Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 216086 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: TINKER: Miya's Hubris
« Reply #1830 on: February 05, 2016, 01:57:43 pm »

That sounds a lot like a bag of Instant Sandbag at 1/8th the price.

Is it possible to get a long-barelled version of the Brisant with enough gauss coils to have it fire like a normal hypersonic rifle, instead of the usual ballistic arc?
(I seem to recall that the Brisant had most of its coils stripped so that the grenades were slow enough that the inventor could bounce grenades around corners and stuff)

Price? Price to convert a normal one?

Well, you can't use it to eat lasers or tear things to shreds or grow more of itself or do any of the other fun things you can with a sandbag, but you can use it in vacuum.

Also, won't a bigger brisant basically be a big Gauss rifle or a small Gauss cannon?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: February 05, 2016, 04:49:17 pm »

I'd like a Gauss rifle that fires grenades like normal ones fire slugs, not  a ten-foot-long nuclear artillery system.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1832 on: February 05, 2016, 05:32:21 pm »

I'd like a Gauss rifle that fires grenades like normal ones fire slugs, not  a ten-foot-long nuclear artillery system.
Wouldn't it be more convenient to add the grenades you want as special Gauss rifle ammo instead of converting a grenade launcher to a cannon?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: February 05, 2016, 07:19:49 pm »

But then I can only destroy, like, half of a building front with a single shot.

Mostly I'm looking for things to do later, since PW is busy flailing at all the happy shoppers/mutineers/aliens to respectively sit down, shut up, and eat plasma.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: February 07, 2016, 03:42:32 pm »

Could we have a hard-light shooty thingy?  Like, it makes bullets and flings them in the direction you're pointing?

Come on, you can use your words.  All you have to do is try.  I believe in you!

Anyway, the answer is "Yes, though you'll have issues with your bullets disappearing once they leave the range of your SLMG".  If you want something better than that, you'll have to ask more specific questions, preferably specifying what method you'll use for propulsion.

Sticky goop is nice for restraining things, trapping things and closing holes and it has the added benefit that it can easily be dissolved. However, it is not very strong or very versatile. So I propose the use of another material:

Remember the liquid we found at the Anomalous Planetoid? The one that solidified into very hard crystal whenever it came into contact with other forms of matter? I'd like to put that in as a chem thrower ammo as something that can be used to make more sturdy barricades and trap things even better than sticky goop. A sort of instant cement, if you like. I assume 1 token per can is fine?

It also has the added advantage that someone with handiwork skill could use it to create objects or create moulds for objects.

EDIT: Ah, wait, just found this:
The liquid crystal appears to be something akin to stemcells, able to take on many different configurations depending on stimulus. However, we cannot, as of yet, manage to reproduce it via chemical or mechanical means.
So it's probably not possible to do that, unless piecewise says we found a way to get more. And now we can't even duplicate it using automanipulators. Maybe we could use the cube...

Ask PW if we can replicate the stuff (or provide a quote if he's already said we can), and preferably ask him how expensive it is to produce in comparison to other substances.  While you're at it you might want to ask how effective it is in that role.

Note that it won't be nearly as easy to dissolve as stickygoop, and I could easily see it being lethal to fleshies for that reason, but I guess this is kinda your point.

prepostedit: Bold everything relevant to the question, please.  I initially assumed that text below the quote was directed at someone else, but it actually meant "nevermind, ignore this post". >:(

That sounds a lot like a bag of Instant Sandbag at 1/8th the price.

Is it possible to get a long-barelled version of the Brisant with enough gauss coils to have it fire like a normal hypersonic rifle, instead of the usual ballistic arc?
(I seem to recall that the Brisant had most of its coils stripped so that the grenades were slow enough that the inventor could bounce grenades around corners and stuff)

Price? Price to convert a normal one?

Define "hypersonic".  My definition is "above mach 5", and I've generally been under the impression that the gauss rifle has a muzzle velocity just under mach 3.  Also, "normal hypersonic rifle" is a bit of a misnomer; off the top of my head, I can't think of a single military cartridge which is faster than 1700 m/s.  So I'm gonna assume you mean "supersonic".

Spoiler: This is how I think (click to show/hide)

1t extra for a supersonic brisant.  You've got ~70% the power of a GR, and get a muzzle velocity of 401 m/s.  If you want it literally hypersonic, well, that's going to be pretty damn expensive because the brisant will be a little more than half as powerful as a heavy gauss cannon, with normal rounds.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: February 08, 2016, 12:50:48 am »

Like, the hard-light bullets just materialize with velocity.

Or actually you point, click, and then there's a spike of hard-light ramming the thing you just pointed at, like 'instant mass driver' except probably not as strong as a mass driver?  Actually, the math of that might need to be worked out, but it's known that you can impart velocity at construct generation, up to some maximum presumably limited by the hardware, and that I think you can generate things without direct connections to the SLMG?  But if so, a rangefinder and a rapidly moving spike construct ought to hurt lots of things.  Assuming they're in the proper wavelength.  Add a mangler bursty thing I don't know the name of that's in big game rounds for extra killing.

Also, would changing the color the SLMG and etc. use be cosmetic or a new item/researchy thing?

And did we ever get the Containment Gun?  Because it's pretty much like that only it makes a weapon instead.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 12:52:26 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: February 08, 2016, 01:21:52 am »

((Make it like a compressed air gun. Pump it up and fire at your enemies!))
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: February 09, 2016, 01:19:20 am »

How much would it cost to get my Number Gun covered in Milnoplate? I'm assuming 1 token, since it's pistol sized and a helmet costs 1 token.
Its a good gun I don't want it destroyed.

Force Infuser gun.
Spoiler: Quotes from Piecewise (click to show/hide)

Try changing ammo type to a longer, thinner, denser spike. That should give it better ballistics at such high velocities and let pierce an entire battlesuit, not just most of a battlesuit. Check price.

Can it have a full auto setting? As long as the infuser has enough charge I don't see why not.

So we have:
-Small gauss piston used to charge the force infuser.
-Automated force infuser, set to fire using 160 seconds of charge. Nothing more, nothing less.
-Can build charge indefinitely and hold an unlimited amount of charge.
-Safety will not let the gun fire if it has less than 160 seconds of charge built up.
-Frictionless smoothbore barrel that can handle 160 seconds of charge.
-Fires dense armour piercing spikes. May or may not be able to pierce all the way through a battlesuit's armour.

If you are smart you will charge it during timeskips, such as while we are stasised before a mission, then you will likely never have to charge again.

Possible customizations?:
-Change caliber to 20mm, lets you fire gauss rifle ammo
-Replace automated force infuser with standard. Lets you control the amount of force used, but uses both Exo and Con.
-More powerful charging piston, charges twice as fast.
-Disable safety: The gun will go unstable and probably kill you. You idiot.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 06:17:32 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: February 09, 2016, 05:33:51 pm »

Would be possible to attach it to a generator and allow bits of power to go through at a time which could be connected to a dial allowing it to be more customizable in it's strength.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: February 09, 2016, 05:37:55 pm »

Not at all.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: February 09, 2016, 10:14:47 pm »

Like, the hard-light bullets just materialize with velocity.

Or actually you point, click, and then there's a spike of hard-light ramming the thing you just pointed at, like 'instant mass driver' except probably not as strong as a mass driver?  Actually, the math of that might need to be worked out, but it's known that you can impart velocity at construct generation, up to some maximum presumably limited by the hardware, and that I think you can generate things without direct connections to the SLMG?  But if so, a rangefinder and a rapidly moving spike construct ought to hurt lots of things.  Assuming they're in the proper wavelength.  Add a mangler bursty thing I don't know the name of that's in big game rounds for extra killing.

Also, would changing the color the SLMG and etc. use be cosmetic or a new item/researchy thing?

And did we ever get the Containment Gun?  Because it's pretty much like that only it makes a weapon instead.

Use bullets for your questions about bullets, please.  It makes things easier for me to understand and respond to.  If you don't bullet, I'll probably just give you a broad response which misses minor questions.

Said broad response is this: I can't help you.  The SLMG is new tech, mostly untested, so I don't understand how it works.  I don't think you can spawn things with a velocity, but I really don't know.  Even if you can, I don't know how fast you can make things go, so I can't say how damaging a hardlight bullet would be.  I also don't know what a SLMG's maximum range is, so I don't know if you can make anything better than a videogame shotgun.  I don't know if you can change the SLMG's required colors, either.

I do know that you can automate a SLMG, though, so this gun would at least be a pure con weapon.  It would also be hideously expensive, since SLMGs are expensive.

Lastly, we do have containment guns.  They're in the armory.

How much would it cost to get my Number Gun covered in Milnoplate? I'm assuming 1 token, since it's pistol sized and a helmet costs 1 token.
Its a good gun I don't want it destroyed.

Force Infuser gun.
Spoiler: Quotes from Piecewise (click to show/hide)

Try changing ammo type to a longer, thinner, denser spike. That should give it better ballistics at such high velocities and let pierce an entire battlesuit, not just most of a battlesuit. Check price.

Can it have a full auto setting? As long as the infuser has enough charge I don't see why not.

So we have:
-Small gauss piston used to charge the force infuser.
-Automated force infuser, set to fire using 160 seconds of charge. Nothing more, nothing less.
-Can build charge indefinitely and hold an unlimited amount of charge.
-Safety will not let the gun fire if it has less than 160 seconds of charge built up.
-Frictionless smoothbore barrel that can handle 160 seconds of charge.
-Fires dense armour piercing spikes. May or may not be able to pierce all the way through a battlesuit's armour.

If you are smart you will charge it during timeskips, such as while we are stasised before a mission, then you will likely never have to charge again.

Possible customizations?:
-Change caliber to 20mm, lets you fire gauss rifle ammo
-Replace automated force infuser with standard. Lets you control the amount of force used, but uses both Exo and Con.
-More powerful charging piston, charges twice as fast.
-Disable safety: The gun will go unstable and probably kill you. You idiot.

I'll say one token for gun armor, though you can't get real milnoplate.  A full thickness plate of milnoplate is a little under four inches thick.

As to the KCC, using a different bullet shape doesn't help.  Within an atmosphere, it's still going to tumble because of atmospheric ablation.  Out of atmosphere, I'm gonna say hits against battlesuits (the only thing tough enough to withstand a hit) aren't going to penetrate more because the bullet is basically disintegrating on impact anyway.

Full auto is fine.  I can't fathom why you'd ever need it, but you can have it anyway.

Lastly, you might not be able to get infinite power.  We abstract our generators as having infinite power, but I doubt they actually do.

Current price is 5t.  That's 2t for the infuser, 1t for the body and charger, 2t for the barrel.  Council price is probably something closer to 20t, and I halfway agree with them on that.  Just FYI.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: February 09, 2016, 10:33:18 pm »

I'll say one token for gun armor, though you can't get real milnoplate.  A full thickness plate of milnoplate is a little under four inches thick.
What's wrong with putting 4 inch thick armour on my gun?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: February 09, 2016, 10:58:22 pm »

I've been imagining it to basically be a pistol grip with a block mounted on top, and the block having the firing... side, I guess, on one side, with a keypad on the other side.

That would you could only have thick armor on three sides of the block.  Grip needs to be held, keypad needs to be accessible, and firing thingy needs to be unobstructed.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: February 09, 2016, 11:09:30 pm »

A fairly normal machete, mostly made from mundane handwavy future space steel, except for the edge, which is made from hexbug sharpened to a monomolecular edge. Not as damaging as a monoatomic razor, but very sturdy and prone to not exploding in your face.
Price for above?
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: February 09, 2016, 11:40:01 pm »

A fairly normal machete, mostly made from mundane handwavy future space steel, except for the edge, which is made from hexbug sharpened to a monomolecular edge. Not as damaging as a monoatomic razor, but very sturdy and prone to not exploding in your face.
Price for above?

1t, maaaybe 2t.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 127