Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971630 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Damned Immateriums, how do they work?
« Reply #1275 on: June 25, 2015, 10:37:09 am »

Let it be an Inquisitor RPG. I've raved on about this before, but it's a perfect bloody setting for an RPG. Puritan-Radical 'morality' axis (including companions tied to that - Ork Freeboota and a Bound Daemonhost as Radical-end companions, anyone?) would be so fitting. I would love (a good one) so much. Kinda doubt it, though. GW is handing out licenses like candy and this might just be, I dunno, a tower defense game or something.

What's the company's track record, though? I have heard good things about King Arthur, I think.

Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: June 25, 2015, 10:53:52 am »

King Arthur is a neat little TW clone with some cool aditions like in-battle powers and objectives, monsters, leveling up heroes and a cool way of handling quests in a text adventure style with choices and whatnot. If WHFB wasn't already being made into a TW game it would be my first guess.

Their second series is Van Helsing, which is basically you playing the titular monster hunter, building up your lair and defending it and generally being a good enough diablo clone with enough new stuff thrown into the mix so it isn't just more of the same.

Which is why I think they're doing an Inquisitor style thing because it would be relatively easy to adjust the mechanics of VH to fit a 40k APRG nicely. Leveling up your guy, gathering loot, gathering followers, hunting demons and shit, maybe even customizing your own ship/fortress and taking care of that too.

Generally, I think it's gonna be ok, like their other games, they usually have nice ideas and they implement them ok but most times the release is kinda buggy and flawed in some way. So if it turns out good I suggest waiting for a patch or two to hit before buying.

Edit:
Also the teaser SS they released just screams inquisitor.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 10:58:36 am by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: June 25, 2015, 11:32:36 am »

Yeah, it's a massive pain.
That's why they don't announce the releases ahead of time. GW employees aren't even allowed to divulge if they've got em in the store.
This saddens me. How many points is the dark angel side of dark vengeance?

About 600 I think.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: June 25, 2015, 11:37:20 am »

Yeah, it's a massive pain.
That's why they don't announce the releases ahead of time. GW employees aren't even allowed to divulge if they've got em in the store.
This saddens me. How many points is the dark angel side of dark vengeance?

About 600 I think.
Cools so I have 700 due to my termichap (terminator chaplain)
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: June 25, 2015, 11:40:22 am »

Re: Neocore.

I enjoyed King Arthur quite a bit but it had issues. Crashes, poor performance, really messed up balance in the mid to late game.

Neocore has actually made three versions of King Arthur.

The first is called like, Crusaders. The second is King Arthur, the 3rd King Arthur 2.

Crusaders literally randomly crashed every 5 minutes for me, and never got a patch to address any of it. I got so frustrated with it, it ended up in my "category of shame" group in my Steam Library. I'd have refunded it in a heart beat if Steam refunds had been around then.

King Arthur is more stable, and a much more detailed and polished game, but has the above issues I mentioned. I've not tried King Arthur 2, nor have I played the Van Helsing games. (I noticed they put out Van Helsing 2 right on the heels of Van Helsing 1, which never endears me to developers. It's a couple steps short of the crap Cyanide pulled with Blood Bowl.)

So while I think Neocore definitely has the chops to do this right, their post-release support has not been stellar. To the point I won't run out and buy what they're making just because it's 40k and it's them.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 11:43:11 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: June 25, 2015, 04:31:38 pm »

GW totally needs to team up with Bioware for an inquisitor RPG. A Puritan - Radical axis would be a foregone conclusion then.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: June 25, 2015, 04:35:17 pm »

I'd rather not have Bioware's "Who am I fucking in this playthrough" style of design shoehorned into 40k. One of the things I appreciate about 40k is that sex has almost no play anywhere in the genre. Sure, Slaneeshi worshippers are perverts and DE Wytches and Succubi dress like street walkers, and sex gets mentioned sometimes as a natural part of the setting. But neither the writers nor the setting obsesses about it. In my memory the only people I ever remember actually having sex in anything I've read, is Commissars Cain and Gaunt. And even then, it's dealt with very briefly and casually before getting back to the grimdark.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 04:37:01 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: June 25, 2015, 04:40:02 pm »

Ah, I really need to read the Ibram Gaunt stuff. I've read most of Cain's, and it's pretty awesome.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: June 25, 2015, 04:42:30 pm »

Gaunt is pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum from Cain, both as a character and how all the stories are structured. Having read both, Gaunt is by far the better written story. (Because Dan Abnett is a great writer.) Cain is however the more interesting character, even if you end up reading the same "Cain-isms" from book, to book, to book. (Seriously, the author writes as though the reader is picking up each Cain novel for the first time, so they constantly reintroduce Jurgen using the same lines over and over again....really started to get on my nerves by the 6th book. Even Amberley, who is supposed to the confident of the reader, ends up repeating herself constantly.)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1284 on: June 25, 2015, 04:55:20 pm »

Gaunt's 2spookys is pretty great, and Dan the man loves his human enemies and loves making them human (no skullfucking chaos lolrandom burnpillagers, they have administrators), for better and worse - no shiny xenos sadly. Nevertheless, sexy writing is abound.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: June 25, 2015, 04:57:39 pm »

Cain is however the more interesting character, even if you end up reading the same "Cain-isms" from book, to book, to book.

True. Now I think about it, I read most of his books out of order and with months in between.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: June 25, 2015, 04:59:53 pm »

Gaunt's 2spookys is pretty great, and Dan the man loves his human enemies and loves making them human (no skullfucking chaos lolrandom burnpillagers, they have administrators), for better and worse - no shiny xenos sadly. Nevertheless, sexy writing is abound.

Abnett manages to write unaligned Chaos baddies in a way that almost makes them seem cooler than your garden variety champion of the big 4. Heritor Asphodel is like one of my favorite baddies ever.

Also....

"Samus is the man beside you. SAMUS IS YOU."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: June 25, 2015, 11:07:06 pm »

Immediately trotted out and bought Dan 'the man' Abnett's first three books. Apparently they've just been re-released.

I am filled with regret. I should've bought an omnibus. The lettering on these things are HUGE. Are we all supposed to be myopic or did they just wanna get dollars for white space?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: June 25, 2015, 11:14:11 pm »

"Samus is the man beside you. SAMUS IS YOU."
And now I'm thinking of one of the weirder Super Metroid crossovers I could conceptualize. I guess Samus would be slannesh or tzeentch sworn in that one? To account for the genderswap/mind fuckery or whatever's going on there.

... actually, thinking on it marginally more, the Chozo would fit fairly well into Tzeentch's iconography, wouldn't they? Huh. Samus's colors are more Khorne, but the zero suit is pretty blue...

... and honestly, thinking somewhat more, the Metroid storyline even sorta' plays out like a Tzeentch plot if you squint at it right, doesn't it? Hrm...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 11:18:16 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: June 26, 2015, 12:43:28 am »

Immediately trotted out and bought Dan 'the man' Abnett's first three books. Apparently they've just been re-released.

I am filled with regret. I should've bought an omnibus. The lettering on these things are HUGE. Are we all supposed to be myopic or did they just wanna get dollars for white space?

Don't feel bad, I basically did the same thing. Bought half the Eisenhorn Trilogy but could never find a copy of the last book, so I bought the Omnibus. Bought a handful of Gaunt's Ghost novels before I really knew what I was getting into, and then went on to buy (one) of the Gaunt Omnibi. FWIW they are starting to reprint the whole Gaunt series in single books again.

And yeah. GWS and the Black Library has a bad habit of making their books look HUGE. It's really obnoxious in the Horus Heresy series where they went from your average paper back novel size to what I think of as graphic novels sizes, mid way through the series. The font is huge and the books stick out like a sore thumb in my collection, where they almost triple in physical dimensions.

I imagine it's because once they realized the series was getting really popular, they wanted to offer buyers a sort of "grander" looking edition. Because I can tell you, not a one of those oversized books is long enough to actually justify the size increase, and I have 800 page monsters from them they still print in the standard size despite it making a total pain in the ass to hold them.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 824