcap that anchors onto the MK suits radiator fins or heat distribution coil.
cover the exterior in MK suit fabric.

have it contain a coldspike inside it so that when the hubcap is attached the spike eats all the heat the suit is giving off.

get price.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 08:37:44 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: October 06, 2015, 03:11:06 pm »

Yeah, it seems fine.
Coolio. So, how big would the thing be then, and how much would it cost?

Hmm. I'm not sure how the pistol works exactly, but you think a "Cartridge" might work better? Sort of like a bullet except it's a single use heat sink? Get a few for a token.
How many per token are we speaking then?

Because, while that's a good idea, the problem I might see with that is that a blaster pistol gun is basically 'free', you pay for the ammo (1 token blueshard+pistol and 1 token blueshard mag). So, when firing overcharge, you 'loose' the pistol, but since you could get a 'free pistol' with every blueshard mag bought, you don't really loose anything substantial. The only thing you really gain when buying anything that solves the melting is that you don't run the risk of some molten metal encasing your hand, which isn't all that big of a deal anyways.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1462 on: October 06, 2015, 04:04:28 pm »

So how about 3 tokens for the multitool and 2 for the welder then?
I may have misinterpreted them.

In any case, the problem is less the cost (all the parts are cheap) it's more the size. Welders tend not to be that compact. If only because they have gas canisters and lengths of welding flux wire and shit.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: October 06, 2015, 05:06:28 pm »

So the multitool is good then?

Micro-welders are already a thing in ER. Simus had one during the Heph missions. And come on, it's thousands of years in the future a small welder shouldn't be that hard.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1464 on: October 06, 2015, 06:01:39 pm »

So the multitool is good then?

Micro-welders are already a thing in ER. Simus had one during the Heph missions. And come on, it's thousands of years in the future a small welder shouldn't be that hard.

Yeah, but I assume you wanted the cheapest model. Future or not, you can't weld, in the traditional sense of the word, without some basic materials, which take up space.

Not much, but  I mean, you're packing everything into a tiny space, even something the size of a soda can is gonna expand the size of the tool by like 30%.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: October 06, 2015, 06:58:54 pm »

It doesn't have to be that tiny as long as it's portable. About the size of a briefcase would be fine. Welder+cutting torch+soldering iron+generator. Still at one token?

Hey tinkerers do you think anything else absolutely needs to be crammed into this welder combo thing?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: October 06, 2015, 08:19:16 pm »

needs an anvil in case you need another tool that's not in the case
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: October 06, 2015, 08:40:03 pm »

needs an anvil in case you need another tool that's not in the case
Make the case an anvil.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: October 06, 2015, 09:03:31 pm »

Needs moer dinosaurs.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: October 06, 2015, 09:16:02 pm »

A self destruct button. To keep things !!FUN!!
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 127