Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33

Author Topic: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Game Over!)  (Read 87903 times)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Day 1)
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2014, 07:11:08 pm »

TDS: Do you think that it would ever be to the benefit in this game for a confederate to roleclaim third party?

Good: If the Bad is dead, the Ugly revealed himself (rather than the Good revealing him) and either the Good didn't claim or he just recently claimed.

Ugly: The Good died without revealing and the Bad is dead.

Bad: Not as far as I can tell.

Of course, if the Bad dies while the Good and Ugly are alive but haven't claimed, then the scum could always claim Good and Ugly in a MyLo/LyLo situation.

All of the above assumes that it's mid to late game.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
  • I came to have fun, but then I found !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2014, 07:31:15 pm »

flaming scientist: What purpose do you see behind the questions you are asking?
+!!scientist!!+ — As far as you understand it, what's the point of the random vote/random question phase?
To try and get a reaction out of anyone or everyone, and use these reactions for future scum hunting. Also, while these questions and answers are not as useful as people make them out to be, looking back at who attacked whom and what the dynamics were at the beginning can be very helpful on later days.
"what are all these shapes? Why are they moving around. What do they want from me?"

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2014, 07:32:49 pm »

+!!scientist!!+ — As far as you understand it, what's the point of the random vote/random question phase?
To try and get a reaction out of anyone or everyone, and use these reactions for future scum hunting. Also, while these questions and answers are not as useful as people make them out to be, looking back at who attacked whom and what the dynamics were at the beginning can be very helpful on later days.
But your questions aren't even attacking: they are truly random.  Some of the other questions give insight into how the other players think with regards to the game.  So why not ask some of those?

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving Gifts of Bad Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2014, 08:05:02 pm »

Cat
Quote from: Superblackcat on Today at 11:38:13 am
My brain isn't strong enough to focus on multiple people, I usually end up just in one of the many babbles. I guess focusing on a handful is enough, as long as it is the correct handful
Here's a pro-tip: take notes. Einstein said "My pencil is smarter than I am", you can avoid requiring great feats of intellect if you write things down.

My thinking is: how are you going to know you're focusing on the correct handful if you don't interact with everyone?

By reading through what everyone has to say, and attacking them for it. I'm not saying just pick 2 and talk. But if you don't think someone is mafia, there isn't a point to talk to them really... So There's not point to continuously have discussions with everyone.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2014, 09:21:39 pm »

DP109: As a new player, welcome.  What do you expect from your first game of mafia?
I expect it to be chaotic.
Darkpaladin109: You're the Confederate General, and you've located the Union General in the night. How do you proceed, and why?
I assasinate the General, then try to shift the blame on others and hopefully get them linched.
Solymr, Darkpaladin109
Do you think you have a sound grasp on the rules?
Yes.
Darkpaladin109 - Haven't seen you before. What's your strategy to win this game?
Remaining cautious and hidden. Mostly depends on the role I'm assigned otherwise.
DP- What inspired you to play mafia?
I wanted to try it out.

That should be all the questions.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2014, 09:30:17 pm »

Darkpaladin109 - Haven't seen you before. What's your strategy to win this game?
Remaining cautious and hidden. Mostly depends on the role I'm assigned otherwise.

That's... not reassuring.

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
  • I came to have fun, but then I found !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2014, 09:37:01 pm »

But your questions aren't even attacking: they are truly random.  Some of the other questions give insight into how the other players think with regards to the game.  So why not ask some of those?
I'll admit that my questions weren't like other peoples, but I seriously just want a response. any lurker forced to talk is a good thing. Also, I'm of the opinion that these questions about tactics a are little more than metaphorical minefields, and people get through this minefield more by dancing the verbal dance of no-scumtells, not by being innocent.

A small piece of advice: remaining "hidden" is considered lurking, and it is considered very scummy. Maybe you should read up a bit more on tactics.
"what are all these shapes? Why are they moving around. What do they want from me?"

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2014, 10:46:13 pm »

DP109: As a new player, welcome.  What do you expect from your first game of mafia?
I expect it to be chaotic.
Darkpaladin109: You're the Confederate General, and you've located the Union General in the night. How do you proceed, and why?
I assasinate the General, then try to shift the blame on others and hopefully get them linched.
Solymr, Darkpaladin109
Do you think you have a sound grasp on the rules?
Yes.
DP- What inspired you to play mafia?
I wanted to try it out.

That should be all the questions.
If you weren't a new payer, I'd probably at least FoS you for that, but just remember that lurking is considered a scum tactic (indeed, apparently it used to be, until people began lynch all lurkers policies).  The part about "it depends on what role I get" isn't at all reassuring, either.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2014, 12:18:29 am »

4maskwolf-
Imperial Guardsman-
Mastahcheese-
TheDarkStar-
notquitethere-
Caz-
Superblackcat-
Darkpaladin109-
Solymr-
Tiruin-
MyOwnWorstEnemy-
+!!scientist!!+- Notquitethere, Imperial Guardsman
No Lynch-

Not Voting-Everyone except the two above

0 votes to Extend
0 votes to Shorten

Day 1 will end on February 24th at 11:00 PM EST.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 02:30:37 am by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2014, 03:22:07 am »

Caz
Ah, I tend to contradict myself anyway. Do you think that scum players contradict themselves more often than townies? If so, why is this?
Anyone can end up typing things that appear contradictory. An innocent town player acting without deliberate deception can always give an honest explanation for their words. A dissembling scumster who has been caught out in a contradiction will be forced to make excuses if the contradiction didn't flow from an honest mistake. Excuses are harder to manufacture than explanations and are more liable to multiply the player's deceptions.

I'm probably more on the side of saying things as they come to me. Sometimes I keep a little list of things that bothered me, but I don't really structure the games out. Too much work.
I think you're showing insufficient dedication. You think this is a game? Mafia is serious business.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cheese
If a player says that they will be absent, and continues to say so at periodic times, at what point does it become no longer acceptable?
Good question. If they do it for more than a day then they've presented themselves as a legitimate target for the lynch: for town to win LYLO, you need to have engaged players still alive; giving semi-absent players a free pass indefinitely is a recipe for loss. It's better to get rid of such players earlier on while the cost of mislynching is lower. Do you disagree?

Scientist
Of course the answers are going to be useless if you ask useless questions. It's almost impossible to get a rise out of someone with some casual RVS questions. A good RVS question sets a trap: you get the player to pin themselves to a standard you can hold them to later. Of course, even a bad question (what could you gain from your question to MOWE?) starts a conversation and all games need to start with people talking before the accusations start flying.

Here's a question: say it's near the end of Day 1 and you're pretty sure the player that is about to be lynched is town. Your vote could tie the vote. What do you do?

Cat
By reading through what everyone has to say, and attacking them for it. I'm not saying just pick 2 and talk. But if you don't think someone is mafia, there isn't a point to talk to them really... So There's not point to continuously have discussions with everyone.
OK. That's a legitimate position for someone to hold and I'll hold you to that.

What do you think of Dark Paladin's answers?

Dark Paladin
Here's a tip: it's best to follow up answers to people's questions with questions of your own. You probably don't intend this, but wholly passive gameplay is seen as very scummy. A good question pins someone to something that they might later contradict. Questions like:

- Should we lynch lurkers just for lurking?
- Is it better to lynch someone you don't think is scum or tie the vote?
- Is it OK to keep a random vote on someone until the end of the day?

Staying hidden isn't an option. Ask some questions.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2014, 07:11:05 am »

I'm not really good at coming up with questions, but alright. Are questions supposed to be just whatever we can come up with?

Anyone, I guess
You're the Good. You suspect that another player might be the Bad but you're not convinced. How do you proceed with this?

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2014, 07:48:01 am »

I think you're supposed to ask questions that give you insight on the other player's mindset. Two questions come to mind right now.

TDS:
Why are you selectively answering questions?

Imperial Guardsman:
You see players 1 through 5 form a bandwagon in that order, one that votes for someone else and another one who doesn't say anything about it, who would you suspect first?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2014, 08:57:54 am »

I'm not really good at coming up with questions, but alright. Are questions supposed to be just whatever we can come up with?

Anyone, I guess
You're the Good. You suspect that another player might be the Bad but you're not convinced. How do you proceed with this?

Get them lynched. This way, I don't waste a kill if I'm wrong. If I suspect them, there's probably some evidence that I can use.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2014, 09:19:30 am »

TDS:
Why are you selectively answering questions?

Explain this please. What do you mean?

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2014, 09:30:31 am »

You didn't answer my question earlier.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33