Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 33

Author Topic: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Game Over!)  (Read 87810 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Day 1)
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2014, 08:33:15 pm »

4maskwolf-
Imperial Guardsman- Solmyr, notquitethere, MOWE
Mastahcheese-
TheDarkStar-
notquitethere-
Caz-
Superblackcat-
Darkpaladin109- Caz
Solymr-
Tiruin-
MyOwnWorstEnemy-
+!!scientist!!+- Imperial Guardsman
No Lynch-

Not Voting-Everyone except the two above

0 votes to Extend
0 votes to Shorten

Day 1 will end on February 24th at 11:00 PM EST. (About 26.5 hours from now)

Tiruin has been prodded. If any other players are thought to be needing prods, let me know.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2014, 08:56:50 pm »

Oh lookie, I'm alive and argh be my everything on B12.
Addressing the stuffs later on. For short recent notes: IG: Why're you voting Scientist again? Could you quote exactly what gave you that incentive? Is that a pressure vote or something else?

NQT: Why'd you include a subtlety towards a preferred role in your first post?

Everyone else: Do you seriously believe that today should be spent in debate and all? What if the scumteam knows how to circumnavigate the usual 'scumtells' and play easy? As in, play on the aggressive?
How do you treat scumtells when done by a player who has a reputation of being scummy? How do you treat analysis from a player who has a reputation of being 'good' at hiding scumtells?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2014, 09:57:22 pm »

If you are going to be part of the game, one line comments are not enough.  You are doing active lurking: why?  What do you gain from short comments, as opposed to thought out answers or comments?  Why have you not asked any questions recently?

Busy lately, just posting when I can. Do you think my vote on darkpaladin109 is misguided? Why/why not?
I don't think that the vote is misguided, I'd vote for him except I know how frustrating it is to by lynched on your first day ever of mafia.  Perhaps I'm too sentimental to play mafia...

Oh lookie, I'm alive and argh be my everything on B12.
Addressing the stuffs later on. For short recent notes: IG: Why're you voting Scientist again? Could you quote exactly what gave you that incentive? Is that a pressure vote or something else?

NQT: Why'd you include a subtlety towards a preferred role in your first post?

Everyone else: Do you seriously believe that today should be spent in debate and all? What if the scumteam knows how to circumnavigate the usual 'scumtells' and play easy? As in, play on the aggressive?
How do you treat scumtells when done by a player who has a reputation of being scummy? How do you treat analysis from a player who has a reputation of being 'good' at hiding scumtells?

I don't think it should be spent in debate, but I think that prodding people who seem scummy after the original posts is a good idea.
I would treat scumtells by a naturally scummy or new player with a certain restraint, in that I won't immediately vote for them but WILL ask probing questions.
I would treat analysis from a player 'good' at hiding scumtells with the same regard: I'll question them a little more than I would otherwise.
Of course, I've been around for a little over a month and have no idea who fits what category, so...

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2014, 10:18:55 pm »

How do you treat scumtells when done by a player who has a reputation of being scummy? How do you treat analysis from a player who has a reputation of being 'good' at hiding scumtells?[/b]

I think today should be spent in debate to find out people's attitudes and who they talk to. On later days, you check this against what they are doing then. Day 1 tends to be for gathering basic information about people.

If the scumteam can avoid the obvious ones, we rely on investigative roles. If the scum team never slips up, though, then they are playing well and will probably do well until the lategame. From what I've seen, good scum playing can usually overcome good town playing, at least early on. Later on, the results from power roles really start mattering.

I tend to take into account the general scumminess of the player when they do something scummy - for example, I did not vote for DarkPaladin because he's new and not used to the forum mafia here. For someone like (just as an example; he's not playing) Jim Groovester, I'd probably be a lot more strict when it comes to scumtells and would also look a lot harder.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2014, 11:05:31 pm »

Everyone else: [1] Do you seriously believe that today should be spent in debate and all? [2] What if the scumteam knows how to circumnavigate the usual 'scumtells' and play easy? As in, play on the aggressive?
[3] How do you treat scumtells when done by a player who has a reputation of being scummy? [4] How do you treat analysis from a player who has a reputation of being 'good' at hiding scumtells?

(dividing up the questions to make it easier.)
[1] Due to the fact that we lack any sort of facts at the moment, that's sort of how I'm going right now, but I'm trying to make sure to ask counter-questions to keep scum on their toes and hopefully find them when they trip. But I would like something to go off of. Do you have anything to suggest?
[2] Well, then you're just getting into WIFOM, if everyone knows how to act when under scrutiny. What do you do? And why in particular are you suspecting this?
[3] I'd treat them the same as any other, or at least I try to make a habit of it. What about you?
[4] Well, an analysis is still an analysis. You analyze the analysis. Does it add up? Why are you asking all of these questions all of the sudden? It seems like the sort of thing someone would say so they'd have it to fall back on later.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2014, 03:25:49 am »

Imperial
And NQT, its RVS, and I dont want to push anyone without making sure. Scientist just asked 3 useless questions in a row, only one of which could POSSIBLY shine some light on anything.
That's reasonable enough. It'd be hypocritical of me to go too hard on you for missing something when I miss things. You're right that Scientist's questions were useless as questions, but as conversation starters they're OK.

Wolf
Just realized that I hadn't seen this post yet, time to answer a question.

The reason I asked you that question was an allusion to the last game we played together, Smstr W/ Love.  My take on the situation would be to say at least some of it, but subtly.  It really depends on the number of people alive, but with up to three night kills a night in this game and no way to protect against them (except for the Ugly's kill reversal), I'd say as much as I thought I could without drawing an overt amount of attention onto myself.
Thanks for following this up. I think that's a sensible kind of answer. There's only really one kind of secret information town can have, and that's an alignment inspection, and ordinarily the Inspector won't want to claim anything outright.

Tiruin
Addressing the stuffs later on.
I look forward to seeing this. We don't have forever left in the day so don't take too long. Before you ask 'is this a pressure vote?', yes, it is a pressure vote. You've posted a grand total of once since the game began. I can understand that real life can get in the way, that's OK, but I'd really like to see a bit more from you before the end of the day.

As for your question: do you mean my little introductory speech? It wasn't that subtle: I outright stated I was a unionist. I enjoy a little bit of light roleplaying to set the mood; I listen to my Spaghetti Western playlist too.

Superblackcat, DarkPaladin
You've both posted a total of three times since the game began. Do you plan to use your vote before the day ends? Who do you think is the most suspicious player?

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 24, 2014, 06:46:53 am »

Tiruin:
This being my first game I don't know what else we could be doing, but talking seems definitely better than not talking.
I don't know much about reputation or scumtells either, but my common sense tells me that when scumtells aren't reliable, investigators and the process of elimination is the way to go.
As for analysis, I don't care what reputation the player has, every analysis is to be carefully inspected for errors. Analysis usually contain errors that direct to an innocent player, the difference is that townies make this errors by honest mistake and *should* correct themselves when pointed out. Scum will probably try to defend their error. If they don't, and they rectify, we still avoid an innocent player from being lynched.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 24, 2014, 07:26:58 am »

Day will end in less then 16 hours. There have been zero votes to extend

4maskwolf-
Imperial Guardsman- Solmyr, MOWE
Mastahcheese-
TheDarkStar-
notquitethere-
Caz-
Superblackcat-
Darkpaladin109- Caz
Solymr-
Tiruin- notquitethere
MyOwnWorstEnemy-
+!!scientist!!+- Imperial Guardsman
No Lynch-

Not Voting-4maskwolf, Mastahcheese, TDS, SBC, Darkpaladin109, Tiruin, +!!scientist!!+

0 votes to Extend
0 votes to Shorten

Day 1 will end on February 24th at 11:00 PM EST. (About 26.5 hours from now)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:36:18 am by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 24, 2014, 07:29:52 am »

[Why are you planning to be cautious and hidden?
I want to stay safe.
... that won't keep you safe. If anything, it'll put you in more danger of being lynched. Darkpaladin, I'm watching you.

Imperial Guardsman:
I never said that the bandwagon ended up in Mislynch. I was asking for suspicions BEFORE the lynch happened. Or if you didn't know that, at least specify yourself the conditions for your suspicions.

And even while not having experience at playing scum you would try to know what would you do.
Yes, but I am not scum, and I do not plan to  do what I would do as scum. If I was, I would be contemplating about what tactics I would use to murder the most competent players blending in and bussing scum that mess up and compromise.
... wow. That's a bit harsh. That's the first time I've heard a scum plan specifically mention the desire to bus companions who "mess up." Also, unless I'm reading incorrectly, he never accused you of being scum, yet you started explaining that you weren't scum. You're on the defense quite quickly.
If someone is going to compromise the horribly outnumbered scum team, might as well use them to secure a spot as a clear, I guess. Also, yes, scientist is a pressure vote, and on that note, Unvote Scientist, shorten

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 24, 2014, 07:32:19 am »

Persus
notquitethere- notquitethere
Tiruin-
Uh, that's not quite right.

IG
You're shortening AND unvoting. There's not long left in the day. Do you intend to cast your vote on the player you find most suspicious by the end of it?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 24, 2014, 07:41:54 am »

And on that note, IG: what's your opinion on the goings-on of today?

Borscht Post coming up.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2014, 02:04:04 pm »

I think today should be spent in debate to find out people's attitudes and who they talk to. On later days, you check this against what they are doing then. Day 1 tends to be for gathering basic information about people.

Exactly that. Day1 seems to be useless for actually finding scum for Day1, but on the following days it becomes very useful, especially once we have information on roleflips tomorrow. It's more 'going through the motionns' even though it won't be useful until a later date. Doesn't stop me from hating it, though. :P

It wasn't that subtle: I outright stated I was a unionist.
Did you read the flavour text more carefully this time? I'm still getting flashbacks of you claiming Loyalist about 3 times and we still failed to lynch you. What a terrible game.

If someone is going to compromise the horribly outnumbered scum team, might as well use them to secure a spot as a clear, I guess. Also, yes, scientist is a pressure vote, and on that note, Unvote Scientist, shorten
Giving up already? Why would you do this?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 24, 2014, 02:55:36 pm »

All right, we have less then 12 hours left (If my maths are correct)

Everyone who has cast their vote: I want you to please restate why you are voting the person you are voting, and don't quote yourself from an earlier time.

Everyone who has not yet cast their vote: If you were forced to vote someone, who would it be? Why?

If anyone has any questions toward someone's vote, now the time for it.

4maskwolf: Do you plan on using your vote today? On who, and why?
Imperial Guardsman: You've got two people voting you, how do you feel about that? What are your thoughts?
TheDarkStar: Who do you find the most suspicious? why?
notquitethere: What do your "methods" that you were advertising tell you so far? Anything useful?
Caz: I certainly won't stop you from hating D1, but what do you think will be the most useful to come from it, and why?
Superblackcat: Where are you? You've not been around much.
Darkpaladin109: You haven't been around much, you've even admitted to trying to lay low. Now, beginner mistakes aside, you should understand why this is a bad plan. I'd like for you to explain if you still believe this to be a good plan, and why or why not.
Solymr:
And even while not having experience at playing scum you would try to know what would you do.
Ok, would you tell me what you would do, since you seem to be thinking about it?
Tiruin: You need to stop delaying, Borscht or not. What are your reads so far? And if you would explain the reasons for your reads?
+!!scientist!!+: Do you feel better now that IG's pressure vote is off of you?
The Derail Thread

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 24, 2014, 03:23:43 pm »

I'm voting for Imperial Guardsman because his answers seemed suspicious. He went on the defensive pretty fast when asked about that particular question, and his last vote makes me think that he realized we're onto him and he gave up.
I'll be asleep when the day ends, so if someone wants to point out a different explanation for IG's answers other than he's scum, please do so.

And answering to that question, if a scumbuddy made a mistake I caught, first I would point him out on it IN PRIVATE, so maybe he has time to make up a reasonable excuse. I wouldn't point it out in public unless everyone is already deciding to lynch him. To be fair I have no idea what could I do in that situation to try and save his ass without looking scummy.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 24, 2014, 03:29:27 pm »

And answering to that question, if a scumbuddy made a mistake I caught, first I would point him out on it IN PRIVATE, so maybe he has time to make up a reasonable excuse. I wouldn't point it out in public unless everyone is already deciding to lynch him. To be fair I have no idea what could I do in that situation to try and save his ass without looking scummy.
Of course you'd point it out in private, that's exactly what scum should do. Because, of course, town couldn't do that, so if you say it out in the open, you're town, right? Speaking of your second answer, no, there really isn't anything you could do. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you even thought about bussing him for a slip. Certainly would make you seem like a good scum-hunter. What do you think about that thought, Solymr? And why?
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 33