Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965422 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #3225 on: March 02, 2016, 02:50:38 pm »

But if you keep needling other posters and admit you're using the forum to vent, guess what? You're gonna earn a ban eventually. You already got moderated for not being able to chill out once, remember? Take the hint.
Guess what.
No.

It's not like I'm maliciously being a dick to other people for what they actually are and do. And I didin't got moderated for not being able to chill out, I got moderated for chilling out too much and using a meme that I don't even find offensive, but it apparently hurt some people feelings. Take a hint and and stop "needling" me for admitting that I am, indeed, quite a dick from time to time and anything offensive I did might have been simply due to deflected emotions from real life problems, since my purpose was to defuse the situation before it becomes anything more than it is.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 02:56:01 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: March 02, 2016, 02:55:37 pm »

No one cares why you're being a dick. They just care that you're being one.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: March 02, 2016, 02:57:36 pm »

SO HOW BOUT THAT LORD OF CHANGE EH TACK YOU WERE DOING PRETTY COOL THINGS TO IT
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: March 02, 2016, 03:05:17 pm »

WHY ARE WE SCREAMING NOW??? ARE YOU GOING FAR AWAY?

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3229 on: March 02, 2016, 03:07:00 pm »

Then what about you stop caring about why I'm a dick and stop being one, since apparently noone involved has been offended yet. Take a hint and go away to wait until I do something actually offensive, since that's apparently what you want to do.

FOR THE EMPEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: March 02, 2016, 03:11:55 pm »

I'm not angry, just utterly mystified by anyone defending bad storytelling.
I'm amazed you're 'mystified' by people defending the storytelling of a vast setting.

In a thread for said setting.
Kot, stop being a wank love you bro.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: March 02, 2016, 03:12:37 pm »

So about those genestealer cults. Hot damn! Mixed response and expensive minis means I probably won't get it but damn, I kind of want to.

Anyone else hopeful about GW's boardgame future? This is what, fourth game since 2014 Space Hulk reprint? I hope they keep at it and I hope they get the prices a little down. ~100€ for Space Hulk? Fair enough, quality components and design warrants it. But it seems that Deathwatch Overkill has a bit too much former and not enough of the latter.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: March 02, 2016, 03:31:02 pm »

Could somebody explain me the hype with those sexy models? I mean, did the genestealers models got off production for a while? Or rectoned or something else?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: March 02, 2016, 03:34:07 pm »

The very assumption of it being impossible to coexist with other entities capable of reason is without merit.  The Necron, Tyrannids, and Orks are good examples of why 'only war' exists in the setting is that they cannot be reasoned with at all.

Both Orks and Necrons can be reasoned with and often work with/for various other races. It's just rarely a long lived arrangement since both races have their own agendas and motives which are usually most readily pursued at the expense of others.

The Tyranids can't be reasoned with, but that's not because they aren't sapient (Norn Queens are fully sapient hyperintelligent beings) but rather that they see everything that isn't a higher stage Tyranid lifeform the way we view cattle and have no interest in communing with them. It'd be like talking to a beefburger.

The unwillingness of the Eldar to work with other races is actually quite sensible when you understand their perspective. A consistent part of their depiction throughout the history of 40k is that they find humans (and other races) as inherently disgusting. We breathe wrong, talk wrong, move wrong, look wrong, build wrong, everything about humans is wrong to them to lesser or greater extent. Add that a lot of human colonies are built on old Eldar worlds and they view humans in much the same way as we'd view the lovechild of a Lovecraftian monster and a chimpanzee with Down's Syndrome that had been beaten with an ugly stick and just happened to be living in a hovel made of human bones. Of course they're just as wrong in every way to human perceptions as well, so the feeling is mutual.

As for the Tau, they possess a world view that is inherently dangerous. Their naivety has killed multiple worlds before now. They've made deals with races like the Dark Eldar that saw entire planets of their people dragged into Commorragh to be tortured and enslaved, they've interfered in Chaos rituals that saw entire worlds burned in sacrifice to the Chaos Gods. The fact they enslave humans in gulags and are only held together by gentle mind control is largely irrelevant compared to the fact that these are the sort of people who would allow races like the Yuu'Vath or the Slaugh to walk in and become citizens. Hell, they'd permit chaos worship in their empire on the grounds that they don't believe in gods and that petty superstitions are better being phased out than stamped out.

It's best to think of the various Xenos races as being eldritch monsters (especially the Eldar), they're alien in thought, form and deed. No one would try to negotiate with the Slaugh or the Rak'Gol, nor should they, and the Eldar and Tau are no less alien and inimical to human life.

Could somebody explain me the hype with those sexy models? I mean, did the genestealers models got off production for a while? Or rectoned or something else?

Genestealers have had models for ages, the Genestealer Cultists haven't had any for something like 2 decades even though Tyranid players have been begging for them for about as long. The fact that they have mini-rules (that are actually decent) as well is just icing on the cake to the people who've been holding out for them.

Genestealers are one of the iconic Tyranid lifeforms, they've been around since before the 'nids themselves, so they have a pretty strong fanbase.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3234 on: March 02, 2016, 03:41:41 pm »

The Tyranids can't be reasoned with, but that's not because they aren't sapient (Norn Queens are fully sapient hyperintelligent beings) but rather that they see everything that isn't a higher stage Tyranid lifeform the way we view cattle and have no interest in communing with them. It'd be like talking to a beefburger.
Technically, it seems that it's possible, since Varro Tigurius did it (kind of), but on the other hand, he's Varro Tigurius, aka the Matt Ward lovechild that has physic powers stronger than Emperors own, so...

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: March 02, 2016, 03:43:54 pm »

Oh I see... neat for nids players. I like tyranids too, specially when they blow up under plasma fire and shelling from basilisks.

I was going to point out the New Necrons (with NEW HAT) can be "reasonable" at times. I like more the old Necrons, however I admit they where painting themselves in a corner with that, and thankfully they didn't blow up the whole galaxy to "fix" that like they did on FB.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 03:45:56 pm by LordBaal »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: March 02, 2016, 03:48:01 pm »

Oh I see... neat for nids players. I like tyranids too, specially when they blow up under plasma fire and shelling from basilisks.

The best thing about the new Genestealer Cult stuff is that it'll let 'stealers do what they're supposed to and assault from Infiltrate. There's a major limit on the numbers in the Cult, but it's still way better than the current way 'stealers work. Or don't work to be more honest. As a former 'nid player and someone with a 'nid player in my family I can pretty confidently say Genestealers have been needing to either be able to assault turn 1 or be about 6 points cheaper for 3 editions now. Ymgarl Genestealers were pretty good back when they were a thing, but they got dropped from the rules for some reason.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: March 02, 2016, 04:06:48 pm »

SO HOW BOUT THAT LORD OF CHANGE EH TACK YOU WERE DOING PRETTY COOL THINGS TO IT

I think you're thinking of me rather than Tack there.  :P

It's currently in the process of being painted, though I'm not really happy with how some bits of it turned out in the green stuffing step and I'm going to have to go back and modify them more. I'll post a pic once I've got the skin and feathers finished since it looks pretty ugly in the current step of painting.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: March 02, 2016, 04:07:20 pm »

...you two have similar-looking avatars in my muddled memory :P
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: March 02, 2016, 06:41:42 pm »

As for the Tau, they possess a world view that is inherently dangerous. Their naivety has killed multiple worlds before now. They've made deals with races like the Dark Eldar that saw entire planets of their people dragged into Commorragh to be tortured and enslaved, they've interfered in Chaos rituals that saw entire worlds burned in sacrifice to the Chaos Gods. The fact they enslave humans in gulags and are only held together by gentle mind control is largely irrelevant compared to the fact that these are the sort of people who would allow races like the Yuu'Vath or the Slaugh to walk in and become citizens. Hell, they'd permit chaos worship in their empire on the grounds that they don't believe in gods and that petty superstitions are better being phased out than stamped out.

It's best to think of the various Xenos races as being eldritch monsters (especially the Eldar), they're alien in thought, form and deed. No one would try to negotiate with the Slaugh or the Rak'Gol, nor should they, and the Eldar and Tau are no less alien and inimical to human life.
Eh.

I disagree. On the inherently dangerous part, that is, as well as the only held together by mind control part(I mean, they are, but not only because of that; Farsight's dudes stick together just fine and they've dropped Ethereals entirely). Since they don't allow Orks to become citizens, I don't know if they would let the Yuu'Vah or Slaugh in. I mean, they might, if they were bein' kunnin', but it's kinda up in the air. Most of the races they assimilate aren't all that bad.

Chaos worship is...tricky. Hints in the lore are that the higher ups know what's going on, but are hiding it from the public (rather like the Imperium in that respect; I mean it when I say Tau are the Neo-Great Crusade, with the exception that they don't have a wealth of worlds to just pick up like the Imperium, nor the Emperor/Space Marines/Titan Legions. They make do.), and considering the Orwellian nature of the Tau (on that note; the Tau are nowhere near as murderboner as the Imperium. They far prefer getting rid of your boners as punishment), advanced miniaturization and nanotechnology and whatnot, and the surveillance state and 'cultists disappear quietly and records of them are erased' could be a very effective and relatively tauitarian means of dealing with the problem. By relative, I'm talking compared to exterminatus, here.

Speaking of which, do you guys think the fluff will ever have the Tau use their currently-being developed send-stars-into-supernova technology? And then be steamrolled by an Imperium that says 'LOLNOPE NOT HAPPENIN' in response?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 824