Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971242 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: You are what you eat, so eat your greens.
« Reply #5835 on: August 22, 2016, 09:57:17 am »

Mathematically, mega-damage equals fuck everything in 40k ever.  The process to arrive at that decision took like twenty pages of math, and I lost it during a move around ten years ago.  It breaks down to every single mega-damage weapon being a strength 10 (probably strength d now but I don't have the time to redo the equations) weapon with AP 1 (tho' AP 0 would probably describe it better).  This also has the side effect of making every single piece of MD armor have a 2 up invulnerable save.

A GB could blast anything less than an Imperator Titan to shrapnel long before the lumbering pieces of junk could reach it (and could tank every weapon shot, GBs have stupid amounts of armor).  A Juggernaut hovertank (RIFTS Mercenaries) could probably wipe whole armies in moments.

Also RPGeek:  RIFTS tech less insane than 40K?   I don't think you have the slightest clue what you are talking about.  A CS grunt in basic (pre-war campaign) body armor is harder to kill than a Terminator and carries vastly heavier weapons.  GB armor is a molecularly bonded alloy capable of tanking a direct strike from a nuclear weapon, not 'mostly chrome'.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 10:11:50 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5836 on: August 22, 2016, 10:27:43 am »

Rifts, please. If you really want to fuck 40k up, you want Strike Legion.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5837 on: August 22, 2016, 10:31:04 am »

You really want to fuck 40K up, anything by Alistair Reynolds.  Soliton weaponry with multiple light-year ranges anyone?

How about Larry Niven?  I'd love to see anything 40k stand up to a Slaver.

I'm not really trying to start a 40k vs. everything argument here.  RPGeek said something that isn't supported by the math, I was correcting it, that is all.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 10:41:29 am by NullForceOmega »

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5838 on: August 22, 2016, 11:26:39 am »

Rifts sort of runs on nonsensium rule of cool gameplay.

Lets just put it this way... With the barest of armors I could survive several nuclear explosions using Rift rules :P

Though it is funny to see things need to be SUPER DUPER upgraded beyond belief in order to survive in the Rift Universe. Dragons with claws that deal 40 megadamage.

For reference 40 megadamage? Yeah... that is like having claws made out of Adamantium and lightsabers... combined with explosions.

All this without REALLY changing dragons up to sort of account for the power boost. They are just sort of more powerful. (I think they do explain it some in that dragons feed on the rift itself)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 11:33:18 am by Neonivek »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5839 on: August 22, 2016, 11:29:44 am »

At which point I guess if everyone is overpowered, nobody is.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5840 on: August 22, 2016, 11:37:20 am »

Eh, there's really no sense comparing those things. Wh40k is often branded as "the most overpowered universe with most stronkest stuff and Imperium is the stronkest of all", but really only when compared to "questionably-still-mostly-realistic" universes (say, Battle Trek Wars). I mean, Warhammer still tries to be at least somewhat logical, provides quasi-scientific explanations of stuff and the "Phlebotinum" more often than not abides the set rules.

And while I have no actual idea what Rifts, but it sounds like it fucks any suspense of disbelief sideways.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5841 on: August 22, 2016, 11:41:24 am »

Well... outside sheer numbers Star Trek has a higher level of technology, weaponry, and shields.

Warhammer isn't so much "Overpowered" as it is vast and "EXTREME"

And while I have no actual idea what Rifts, but it sounds like it fucks any suspense of disbelief sideways.

It has more to do that the technology in Rifts has advanced to the point where things have started to sort of break down. A ordinary pistol in Rifts could take down aircraft carriers in 1 maybe 2 shots.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5842 on: August 22, 2016, 11:45:34 am »

40ks only real advantage in most setting vs matches is Warp stuff really. Not a whole lot anyone else can do about Warp Storms eating all their planets, or sorcerous rites turning their vehicles into man eating monsters that breathe fire and shoot soul stealing gatling guns, or their own dead lurching back to life and turning on them.

Tech-wise 40k isn't really all that great, at least not the humans.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5843 on: August 22, 2016, 11:56:38 am »

Should I take out my time-warping black-hole shooting super-intelligent AI spaceship again?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5844 on: August 22, 2016, 11:58:39 am »

Should I take out my time-warping black-hole shooting super-intelligent AI spaceship again?
You mean the extreme outlier that looks more like a C'Tan made it than anything human?
Cough void dragon cough
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5845 on: August 22, 2016, 12:02:37 pm »

Eh, it is implied that every Ark Mechanicus (at least the old ones) is like that to some extent, so there is at least two of them. :P
And no, they weren't made by C'Tan or Void Dragon, since they're actually the thing Mechanicus are looking for - complete, self-updating STCs in ship form. They represent the peak of Human technology, which really looks like it was way more advanced than even Old Ones/Necron stuff.

EDIT:
I just noticed I haven't actually posted this:
Well... outside sheer numbers Star Trek has a higher level of technology, weaponry, and shields.

Warhammer isn't so much "Overpowered" as it is vast and "EXTREME"
As for Imperium, sure, Star Trek proably has better tech (except for weaponry, I am not exactly sure). As for others... I am convinced that Necrons would genocide Star Trek and cackle mechanically whille doing so.

It has more to do that the technology in Rifts has advanced to the point where things have started to sort of break down. A ordinary pistol in Rifts could take down aircraft carriers in 1 maybe 2 shots.
I am pretty sure that no technology is or ever will be possible that allows to take down an aircraft carrier that fits in a pistol-sized package. It can't even be rationally handwaved, really, unless said pistol is just a remote detonator for ridiculous amounts of explosives inside the carrier or something.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 12:04:09 pm by Kot »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5846 on: August 22, 2016, 12:37:21 pm »

Said laser pistol only actually inflicts about as much damage as a decent sized high-explosive missile.  A pistol would need significantly more than one or two shots to kill an aircraft carrier in RIFTS, but a decent squad weapon would melt through the ships hull in a single burn.  A RIFTS tank (or a GB) would flat out blast a hole several meters across clear through the ship.  It would be difficult to claim that such weapons are disbelief shattering in a setting where augmented humans dodge rail gun rounds moving at mach 5-8, literal gods walk the earth and are gunned down under the massed fire of advanced armies, and player characters can be in possession of enough firepower to individually qualify as WMDs.

RIFTS is all overpowered all the time (with varying degrees of OP), magic is actually really, really, weak in the RIFTS portion of the Palladium Megaverse however, as even a spell of legend that takes several minutes to cast and can inflict several hundred MD is barely an inconvenience to anything that would be considered 'heavy' (possessing more than 1000 MDC.)

As to your black hole discharging AI warship?  Rifts already has those, they aren't even considered on the high-end of spaceborn fuckery.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 12:41:30 pm by NullForceOmega »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5847 on: August 22, 2016, 12:39:59 pm »

Said laser pistol only actually inflicts about as much damage as a decent sized high-explosive missile

1d6 where a nuclear bomb is a 5

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5848 on: August 22, 2016, 12:58:37 pm »

Chozo tech best tech
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5849 on: August 22, 2016, 01:04:17 pm »

Mind you I should say

Nuclear bombs, at least the modern kind, are old never used tech in Rifts because it doesn't do Megadamage (It just does so much normal damage it can do mega damage.)

You would probably want a Rifts nuke, which is like a normal nuke except it does mega damage.

So basically if you had a pistol in Rifts you could take down Warhammer Titans in like... MAYBE a minute at best... Probably faster.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 01:06:49 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 824