Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965508 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4860 on: July 11, 2016, 11:48:18 pm »

What's this about stochastic void sailors?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: July 12, 2016, 12:01:33 am »

True, Ethereals have some weird power we aren't getting, but farsight doesn't seem to like.
But, truthfully, the IoM is just less stable and less nice all around.

Tau are undoubtedly the goodest guys (although Eldar is also up there), so 'course people are gonna have a problem with it.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: July 12, 2016, 12:07:06 am »

If the Imperium is humanity, then humans aren't worth saving.
I am like, completly sure that you're mind controlled by Tau Ethereal now.
Better let your own race stop existing and get forgotten because you enjoy some Weaboo mind-control alien and think that the extreme sacrifices of your onw kind and our violent struggle for survival is evil.
Better let my own race be assimilated into a larger empire than try to maintain hegemony over the galaxy at the price of everything that makes us human, yeah. The vast majority of the Imperium is not human. It is fear and brutality and bureaucracy made manifest. It is all that which makes us human purged away, leaving only hatred and contempt and struggle. There is no art, save for in the towering spires of the Hive Cities and the pristine halls of the Shrine Worlds. There is no beauty, save that which might be found in a hero's sacrifice or in a chance arrangement of fortifications. There is no creativity, save in the Inquisition, for whom the task of inventing new ways of rooting out heresy will never cease. There is never progress, save towards an inexorable doom. There is no hope, only determination, grit, and a pleasant surprise if you happen to survive another day. If you aren't lobotomized, of course. There is no love, save that given towards the Emperor. To love anything besides the Imperium, the Aquila, and Mankind in general is heretical. There is no tolerance, save that reserved for allowing the use of any tactic, no matter how brutal or merciless. There is no light but the Emperor, and that visible only to Navigators. There is no peace. There is no joy. There is no meaning save relentless struggle.

That is not humanity. Even your words make it clear. That is sheer animal struggle. That is the most base of evolutionary processes, given cruel machinery and stagnation such that it slowly grinds itself into oblivion.

It is not that it is evil. It is that it is pointless. Were the Imperium to lose, nothing of value would be lost. It is only that the humans who are not subject to the entirety of it's weight might die, and the galaxy itself and all of the beings in it would perish to whichever threat was most dominant at the time.

The Imperium is not humanity. The Imperium is simply the majority of humans, stripped of their humanity. They are cogs in a machine, nothing more. There is no meaning to their existence. There is scarcely more in their death. It is survival and hatred and longing for a past that once was. It is not the humanity I love.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: July 12, 2016, 12:51:47 am »

There is no peace. There is no joy. There is no meaning save relentless struggle.
In the grim darkness, there truly is only war.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: July 12, 2016, 12:55:58 am »

There is no such thing as friendly competition. There is no such thing as friendship, truly. camaraderie, perhaps, and brotherhood, but no friendship, which blinds man to potential heresy.

It is a twisted caricature of humanity, and a betrayal of all that I hold dear. That, Kot, is why I do not believe something such as the Imperium would b worth saving. Humanity would already be dead. Only a bloated, shambling corpse is left to flail in its wake.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4865 on: July 12, 2016, 01:45:50 am »

You tell me that humans are not human anymore. That, due to fear, brutality, bureaucracy, hatred and struggle we have lost it. That we aren't capable of producing art anymore, that nothing we do is beautiful, that we can't be creative and can't progress, there is no tolerance, no friendship, no joy, no peace, no love, no meaning, no hope, no light.
A lot of it is true. One would have to be blind to not see it. It is our darkest hour. In the grim darkness of far future, there truly is only war.
But you're also wrong. Very, very wrong.
Despite the fear, we are brave. Despite the brutality, we can be kind. Despite the bureaucracy, we can be understanding. Despite the hatred, we can love. The towering spires of Hive Cities and pristine halls of Shrine Worlds are our art, crude, cold but ours. We find beauty in the least expected places. We often need to commit our crativity to survival, but we still invent, despite all the dangers it brings us, we try to progress. We must reject other races, but amoung ourselves we are more tolerant than ever. We are united together, as human race. Our lives are hard and we suffer, but we find joy in our daily lives and in our survival. And what do we fight for, if not peace? We love each other because we're human, and we love the Emperor because he is our Human God. Our struggle is our meaning, and we struggle because there is still hope.

You say that this is not humanity because we struggle like animals. But we are animals. We are much more than animals, but in the base of evolutionary process, we are animal and our main reason is survival, simply because there is still hope.

You say that it's pointless, because if the Imperium would lose, nothing of value would be lost... but we would be lost. To Warp with the rest, we would be lost, there would be no chance anymore and there would be no hope. But for now, there is still hope.

You say that Imperium is not humanity and that humans no longer are humans. But yet, every single soul, every cog united in Imperium has their own dreams and their own lives. Our existence is devoted to the Imperium, because Imperium is us. We may all die and we will give our lives hapilly, because it serves the Imperium. We give everything to the greater good of our survival, because as long as we survive, there is still hope, that one day we will suprass our past and we will finally find peace amongs the fiery skies. This is the humanity I love. Despite all that has happened, despite being beaten many times over, despite being reduced to little more than a shadow of the most basic of our forms, we still rise, we unite and no matter what, we laugh in the face of death. And if we have to die, we will die standing.
But there is still hope.

Also...
Better let my own race be assimilated into a larger empire than try to maintain hegemony over the galaxy at the price of everything that makes us human, yeah.
>Tau
>Larger empire
Wat.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: July 12, 2016, 01:55:07 am »

Tau are even more brainwashed if ever

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: July 12, 2016, 05:43:42 am »

I don't get how this thread is 90% Tau-Imperium debates. Why is no-one asking the right questions? We shouldn't go for either the tyrannical fascist empire or the brainwashing alien empire. Join the Great Devourer today! Become biomass for the endless hordes! Find unity in being eaten and processed into a Ripper Swarm! Forget fear, anxiety, sorrow - in the swarm, there is only the benevolent will of the Hive Mind.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4868 on: July 12, 2016, 05:46:50 am »

Tyrannical fascism is pretty great though
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: July 12, 2016, 05:48:24 am »

Well, considering what /other/ power is dominated by humans, yeah :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: July 12, 2016, 05:59:55 am »

Just paint yourself green and shout Waaagh! and you'll be fine.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4871 on: July 12, 2016, 06:14:45 am »

The towering spires of Hive Cities and pristine halls of Shrine Worlds are our art, crude, cold but ours.
Towering baroque spires and pristine halls of the shrine worlds... Crude? You aren't one of those fancy Eldar are you? :P

If the Imperium is humanity, then humans aren't worth saving.
If humanity is humanity, humanity doesn't deserve saving. Not going to stop us fighting tooth and nail to survive, because the human spirit is to persevere under hardship, to keep on and never stopping

Better let my own race be assimilated into a larger empire than try to maintain hegemony over the galaxy at the price of everything that makes us human, yeah.
Roflemao
The Tau are a smaller, much smaller Empire (their entire species is outnumbered by a handful of Hive worlds and would fit inside the Ultramar Empire inside of the Imperial Empire), so destroying your own race just to avoid any self sacrifice seems like a pointless surrender of everything human in order to appease the Ethereals and get holowaifus whilst your species dies out to a brave new world

Fear, brutality and bureaucracy, all parts of humanity right there. Hatred, contempt and struggle, really freaking human right there. In the 41st Millennium, perhaps the only thing not of value lost, is modern "art". Oh and there's beauty, it's the most human kind. Men and women sacrificing everything so that men and women elsewhere can found their own families, continuing the cycle onwards for the Imperium of Man, of rusting relics of a bygone era flying on wings of steam whilst the elite adorn themselves like South American birds! It takes creativity to not perish, and you can never erase the beauty of the human face for as long as it has eyes to see it - and the future of the 40k universe is often so bright, you don't even need your eyes to see it. Even Ogryns too carry the beauty of their souls, personality over appearances it seems, for you strip away baubles and trinkets of shiny gems to see the beauty that is humanity.

Doom is certain, guaranteed, by the oldest definition of destiny. There is no avoiding it (at most delayed), progress a delusion founded by those who take the view that there is a right side of history, that everything is on a progressing path to utopia - when it is a cyclic expanse of rise and fall, of ages that are winks in a grander cosmic war, whilst us as living thinking beings walk on to certain path to extinction. To diverge and bring a real world analogue to this fiction, it reminds me of old Saxon poems, how in old England they would make their hovels atop abandoned Roman ruins, ever cognizant that the end would come for them too - looking at the remains of an ancient advanced civilization that they inherited the corpse of. Or how the Buddha would tell you before he left Princedom, how of even the greatest mountain an end must soon come, as all things are impermanent. The world of 40k is like that, everything falling apart, held together by the duck tape of immeasurable sacrifice, all to keep the cogs turning. Mankind worships a God of stagnancy, one who is doomed to die, upon whom all efforts are wound - all for the hope of a few ten thousand more years of man, before the cosmic beings once more take their ascendancy from the War of Heaven or in a new age of Chaos.

There is no veneration of man's own arsehole, there is only veneration for the Emperor, humility the law of man in service to a God whose every waking moment is agony for being called such - a most reluctant God, who
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
But has to, because that's now his job. Maybe you'll be unlucky and before you can show your love for that special someone who'll make you part of a family, one more link in an innumerable chain of parents, you'll find your planet overrun with one of the apocalypses of the day. Maybe it came from within your government as a result of Tzeentchian cultists, or maybe the sun has been blotted out by mycetic spores, or light years away a cthonic death engine is harvesting your solar system.
In that case, you won't get to love much. You probably will be the end of your chain. You've been doing your job because you had to, and now it seems you have a new deadlier job that will ensure if you die, the buck stops with you, for even in death duty does not end. You couldn't choose to be born in the dark age of technology, couldn't choose to be born to paradise world elite, couldn't choose to be born on an angri-world family or the scrummiest siege world, but you can make your death give meaning to the lives of innumerable people in solar systems far away - if you choose to die standing.

Thus battle brothers, sisters of battle, guardsmen, militia, PDF, civilians, gangers and coppers, miners and bureaucrats, engineers and enginseers, all play their part to ensuing the song is sung just a little while longer - a few ten thousand more years, and we'll see how things are after then. By the light of the Emperor; even such light will one day give in to the void. Until then, there is Mankind.
I do like how even the Mechanicus, who replace all but the most vital of human components - our biological computer, are demonstrably human. The fucking nerds speaking in binary in the sekrit club, sperging over tech and dorito stained mechadendrites, one of the more heartwarming pieces I've read in 40k was a tech priest recommending his battle servitors for chapter honours for having done their bit with his last dying battery.

It is not that it is evil. It is that it is pointless. Were the Imperium to lose, nothing of value would be lost. It is only that the humans who are not subject to the entirety of it's weight might die, and the galaxy itself and all of the beings in it would perish to whichever threat was most dominant at the time.
Were the Imperium to lose, mankind dies. Everything of value would be lost.

The Imperium is not humanity. The Imperium is simply the majority of humans, stripped of their humanity. They are cogs in a machine, nothing more. There is no meaning to their existence. There is scarcely more in their death. It is survival and hatred and longing for a past that once was. It is not the humanity I love.
The Imperium is not humanity, humanity is trapped in the belly of this horrible machine, and the machine is dying. There is no way out, because if you break the machine, the maelstrom outside will flood the machine and kill everyone.
Thus humanity holds onto every last shred of humanity, every inch of ground given at terrible expense to those around it, in order to ensure each human chain continues for as long as possible, so that from the eyes of this terrible machine mankind can see the beautiful sunset before everything goes dark.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4872 on: July 12, 2016, 06:27:53 am »

BEWISKERED MENANCE.

The towering spires of Hive Cities and pristine halls of Shrine Worlds are our art, crude, cold but ours.
Towering baroque spires and pristine halls of the shrine worlds... Crude? You aren't one of those fancy Eldar are you? :P
Eh, I belive his idea of art is some kind of art like paintings, songs, non-propaganda movies or not-opressive-as-fuck non-brutalist/non-gothic buildings (which I am fucking fan of, to be honest, go huge gothic cathedrals in space or go home). It's not like Imperium doesn't have those (it has, one of major points of Fulgrim book was him fucking up everything artistic and then having orgies and enjoying a painting made out of shit, blood and whatever because >Slannesh so sophisticated hipster you just don't understand), I just don't feel like trying to find this because he will totally say that Tau katanas are work of art or something.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: July 12, 2016, 06:40:25 am »

How closely does Slaanesh resemble The King of the Moon from The Adventures of Baron Munchausen?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4874 on: July 12, 2016, 06:41:14 am »

Aren't there some humies on Gorkamorka doing just that? They got the protection of necrons for some unknown reason, avoiding immediate krumping, but from there on they started copying Orks more and more until they occupied some niche near mekboy/slave, below orkboyz and above gretchin

Eh, I belive his idea of art is some kind of art like paintings, songs, non-propaganda movies or not-opressive-as-fuck non-brutalist/non-gothic buildings (which I am fucking fan of, to be honest, go huge gothic cathedrals in space or go home).
Gothic is dank as fuck, up there with Romanaboo Victorian imo

It's not like Imperium doesn't have those (it has, one of major points of Fulgrim book was him fucking up everything artistic and then having orgies and enjoying a painting made out of shit, blood and whatever because >Slannesh so sophisticated hipster you just don't understand)
I think Fulgrim emulates the evolution of art in its cycles
Like how the Greeks tried portraying the most realistic essence of mankind, but as their skill improved this became more easily done so they switched to making perfect embodiments of man - the gods. Then they got bored of that and started making really fucked up shit / waifus. Cue to modern day where we had the same shit, a run up to epic realism of dankest proportion, then impressionism, then 2deep4u, then 3deep5u bodily fluids on canvas "art"
Then 40k is just the same, with perfectionists like Fulgrim setting out a path for another 10,000 years of that cycle, wherein perfectionists perfect their skill until they start having to go 2deep4u because they're really bored with realism leading up to human sculptures from fabulous bile
I also like how 40k, their painters, photographers and journalists are called remembrancers

Everything based around capturing the beauty of the moment before it all disappears

I just don't feel like trying to find this because he will totally say that Tau katanas are work of art or something.
gorrillion folded tau plasteel cut through AV14 baneblades in half, commit sudoku imperial scum
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 824