Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 33

Author Topic: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Game Over!)  (Read 87910 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Prepare for Day)
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2014, 11:19:43 am »

Imperial Guardsman
MastahCheese, you are the Ugly. Would you sacrifice someones life to make a General claim and get someone lynched to attempt to attract the Confederates or Bad?
No, I don't think it'd be a good plan to claim to be something I'm not, regardless of the situation. Unless by "general" you aren't referring to the Power Role, in which case, I don't think getting anyone killed would be a good idea, it gives you less time to work on finding scum.

notquitethere
Cheese
If a player says that they will be absent, and continues to say so at periodic times, at what point does it become no longer acceptable?
Good question. If they do it for more than a day then they've presented themselves as a legitimate target for the lynch: for town to win LYLO, you need to have engaged players still alive; giving semi-absent players a free pass indefinitely is a recipe for loss. It's better to get rid of such players earlier on while the cost of mislynching is lower. Do you disagree?
Not at all. You have to weigh the possibility of them being honestly preoccupied, and trying to get a free ride. And sometimes, that's not a chance you can take.

darkpaladin109
Anyone, I guess
You're the Good. You suspect that another player might be the Bad but you're not convinced. How do you proceed with this?
Gather more evidence, look back at what all they've been saying. Rushing in too early would only leave you likely to get killed, or waste your one shot.
Also, I'm really not liking your mention of trying to stay "hidden". Get in here.

MyOwnWorstEnemy
Mastahcheese:
MyOwnWorstEnemy: You're a Union Soldier, and someone is going after you, despite not having real evidence, yet people are still agreeing with them. What do you do? And why?
I'd point out the flaws in my attacker's logic and go after them.
Good answer, but you failed to state why. How much attention are you really paying here?

Caz
mastahcheese
Absolutely not. If a union soldier fake-claims, then odds are they would be a counter-claim by the real general. Then one would die, and the next day, the other would. It'd be a terrible loss, both of the loss of 2 town, and the loss of 2 whole days that could have been productive. What are your thoughts on the situation?
I say that's fair. In certain setups it can work, but since the only PRs are cops and third parties, it wouldn't be in town's best interest. It might work for the Bad, though. If you were a third party, would you try to go for a major victory and fulfill your wincons, or go for the minor and town/mafside?
I'd think I'd try to focus on both victories, really. Pursue the general town/scum victory, and if an opportunity presented itself, go for the personal third party victory. Putting too much focus on a single one could jeopardize both.

Sorry I can't post more questions right now, I have to do something, should have time later today.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2014, 12:02:49 pm »

MyOwnWorstEnemy
Mastahcheese:
MyOwnWorstEnemy: You're a Union Soldier, and someone is going after you, despite not having real evidence, yet people are still agreeing with them. What do you do? And why?
I'd point out the flaws in my attacker's logic and go after them.
Good answer, but you failed to state why. How much attention are you really paying here?

Apparently not enough to notice the "why" tagged on the end. Sorry about that. I'd point out their flaws in logic and attack them for it because that's how I feel one should react in that situation and that's how I feel I would react. When someone's convincing the others to go after you with no evidence, you do your best to prove to the others that they have no evidence. It just seems logical to me.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Day 1)
« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2014, 12:21:12 pm »

Imperial Guardsman:
Imperial Guardsman:
You see players 1 through 5 form a bandwagon in that order, one that votes for someone else and another one who doesn't say anything about it, who would you suspect first?
Third, Fourth, and Fifth to vote.

Mind giving an explanation? You don't seem to keen on explanations. You haven't really elaborated on any of your answers thus far.

First and Second on a ML are usually a mistake, the rest are just trying to kill someone. GEE I WONDER WHO WANTS EVERYONE TO DIE.
And NQT, its RVS, and I dont want to push anyone without making sure. Scientist just asked 3 useless questions in a row, only one of which could POSSIBLY shine some light on anything.
Solymr, I dont know much about scum because I have only been scum on here 2 times, one of which my computer flipped me off and got me replaced, and the other I goofed and got myself lynched ( as the scum ROLE COP ) by accident. Sorry about my answer, but I find myself unable to really answer questions about scum, as I dont understand them that much.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2014, 12:39:14 pm »

I never said that the bandwagon ended up in Mislynch. I was asking for suspicions BEFORE the lynch happened. Or if you didn't know that, at least specify yourself the conditions for your suspicions.

And even while not having experience at playing scum you would try to know what would you do.

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2014, 01:40:41 pm »

I never said that the bandwagon ended up in Mislynch. I was asking for suspicions BEFORE the lynch happened. Or if you didn't know that, at least specify yourself the conditions for your suspicions.

And even while not having experience at playing scum you would try to know what would you do.
Yes, but I am not scum, and I do not plan to  do what I would do as scum. If I was, I would be contemplating about what tactics I would use to murder the most competent players blending in and bussing scum that mess up and compromise.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2014, 01:51:24 pm »

Yes, but I am not scum, and I do not plan to  do what I would do as scum. If I was, I would be contemplating about what tactics I would use to murder the most competent players blending in and bussing scum that mess up and compromise.

Or you slipped.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2014, 08:00:29 pm »

[Why are you planning to be cautious and hidden?
I want to stay safe.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2014, 08:12:18 pm »

I want to stay safe.

Oh cmon. I gave you a pass on the first comment because you're new but this is exactly what maf does. darkpaladin109[/color]

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2014, 08:41:41 pm »

I want to stay safe.

In general, lurking is a bad idea. If you're quiet, you don't have a say on what happens because you never say anything. Also, it can be seen as being scum - scum tend to not want to be noticed. In general, it's a good idea to be active.

So yeah, darkpaladin109 for scummy play. I'm not voting quite yet, though.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2014, 09:22:18 pm »

I want to stay safe.
... that won't keep you safe. If anything, it'll put you in more danger of being lynched. Darkpaladin, I'm watching you.

Imperial Guardsman:

... wow. That's a bit harsh. That's the first time I've heard a scum plan specifically mention the desire to bus companions who "mess up." Also, unless I'm reading incorrectly, he never accused you of being scum, yet you started explaining that you weren't scum. You're on the defense quite quickly.

Imperial Guardsman:
Imperial Guardsman:
You see players 1 through 5 form a bandwagon in that order, one that votes for someone else and another one who doesn't say anything about it, who would you suspect first?
Third, Fourth, and Fifth to vote.

Mind giving an explanation? You don't seem to keen on explanations. You haven't really elaborated on any of your answers thus far.

First and Second on a ML are usually a mistake, the rest are just trying to kill someone. GEE I WONDER WHO WANTS EVERYONE TO DIE.
-snip-

What?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2014, 09:24:25 pm »

DP, have you read some things to get an idea of how forum mafia works?  The first one I dismissed as a beginner mistake, but that... we even warned you in the thread.  You could have just said that it was a beginner comment and that was that, but...

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2014, 09:33:49 pm »

Imperial: I'm not sure I understand the reason behind the crossed out statement.  I hate to repeat someone else's point, but MOWE is right: You are going on the defensive very quickly.  I'm not convinced you're scum, but I'm pretty sure you're not union: you seem to have a strategy of elimination already prepared.
Why do you default to a bussing strategy as scum?  Isn't it in the best interest of scum to play together?  And why would you announce such a thing in general chat questioning?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2014, 01:07:17 pm »

Caz:

Or you slipped.
I want to stay safe.

Oh cmon. I gave you a pass on the first comment because you're new but this is exactly what maf does. darkpaladin109[/color]
If you are going to be part of the game, one line comments are not enough.  You are doing active lurking: why?  What do you gain from short comments, as opposed to thought out answers or comments?  Why have you not asked any questions recently?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2014, 01:17:15 pm »

NQT:
"I swear by my gun, I'm a union man. You got ears, you ought hear it. There's no mistaking this old yankee accent. Ask anyone: no true Delawarean would spy for the Confederation."

OK. Time to embrace old west action... I've played games with some of you before, but there looks to be quite a new crowd. The aim of today is obviously to lynch someone, but also to ensure we get the most information for future days. I want each of you then to have a justifiable reason for your lynch vote today. If you can't explain yourself, you're giving everyone else the rope to hang you with.

For those of you that don't know, I'm the resident Mafia Psephologist. I have so much faith in my methods, that even when I'm scum I'll willingly out my fellow scum using my metrics (see the last BYOR, for instance, or even way back with Mafia and Masons). Basically, I'll be keeping close track of what people do in terms of votes and claimed actions, as well as what they say. Some people (Tiruin) don't like this approach because pointing to the data and saying it makes someone looks scummy doesn't give people much to respond to. Is it unfair on the murder suspect to point to their grubby fingerprints on the murder weapon? If some of you young guns want to join me in my analytical questing, whip up a spreadsheet and start keeping track of each player's interactions with each other player.

A thing to bear in mind: we've got third parties in this game. Third parties don't stick their neck out for nobody, while both town and scum have an incentive to try to avoid at least some players being lynched for bad reasons. So I want all of you (well, all us unionists at any rate) to pay attention to lurkers and players going along with weak cases and, especially, lurkers with weak cases.

Alright, enough yabbering, let's hang 'em high.

Cheese
notquitethere: Someone has been lurking, and a couple other players have been going after them repeatedly. What's your take on the situation, and why?
Well, lurking is a crime against the game. Sometimes though, a player will say in advance that they can't be around as much and it's okay to cut them a bit of slack. I guess in this situation, I'd look to see whether the players are solely focusing on lurkers. This can be a sign of scum trying to appear proactive by go after people that won't chat back. Low hanging fruit and all that. Do you disagree? Are you planning to lurk?

Wolf
NQT: You have a great piece of information you want to share with the town, something that could tip the scales in the town's favor, but you are afraid that the mafia might mislead the town if you reveal this information and make the town lose.  What do you do?
It depends how I feel about the other players. In a typical game you'll have a bunch of players that are engaged, some lurkers and some players that are posting but not really paying attention. If I've got good accord with the other players and I feel I can explain thinks more cogently than scum, and most people are at least moderately attentive, then I'll say. Elsewise I might keep my mouth shut (at least until some of the more untrustworthy folk are dead). What's your take on the situation?

NQT: thanks for the playlist, by the way
My pleasure. I'm listening to it right now.

DarkStar
NQT: If you were the Ugly, when would you reveal what you are?
There's only very specific situations in which the Ugly should claim. If the Good is still alive, they don't want to claim even if if looks like they're about to be lynched as the Bad will just kill them come night time. If the Good is dead and they're playing effectively as town, they don't want to claim because they want to maximise the chance that the Confederates will target them at night. However, in LYLO they should claim if they're about to be lynched (and have prepared evidence throughout the game in favour of this claim) because if they allow themselves to be mislynched at LYLO then they'll lose town the game.

Solymr, Darkpaladin109
Do you think you have a sound grasp on the rules?

One more question: if the Good nks the Bad and the Bad tries to nk the Ugly at the same night, what happens?
I assume they both die.

Can we get confirmation of this Persus?

Tiruin — What's a good reason to lynch somebody today?

MyOwnWorstEnemy — What's a particularly telling scumtell in your eyes?

+!!scientist!!+ — As far as you understand it, what's the point of the random vote/random question phase?

Caz — Do you think it's important to think about the possible ramifications of what you say before you post?

Imperial Guardsman — Which is more suspicious: active-lurking or not voting?

Superblackcat —Do you think it's necessary to engage with everyone in the first day or do you think focusing on just a handful of players is enough?
Just realized that I hadn't seen this post yet, time to answer a question.

The reason I asked you that question was an allusion to the last game we played together, Smstr W/ Love.  My take on the situation would be to say at least some of it, but subtly.  It really depends on the number of people alive, but with up to three night kills a night in this game and no way to protect against them (except for the Ugly's kill reversal), I'd say as much as I thought I could without drawing an overt amount of attention onto myself.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 23, 2014, 08:20:12 pm »

If you are going to be part of the game, one line comments are not enough.  You are doing active lurking: why?  What do you gain from short comments, as opposed to thought out answers or comments?  Why have you not asked any questions recently?

Busy lately, just posting when I can. Do you think my vote on darkpaladin109 is misguided? Why/why not?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 33