Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971816 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Damned Immateriums, how do they work?
« Reply #1320 on: June 30, 2015, 07:44:51 am »

From what I understand, old 40K (early rogue trader era stuff and etc) seemed kinda like those 80/90s saturday morning cartoons in some ways, with quirky villains and ocasional humor, and the whole grimdark thing wasn't emphasized that much. While 40k did change to a far more darker and edgier grimdark thing, there's still some humor around, with Orks, at least. I really dont like when they just depict orks just as screaming barbarians and nun' of da kool ork speak, like in Space Marine, in which the orks spoke mostly like brittish humans, spoke 40 different iterations of SPESS MARHEEN and screamed WAAAAHHH instead of WAAAAAAGH.

Also, in space marine, orks are actualy scared of things, like when they meet the bloodletters and try to run away.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 07:46:24 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: June 30, 2015, 08:16:50 am »

The thing that I want to see the most in 40K fluff is more competent mechanicum. Dan Abnett did a wonderful job of depicting cogboys who weren't terminally insane and/or retarded in his Titanicus, why is it so hard for anybody to do it again?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: June 30, 2015, 08:20:32 am »

da kool ork speak
this is literally the worst part of 40k ;_;

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1323 on: June 30, 2015, 09:18:27 am »

I do say my fellow fungal friend, this red pigment makes my vehicular engine of war accelerate at an increased pace!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: June 30, 2015, 09:22:15 am »

Dear colleague, it seems that currently there is not enough ballistic ammunition available for our firearms. Alas! I requisition more of it!
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: June 30, 2015, 09:23:28 am »

What ho, you scoundrels; I believe it is time for jolly fisticuffs, don't you?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: June 30, 2015, 10:05:34 am »

From what I understand, old 40K (early rogue trader era stuff and etc) seemed kinda like those 80/90s saturday morning cartoons in some ways, with quirky villains and ocasional humor, and the whole grimdark thing wasn't emphasized that much.

Eeeehhhh, not really. RT wasn't as grim dark as today's 40k, but what came immediately after (Realms of Chaos) was grim dark as fuck, and actually makes some 40k today look staid and sanitary by comparison.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: June 30, 2015, 11:41:27 am »

From what I understand, old 40K (early rogue trader era stuff and etc) seemed kinda like those 80/90s saturday morning cartoons in some ways, with quirky villains and ocasional humor, and the whole grimdark thing wasn't emphasized that much.

Eeeehhhh, not really. RT wasn't as grim dark as today's 40k, but what came immediately after (Realms of Chaos) was grim dark as fuck, and actually makes some 40k today look staid and sanitary by comparison.
OOOH! Can I have an example!
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: June 30, 2015, 11:49:28 am »

I don't own the books, I only know what I've remembered looking over them at a friend's house. Here's the wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realm_of_Chaos_%28Warhammer%29

Note that it covers both fantasy and 40k, before such a distinction really existed. Part of what makes it grimdark to me is the art. None of that clean line, World of Warcraft style that sort of dominates today. Back then it was all the really gnarly, almost unintelligible splatter art.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: June 30, 2015, 12:01:14 pm »

I'm not sure if it was his art in those, but John Blanche's art (which was in the 40k rulebook a few editions back at least) is quite spectacular and gave 40k a vivid look. Often pretty horrific and grimdark, but more... insane than grim. I've not bought a rulebook or codex or anything in years, so I have no idea if he's still illustrating for 40k.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: June 30, 2015, 12:02:40 pm »

Not sure if he's still doodling for GWS. There's a lot of his art in the Fantasy Flight RPG books that looks original. While I don't really love his style, it is what I think think of when I think of 40k's art.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: June 30, 2015, 12:03:13 pm »

I do like old warhammer art. Much of it looked super gritty back then, full of jumbles of lines in black and white, making it look like some sort of late medieval depiction of hell at times. It was pretty cool, and daemons looked more daemony.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: June 30, 2015, 09:41:07 pm »

In Space Marine the orks screamed WAAAAHHH instead of WAAAAAAGH.

I thought that was how you screamed 'Waagh'. Is it meant to be phlegmy at the end or something?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: June 30, 2015, 11:41:38 pm »

No, you end it gutturally, and with a hard but short and almost stretched 'gh' in the back of your threat as you run out of air.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: July 01, 2015, 01:42:17 am »

Basically engage your worst cockney accent, pretend you're drunk, then yell 'war'.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 824