Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965279 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #3945 on: April 26, 2016, 06:13:50 am »

You youngins, I remember when the Crons used some mysterious form of FTL that seemed to function like a traditional sci-fi jumpdrive, bypassing the warp entirely.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: April 26, 2016, 07:57:17 am »

Like humanity has some sort of 'right' to survive.  None of the factions deserve to live, they're all just dark for the purpose of being dark, so they have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.  Only the Tau even tried to have any sort of positive outlook, and of course GW went and turned them into 'more of the same'.

Well, not to be problematic or anything, but if the continued existence of humanity and everyone I love relied entirely upon me slowly breaking the bones of living alien babies while their parents watch as I read mein kampf out loud, hey, I'd do it, and I'd do it with a smile.

Point is that, in order to survive in the 40k universe, you're kinda required to be a horrible dick. The Tau are just dicks in a way that less noticeable. Its easier to appear as a saint when your slaves are bred and manipulated both through chemistry and propaganda to sing praises to you, even if you're just using them as cannon fodder.

The other thing that makes people dislike the Tau is that they were specifically created to be special and different, they were shoehorned into the setting to constrast with everything in the 40k universe at first, to attract new people to the setting. When GW noticed so many people disliked them, they got revised to be more adequately grimdark, with Farsight being the only actualy redeeming thing about them as of late.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: April 26, 2016, 08:59:25 am »

Necrons used to have something like reactionless drives which travelled on real space at fucking insane speeds but also allowed them to stop on a dime if they wanted. I think to recall something about the ships phasing out like the Wraiths to not crash into anything.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3948 on: April 26, 2016, 09:15:10 am »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: April 26, 2016, 09:39:47 am »

I'll be honest, I skipped to the bits involving me.
Also on my "what were the chaos gods doing" bit, I may have messed up and said strife instead of DAoTech.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3950 on: April 26, 2016, 10:30:25 am »

I'll be honest, I skipped to the bits involving me.
Also on my "what were the chaos gods doing" bit, I may have messed up and said strife instead of DAoTech.
Before the Dark age of Technology the Eldar hadn't birthed the eye of terror yet, so the chaos gods' influence on the material world wasn't as "oh dear god why is everything exploding" as it is in the grimdark grimness of the grimennium. I imagine it's largely because in the aftermath of the war in heaven the shamans mass suicided, the Old Ones went super extinct and the Eldar hid in the webway until shit calmed down.
From then on there was pretty much no one who could challenge the Eldar and so cause the warp to grow turbulent again; the eldar didn't even have to fear death because the warp was so safe they could just come back from the warp, with the three chaos gods too malnourished to think about doing much until Slaanesh arrived to kick their arses into action

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: April 26, 2016, 01:20:59 pm »

You're forgetting the Enslavers, but yeah malnourished seems to work. I guess when the humans had their psychic lightswitch flipped at the very end of the DaoT, that probably would've been what caused the Chaos gods to wake up fully.
Which, given that was when the warpstorms started and Slaanesh started being born... Does that means Humanity was responsible for the Fall?
Hah. Fuck you space elves.

In other news, which is the race which has that 'The bigger the thing you're moving towards is and the further away, the faster you go' thingo. I feel like that's 'nids.
Basically plot-engines.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: April 26, 2016, 01:23:38 pm »

Yeah, that sounds like what I remember of nid ftl.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: April 26, 2016, 02:27:20 pm »

Tyranid FTL functions by Narvhal bio-ships making corridors of space with warped gravity in them. They can only target places with a noticeable gravity, such as planets and star systems, and can only do so from a distance away as they get interference from other celestial bodies when they get nearer.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: April 27, 2016, 01:34:00 am »

Hence they turn up quickly, and then loom.

Hence plot-engines.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3955 on: April 27, 2016, 06:55:54 am »

I'm just imagining what malnourished and anorexic chaos gods look like now. Khorne would be in his skinny mode because he's got no protein to make massive gains, Tzeentch would probably look the same only more of a bonier chicken and Nurgle would probably be fatter (fluid retention)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: April 27, 2016, 11:01:56 pm »

they're designed to be the naive race, not the 'secretly super evil' race.
They're naive because they're young. As they get older, they will lose their naivety and become the secretly super evil race. They won't stay naive forever.
What're you basing that off of? What are you going off to say that this just a phase for the Imperium, and really, they'd be nice if you just stopped making them hit you, you stupid, stupid xenos don't you see I actually love you why do you make me do this to you? This is your fault that I'm hitting you, really. I just can't control myself when you're so different and inhuman.

What are you going off of to say that the Tau will do a 180 degree switch once they realize Chaos is a thing? Because they already know some races can't be reasoned with. What are you going off to say that this will happen? How much Tau lore do you actually know? I'm inundated with Imperial lore, considering it's the focus of the whole bloody franchise, but what are you going off of?

Planetary governors would not hand over rule to the people and let Democracy.
I should hope not. People gaining status and responsibility based on popularity rather than competence would be pretty shit. It's basically high-end cronyism.
As compared to heredity, status, wealth, or luck?
I wrote up detailed responses to these two but apparently it didn't post and now they're gone forever, so I'll just post a tl;dr. First, they started off noblebright but now they're using lobotomy chips and Shadowsun is pissed that Aun'va is dead. That'll spread, the Tau will get harder and thus eviler. Second, it's better to promote based on merit.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: April 27, 2016, 11:06:57 pm »

it's better to promote based on merit.
good luck with that
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: April 27, 2016, 11:40:12 pm »

good luck with that
*looks sideways at 'I drown Tyranids in corpses* Chenkov, a highly decorated Imperial Guard commander*
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3959 on: April 27, 2016, 11:49:32 pm »

good luck with that
*looks sideways at 'I drown Tyranids in corpses* Chenkov, a highly decorated Imperial Guard commander*
He is apparently pretty effective... and remember, Zhukov is to this day considered one of best (if not the best, certainly the most decorated, IIRC) commanders of WW2.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 824