Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965208 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K thread: wait, 40K has religious overtones?! THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!
« Reply #6900 on: October 04, 2016, 08:07:44 pm »

Generally a tank commissar is there to 'blam' the crew.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6901 on: October 04, 2016, 08:09:02 pm »

Frankly the imperials should have just given Chaos Hostess Fruit Pies...

Would have won the war a loooong time ago.

(OK I FREEKEN swear there must be a Warhammer 40k Twinkie/Fruitpie comic!)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6902 on: October 04, 2016, 08:35:31 pm »

We're the Death Korp of Krieg, son. Did you think that was just a pretty name? We never retreat. We fight and we die, that's the Krieg way.
Ahh yess, The Death Korps of Krieg. The only regiment where Commissars are more likely to get shoot for cowardice than Guardsmen.
I always heard this phrased as "the only regiment where the Commissars job is is to restrain the troops from running towards the enemy, rather than away.

Presumably, Death Korps Commissars hold the threat of peaceful retirement over their troops' heads instead of guns.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6903 on: October 04, 2016, 09:54:24 pm »

*BLAM*
No.

this effort to perfect blamming and excessively purge sounds a lot like slaaneshi worship to me ..

~*tiny blam*
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6904 on: October 05, 2016, 12:26:29 am »

The Pantheon existed before the Emperor and it didn't suddenly change the moment he woke up.
It's quite possible the Khorne, Nurgle, and Tzeentch didn't exist until after the Emperor had been born and Slaanesh DEFINITELY hadn't been born until long after the Emperor could be considered old. The first three didn't gain sentience until around the middle ages (the Emperor was around 9k years old at that point) but they may or may not have existed before then, just without sentience. Slaanesh, on the other hand, didn't even begin forming until the Age of Strife hit (which hit because Slaanesh started forming). The Emperor would've been over 30k years old by that point.

And the Emperor, essentially a max level multi-disciplinary wizard to put it in D&D terms, figured out how to parlay with them and cheated some of their power away from them.
Damn it, and you were doing so well in your assertion that the Emperor wasn't a god! No, the Emperor didn't steal shit from the Chaos Gods. The Emperor is so powerful because he was made up of tens of thousands of psykers each with more experience and knowledge of the Warp than Eldrad and then spent the next few tens of thousands of years training and increasing his powers to exponentially greater heights.

The worst thing people do regarding the Emperor is try to explain away his awesomeness by saying he's a god or that he's only so powerful because he stole from Chaos.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6905 on: October 05, 2016, 03:01:33 am »

Notably the Commissars attached to the Death Korps are supposed to tell them to retreat rather than stop them from doing so, as Kriegsmen have a tendency to throw their lives away inefficiently when left unsupervised.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6906 on: October 05, 2016, 03:07:22 am »

Nah. Emperor is old, powerful and awesome but the fact that he stole from Chaos Gods makes him doubly awesome. Chaos Gods in direct Warp combat are proably still more powerful than The Emperor, as they're pure Warp beings, especially all four combined, yet the Emperor went onto their ground and beaten them and went away with their power whilist laughing gloriously. He's was amazing before and after that he only proved he's amazing and rekt Chaos Gods.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6907 on: October 05, 2016, 03:25:01 pm »

Are there any prices ever mentioned in thrones? Like loaf of bread or something like that.
How many thrones/thrones worth stuff will have somewhat mediocre rogue trader overall?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6908 on: October 05, 2016, 03:29:22 pm »

I rather like the space hitler interpretation of the emp.

True, its called space hitler but space augustus or just space Caesar is probably more accurate.

But that mary sue view on him is weak, because he is a reflection of humanity itself.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6909 on: October 05, 2016, 03:50:21 pm »

Are there any prices ever mentioned in thrones? Like loaf of bread or something like that.
How many thrones/thrones worth stuff will have somewhat mediocre rogue trader overall?
A lot.

Dark Heresy 1e has the 'drudging classes' - manufactorum workers, field hands, etc - make 30 thrones a month.
A standard knife costs 5.
Low grade provisions costs a throne for a meal.
Shitty accomodation costs five thrones a night,.

Nobles in DH have a base monthly income of 500 thrones.
In RT, you quite sensibly don't have money as such - just some items are harder to obtain and keep stocked than others, since RTs have so much money and influence.

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6910 on: October 05, 2016, 06:07:08 pm »

I kinda think that the purchasing power of a single throne would vary greatly depending on where you're at. It's probably impossible to maintain a stable currency across millions of planets with varying levels of connection to each other and the rest of the Imperium as whole.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6911 on: October 05, 2016, 06:45:26 pm »

DH makes it pretty clear though that Thrones are an abstraction and combination of various local currencies done for simplicity's sake. FWIW Thrones rarely if ever come up in the fiction.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6912 on: October 05, 2016, 06:50:43 pm »

I maintain the idea that the Imperium has desperate planetary cultures but also a unitary "galactic culture", which is where thrones come in.

It's like an exaggerated version of the international cosmopolitanism you see from people in cities the world over, even when some of those cities are in countries with very, very different rural cultures.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6913 on: October 05, 2016, 10:52:53 pm »

I maintain the idea that the Imperium has desperate planetary cultures but also a unitary "galactic culture", which is where thrones come in.

It's like an exaggerated version of the international cosmopolitanism you see from people in cities the world over, even when some of those cities are in countries with very, very different rural cultures.

Im pretty sure thats the canon answer.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6914 on: October 05, 2016, 11:00:42 pm »

The word you're thinking of is "disparate", but "desperate" applies equally well given the setting.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 824