Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971241 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #1500 on: August 31, 2015, 01:41:23 pm »

I'm pretty sure the problem is that the spores get everywhere - destroying them is fairly simple, finding every single one less so. But yeah, Exterminatus, Tyranid nomming, any kind of extensive, long-term purging will do the trick. I'm pretty sure it's not impossible to clear a planet of Orks without resorting to Exterminatus, it's just a long and not very glorious process.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: August 31, 2015, 01:55:27 pm »

I'm pretty sure the problem is that the spores get everywhere - destroying them is fairly simple, finding every single one less so. But yeah, Exterminatus, Tyranid nomming, any kind of extensive, long-term purging will do the trick. I'm pretty sure it's not impossible to clear a planet of Orks without resorting to Exterminatus, it's just a long and not very glorious process.

So it's never been done? Millions die and no one finishes the job by liquid firing everything to death?

Damn the inquisition is just too simple minded.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: August 31, 2015, 04:24:27 pm »

That's why it tends to be left to PDF to do it, most of them won't see glory even if you give them binoculars.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: August 31, 2015, 09:22:16 pm »

Well, the spores get everywhere, but they can't grow just anywhere. Which is why Hive Worlds don't tend to have issues with feral Ork populations anywhere near the scale that Feudal or Feral Worlds tend to. Lot less places for them to grow. As long as you cleanse those places regularly before they grow to the Ork stage(Grots, Snotlings, and Squigs aren't really all that dangerous in comparison), then there isn't much of an issue.

If you have the capability to, whilst fighting the Orks, burn them all, you'll have a much easier time eliminating the spores. If you're on a Death World, the issue isn't even the number of Orks spawning, so much as it is the inability to deal with them then and/or get a path to where they are. Death World kills Orks and Ork spores, too. There are certainly enough of them that some will survive and grow and reproduce, but acid from a giant malicious plant will get rid of it just as surely as fire from a Hellhound.

My guess is that the Tau probably have a system for finding and basically bleaching massive areas to rid themselves of the spores, if only because they have to fight the Orks more than they do/have any other race, either in length or amount. Damocles Crusade nearly took a Sept world, but I think some WAAAGHs have threatened essentially the entire Empire, before. *shrug*
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1504 on: September 01, 2015, 07:39:50 am »

In theory, the only way to truly eradicate the Ork prescence is Exterminatus. You can kill every single Ork and the spores they leave behind will just turn into Squiggs and Orks eventually. Once the Ork had touched down on a planet, they're there to stay in some form.
Some planets are so hostile to life not even Ork spores can survive, also consider they'll have to fair against local viruses and Imperial fungicides (including copious amounts of fire bombing) and so much industrial pollution that not even a nurgling could survive in it. I wonder what the optimal sporing conditions for one of the bastards is though, has that ever come up in fluff?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: September 01, 2015, 10:09:20 am »

In theory, the only way to truly eradicate the Ork prescence is Exterminatus. You can kill every single Ork and the spores they leave behind will just turn into Squiggs and Orks eventually. Once the Ork had touched down on a planet, they're there to stay in some form.
Some planets are so hostile to life not even Ork spores can survive, also consider they'll have to fair against local viruses and Imperial fungicides (including copious amounts of fire bombing) and so much industrial pollution that not even a nurgling could survive in it. I wonder what the optimal sporing conditions for one of the bastards is though, has that ever come up in fluff?

Optimal conditions are like any fungus, they like damp and dark, with a decent amount of dead matter to metabolise in their early life stages, but they'll adapt to just about any conditions that don't outright kill the spores.

They do gradually Orkify any terrain they dwell on though, growing large mushroom fields/forests populated by squigs of various kinds, so I'd assume they do their absolute best in already Orkified land.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1506 on: September 01, 2015, 10:14:31 am »

I kinda want to see a story where some Imperials try to irrigate a desert and accidentally awaken dormant Ork spores

It'd be like a clime change aesop only with more dakka

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: September 01, 2015, 11:17:17 am »

I do remember a story somewhere about Orks crashing a rok on Catachan.
They mustered the guard to go out to meet them, only to find out that the entire invading force had been obliterated by the local flora and fauna.

So I guess deathworld > orks.

It should be noted that if it's an ENTIRE space marine chapter that hasn't only just been founded, it'd have to be one hell of an Ork force to stand a chance at all.

You would be surprised. I think a full space marine chapter (- wargear, etc) is about ~22,000 points on the table.
The 'full chapter' is I believe 1000 marines per chapter.
Disregarding non-codex astartes like the wolves or the black templars, or 'codex in name' astartes like the ultramarines and their various subordinate successor chapters.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1508 on: September 01, 2015, 01:23:11 pm »

You would be surprised. I think a full space marine chapter (- wargear, etc) is about ~22,000 points on the table.
Disregarding non-codex astartes like the wolves or the black templars, or 'codex in name' astartes like the ultramarines and their various subordinate successor chapters.
Pointwise yes, fluffwise new chapters are founded when there's some serious shit happening (meaningful Ork Waaaagh or Tyranids or whatever)/going to happen (Imperial Tarot ahoy), there is no marines in whole sector (or even bunch of sectors) or they're making a crusading chapter. I think this was how things were in old SM Chapter creation tables.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 01:24:53 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1509 on: September 01, 2015, 03:06:34 pm »

I just want to see the Dark Angels stop being all angsty and brooding and just unleash their gargantuan legion upon the Imperium of man

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: September 01, 2015, 06:01:20 pm »

I just want to see the Dark Angels stop being all angsty and brooding and just unleash their gargantuan legion upon the Imperium of man

If they weren't angsty and brooding, they wouldn't be Derp Angles anymore.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: September 01, 2015, 08:52:29 pm »

Orks do well on Aurelia. A desert planet on dawn of war 2. Just saying.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: September 01, 2015, 09:13:37 pm »

Desert planet doesn't actually mean 100% desert, despite the one-biome tendencies to assign Imperial planets. There were jungles too, if I remember right.

Plus, a desert isn't actually that harsh compared to some Death Worlds.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: September 02, 2015, 01:23:59 am »

Green skin right? Mebe they photosynthesize?

Fluffwise new chapters are founded when there's some serious shit happening (meaningful Ork Waaaagh or Tyranids or whatever)/going to happen (Imperial Tarot ahoy), there is no marines in whole sector (or even bunch of sectors) or they're making a crusading chapter. I think this was how things were in old SM Chapter creation tables.
Huh. I thought they just made a new chapter when they had more geneseed in reserve than they were allowed - or - could do things with.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: September 02, 2015, 07:35:17 am »

I dont remember much vegetation there. And the jungle levels where on another planet. At least gameplaywise. I dont know if the lore describes that planet as having something else beyond arid plains and deserts. However it stands to reason that no matter how harsh, there have to be some means to support human life, hence it can easily stand orkoid life too.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 824