Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 185

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 775444 times)

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #630 on: August 08, 2014, 08:24:43 am »

Lot of bugs have been fixed recently in nextgen branch, it should be usable now. Basic multilevel rendering is supported for adventure mode, but there may be many issues still, as adv. mode rendering is much more complicated than fortress mode. Overrides by tile type added also.

Next plans are to fix mapshot command, more colours, better support for overrides by tile type, rendering of levels "above" in adv. mode,  commands to manage overrides and tilesets from console, and 0.40.x support of course. That's apart from some OS X-specific things and thinking about web-based management console.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: August 08, 2014, 08:39:47 am »

Overrides by tile type added also.

Good news, all of it, but uh what's this about? What do you mean by a tile "type"?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #632 on: August 08, 2014, 08:43:23 am »

I think he means by more than just building and item type.

Keep on doing what you are doing. The plugin is great, and I have gotten very good feedback on it. And thanks for including the init settings. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #633 on: August 08, 2014, 09:55:23 am »

Overrides by tile type added also.

Good news, all of it, but uh what's this about? What do you mean by a tile "type"?

List at the bottom here - pretty much everything.
Next step could be complete custom rendering instead of overriding half of tiles, but I'm still unsure.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #634 on: August 08, 2014, 10:02:30 am »

That is a long list...

Did you see my suggestion about material-specific overrides, or checked if something like it is possible? A different tile for rock walls, metal walls, wood walls and glass walls for example.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: August 08, 2014, 10:11:59 am »

Stone, ore, ice, smooth variants of the first three and constructed stuff are what I'm seeing in that list. Combined with the floors and the grasses and other typically hardcoded things, this is still a big step forward in eliminating the niggling discrepancies.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: August 08, 2014, 10:12:29 am »

is it possible to make it so that for the multi z-level viewing when you make it past 15 z-levels you can make it switch to the default vanilla tile rather than the black one.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #637 on: August 08, 2014, 10:22:11 am »

That is a long list...

Did you see my suggestion about material-specific overrides, or checked if something like it is possible? A different tile for rock walls, metal walls, wood walls and glass walls for example.

That's the thing - if it will access / allow to override basing on almost all object properties, it will be too close to implementing my own rendering (object type and material is what needed to determine tile symbol and colour). I mean it's not optimal (and therefore I don't like it :) ) if the game first renders screen and then plugin checks all the same properties of tiles/objects and re-renders them.
On the other hand it's still the easiest way, so I'll think about materials.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #638 on: August 08, 2014, 10:22:59 am »

Yeah. :)

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #639 on: August 08, 2014, 10:24:48 am »

is it possible to make it so that for the multi z-level viewing when you make it past 15 z-levels you can make it switch to the default vanilla tile rather than the black one.

Hm, that's what it should be doing actually. I'll check it. Can you post a screenshot?

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #640 on: August 08, 2014, 10:33:26 am »

One big plus of completely replacing game rendering is ability to render floor and objects independently, so you would see real tiles behind them. It would greatly improve graphics I think.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: August 08, 2014, 10:37:23 am »

If only Toady would open-source the rendering of the game. :/

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #642 on: August 08, 2014, 10:42:49 am »

If only Toady would open-source the rendering of the game. :/

But why?
First, rendering involves accessing all internal data (tiles, objects, materials, ...), and he won't open all these internal structures.
Second, we have access to all of them via dfhack anyway, so how would making it "officially" open help?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 08, 2014, 12:16:17 pm »

Tiletypes will be so useful, nice work mifki!
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 10, 2014, 12:19:21 pm »

One big plus of completely replacing game rendering is ability to render floor and objects independently, so you would see real tiles behind them. It would greatly improve graphics I think.

That would be amazing.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 185