Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33

Author Topic: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Game Over!)  (Read 87896 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Day 1)
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2014, 10:28:02 am »

Imperial Guardsman
And, from personal experience, active lurking is more suspicious.
So you're saying we should be suspicious of you if you active-lurk. You know, in my books just responding to questions and not pressing your own is very passive play. Could you please ask (at least) three other players some questions?

Solymr
So, why are you voting for scientist?
I like to make the most of the beginning of the game to apply pressure in the form of unmotivated votes. If Scientist says something that sounds fishy, then it'll turn into a proper vote. The vote is the weapon of town and to be effective we have to wield it effectively. When you first play this game it's a bit tricky to know what's a good thing to ask. Try to ask questions that will trip people up later if they contradict themselves. Here, try asking three other players some trap questions.

DarkStar — I assume then that you agree with my analysis of how the Ugly player should play?

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving Gifts of Bad Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2014, 11:38:13 am »

Superblackcat —Do you think it's necessary to engage with everyone in the first day or do you think focusing on just a handful of players is enough?

NQT: My brain isn't strong enough to focus on multiple people, I usually end up just in one of the many babbles. I guess focusing on a handful is enough, as long as it is the correct handful ;)

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2014, 11:43:21 am »

NQT:
I can only come up with two at the moment, let's try them.

Tiruin:
If you caught someone commiting a logical fallacy, would you try to get them lynched?

TDS:
You are a Confederate, and someone claiming to be the Union General points to someone who isn't a fellow spy as a Confederate, what would you do?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Prepare for Day)
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2014, 12:24:58 pm »

Caz: As the bad, you claimed union general and tried to get another player you thought was the good lynched.  When the player was revealed as non-confederate by the lynch, you are caught in your bluff.  What do you do?
I should read back on how the game works. One union general and one confed general, who are essentially cops, right? The rest of us are vanilla townies except for the Good, Bad and Ugly?

In that situation there wouldn't be much to do but lie and try to throw suspicions onto someone else as my partner, etc. What would you do?

Caz: If you were the Bad and you had identified the Ugly, would you kill him immediately or wait to see who the Good is?
Sure, I'd kill him.

Caz: You're a Confederate spy, and your scum buddy is getting attacked after someone claiming Union General has inspected them. How do you proceed, and why?
I'd continue building cases normally. If my partner was really inspected, there's not much to do and CCing would be more damaging than not.

Caz — Do you think it's important to think about the possible ramifications of what you say before you post?
Probably. I think this is a non-question. What information can you possibly get out of this?

Darkpaladin109 - Haven't seen you before. What's your strategy to win this game?

Mastahcheese - Do you think it would ever be in a union soldier's best interest to fakeclaim cop? Why or why not?

Imperial Guardsman - You are scum and one of your buddies makes an error that you catch. Do you bring it up and draw attention to them or let it slide?

MyOwnWorstEnemy - If you were the Bad, how would you go about identifying the Good and Ugly? Would you kill each night regardless?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2014, 12:44:04 pm »

Cat
My brain isn't strong enough to focus on multiple people, I usually end up just in one of the many babbles. I guess focusing on a handful is enough, as long as it is the correct handful ;)
Here's a pro-tip: take notes. Einstein said "My pencil is smarter than I am", you can avoid requiring great feats of intellect if you write things down.

My thinking is: how are you going to know you're focusing on the correct handful if you don't interact with everyone?

Caz
Caz: As the bad, you claimed union general and tried to get another player you thought was the good lynched.  When the player was revealed as non-confederate by the lynch, you are caught in your bluff.  What do you do?
I should read back on how the game works. One union general and one confed general, who are essentially cops, right? The rest of us are vanilla townies except for the Good, Bad and Ugly?

In that situation there wouldn't be much to do but lie and try to throw suspicions onto someone else as my partner, etc. What would you do?

Caz: If you were the Bad and you had identified the Ugly, would you kill him immediately or wait to see who the Good is?
Sure, I'd kill him.

Caz: You're a Confederate spy, and your scum buddy is getting attacked after someone claiming Union General has inspected them. How do you proceed, and why?
I'd continue building cases normally. If my partner was really inspected, there's not much to do and CCing would be more damaging than not.

Caz — Do you think it's important to think about the possible ramifications of what you say before you post?
Probably. I think this is a non-question. What information can you possibly get out of this?
What does probably mean here? Yes or no; should you carefully craft each question or should you shoot from the hip and type things as they come to you?

What do I intend to learn from this? Whatever you say, it's a trap you can later fall into if/when you contradict yourself.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2014, 12:47:08 pm »

What does probably mean here? Yes or no; should you carefully craft each question or should you shoot from the hip and type things as they come to you?

What do I intend to learn from this? Whatever you say, it's a trap you can later fall into if/when you contradict yourself.

Ah, I tend to contradict myself anyway. Do you think that scum players contradict themselves more often than townies? If so, why is this?

I'm probably more on the side of saying things as they come to me. Sometimes I keep a little list of things that bothered me, but I don't really structure the games out. Too much work.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2014, 02:50:55 pm »

notquitethere
Cheese
notquitethere: Someone has been lurking, and a couple other players have been going after them repeatedly. What's your take on the situation, and why?
Well, lurking is a crime against the game. Sometimes though, a player will say in advance that they can't be around as much and it's okay to cut them a bit of slack. I guess in this situation, I'd look to see whether the players are solely focusing on lurkers. This can be a sign of scum trying to appear proactive by go after people that won't chat back. Low hanging fruit and all that. Do you disagree? Are you planning to lurk?
I do not disagree, as I've seen it myself. And no, I do not plan to lurk, activity is the life of these games. If a player says that they will be absent, and continues to say so at periodic times, at what point does it become no longer acceptable? And before you ask, no, I do not plan on doing this, either.

Caz
Mastahcheese - Do you think it would ever be in a union soldier's best interest to fakeclaim cop? Why or why not?
Absolutely not. If a union soldier fake-claims, then odds are they would be a counter-claim by the real general. Then one would die, and the next day, the other would. It'd be a terrible loss, both of the loss of 2 town, and the loss of 2 whole days that could have been productive. What are your thoughts on the situation?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2014, 03:27:57 pm »

DarkStar — I assume then that you agree with my analysis of how the Ugly player should play?

Yeah, I can't see many other things that would not end badly that the Ugly could do.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2014, 04:58:13 pm »

Imperial Guardsman - You are scum and one of your buddies makes an error that you catch. Do you bring it up and draw attention to them or let it slide?
Yes.
TheDarkStar, you are the Bad. Do you be cautious and watch the play of the others, keeping your nightkills in reserve? Or do you play as a NK immune Serial Killer?
MastahCheese, you are the Ugly. Would you sacrifice someones life to make a General claim and get someone lynched to attempt to attract the Confederates or Bad?
NQT, you are the Good. Do you side with the Union or Confederates?
+!!scientist!!+-, join the danged discussion.

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
  • I came to have fun, but then I found !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2014, 05:47:12 pm »

+!!scientist!!+: What do you think is the best strategy for the bad in this game?
Same as for any serial killer, stay inconspicuous and figure out who poses the greatest threat to you, or who is most likely the good or the ugly.

+!!scientist!!+ — As far as you understand it, what's the point of the random vote/random question phase?
To try and get a reaction out of anyone or everyone, and use these reactions for future scum hunting. Also, while these questions and answers are not as useful as people make them out to be, looking back at who attacked whom and what the dynamics were at the beginning can be very helpful on later days.

+!!scientist!!+: You are a Union Soldier, and the Good has been killed in the night, along with the Union General. Nobody really made any cases against them, and neither were particularly effective at scumhunting. What do you do now, and why?
I go back and read through everything again, because there had to be some reason, and I'll only find it by looking harder.

+!!scientist!!+-, join the danged discussion.
Challenge accepted.

Hey DarkPaladin, MyOwnWorstEnemy, Tiruin, WAKE UP! And I thought I was late to the party...

DP- What inspired you to play mafia?

MOWE- How do you take your tea/coffee?

Trirruin- how much do you hate it when I misspell your name?
"what are all these shapes? Why are they moving around. What do they want from me?"

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
  • I came to have fun, but then I found !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2014, 05:57:42 pm »

+!!scientist!!+: Actually, I've got a better question: You are the bad, and one of the players seems to be an obvious confederate to you.  For lack of a better target, do you kill him, or do you kill a random other person.
Sorry about missing this, but obviously you would kill the confederate, because that's one step closer to the scum being gone, meaning less NK's and chances for you to die. It's far better than gambling on a 2/9 chance that you'll kill one of the two other third parties, when you might accidently kill an innocent and get closer to the unpredictable bloodbath that would be the Good, Bad, and Scum shootout.
"what are all these shapes? Why are they moving around. What do they want from me?"

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2014, 06:12:09 pm »

TheDarkStar, you are the Bad. Do you be cautious and watch the play of the others, keeping your nightkills in reserve? Or do you play as a NK immune Serial Killer?

Probably as an SK. They know I'm there and there is no point in not taking action, so I'd try to kill a lot of people.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2014, 06:18:15 pm »

Probably as an SK. They know I'm there and there is no point in not taking action, so I'd try to kill a lot of people.

Who will you kill N1?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2014, 06:30:38 pm »

flaming scientist: What purpose do you see behind the questions you are asking?

TDS: Do you think that it would ever be to the benefit in this game for a confederate to roleclaim third party?

Imperial: What play experience do you have?  I haven't seen you in these parts before.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2014, 06:31:54 pm »

Who will you kill N1?

I'd probably kill whoever seemed like they knew what was going on best. They are likely good players, and I don't want anyone figuring out who I am. Confusion is good for malignant third-parties.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33