Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 193

Author Topic: Banter Thread  (Read 370216 times)

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile

Also, yes, jack, that's what people say? But nobody is going to say that it's because they are sick of being insulted, because then people will need at them and call them thin-skinned for not wanting to be insulted.
For now, because I have little reason to believe otherwise, I'll assume people generally tell the truth about why they leave.  It makes sense: the game does take tons of time and effort and because being overwhelmed fits the patterns of activity I see from players who say they're leaving due to the game taking too much time and effort well.

I wasn't saying I wouldn't like things to be different, 4mask, just that I disagreed on the effects of it.
Pretty much the same here, basically, but I also disagree with the apparent conflation of aggression, anger, and insults, and tried to differentiate the three at least a bit.

Aggression is a tool.  Anger is natural.  Insults can get out of hand, and pure insults should be avoided.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 03:56:31 am by Jack A T »
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:38:07 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

I try to stop and reword things before I post so I don't end up using the more undiplomatic language that might first come out. Calling people names is completely unnecessary and I'm not sure it even works as a scum hunting technique; taking anything personally and remembering grudges from game to game is also completely unnecessary. Mafia is good for fostering ironclad self esteem and an overall spirit of magnanimousness.

But I do remember in the first month or so of playing this game, I'd be thinking things like that Leafsnail sure is a jerk, what's he got against me?* but then I played a bit more and let insults slide off me like water off a righteous-warrior-for-truth-and-justice's back. Dariush was so obnoxious I said in one game that I'd never play with him again, but I knew I couldn't actually stick to that and I let him play in my Heretics of Hexland game (then he stropped off when he was losing).

(Also, Jim, the video you posted was hilarious and appropriate)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

Insults can really rattle a new player, as I remember from personal experience, which is one reason I think it's really better for beginner Mafia players to start by playing in a Beginners Mafia games, because they get a sense of how to play before getting dropped in the big leagues.

One thing I really like about playing Supernatural 7 so far, is that none of the players are beginner Mafia players, and partially as a result, the D1 of that game was a lot better then most games I've played, where D1 has had little content beyond RVS.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

Yeah, though it can be frustrating to newcomers wanting to jump into the fun sounding games with all the kewl powers, for the players in those games everything is better when everyone knows how to play the game and can be expected to play to a high level.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

Yeah, though it can be frustrating to newcomers wanting to jump into the fun sounding games with all the kewl powers, for the players in those games everything is better when everyone knows how to play the game and can be expected to play to a high level.
I know. But if you see a martial artist do cool moves and try to replicate them without practice or training, you're going to get hurt.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

On the one hand, I can see how... Not really insults, but aggressiveness in your tone and word choice can be an actual tactic, but on the other, yeah, it can actually stir people up for real, not just in-game. (It's happened to me numerous times)

So I'm against lynching 4mask's theory, but I still get the flip side of it.
But even if it isn't causing people to flat out leave, it's still something to be monitered. (which is part of the reasons BMs are nice, as already mentioned)

But yeah, I have nothing to really add to this conversation.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

On the one hand, I can see how... Not really insults, but aggressiveness in your tone and word choice can be an actual tactic, but on the other, yeah, it can actually stir people up for real, not just in-game. (It's happened to me numerous times)

So I'm against lynching 4mask's theory, but I still get the flip side of it.
But even if it isn't causing people to flat out leave, it's still something to be monitered. (which is part of the reasons BMs are nice, as already mentioned)

But yeah, I have nothing to really add to this conversation.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

But yet you saw fit to post in it twice?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile

*realizes that he and toonyman have the same quote in their sig*
*sighs*
At least one good thing came out of Toady being alerted to the game.

Me and Toony got new sigs.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

It's rather what you do with your aggression.

If you're going to insult and flame others? Well. -_-
If you're going to use your aggression as constructive and interrogative as reason and ethical boundaries go, then that's acceptable. As in, make your words sound like :I

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile

Easy come easy go. It sure would be nice to survive to D2 one of these days. . . Hmm Asylum Mafia is looking for players. I'll take it as a compliment from the scum team I guess. Thank you!

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile

Man, I really want to get into mafia because it sounds so interesting, as well as being only slightly pushed further when table flip played the tabletop version of it, but I am really sensitive to insults even in a joking manner so I'm not too sure.
Well, I might as well dip my metaphorical toe in the water anyway.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

Man, I really want to get into mafia because it sounds so interesting, as well as being only slightly pushed further when table flip played the tabletop version of it, but I am really sensitive to insults even in a joking manner so I'm not too sure.
Most players are quite nice really. There'll be a beginner's game starting very soon, so that would be the ideal time to try.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Most players are quite nice really. There'll be a beginner's game starting very soon, so that would be the ideal time to try.
Just that negativity shouts and labels a hell lot more than ever. I've heard many a person say the Mafia board is a cesspool of hate and whatever crap they're able to attribute just because of <0.01% instances of that negativity -_-
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 193