Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965315 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K thread: from the Warp it cameth forth: Plot Advancement.
« Reply #8370 on: February 16, 2017, 12:30:41 pm »

Obviously humans are tyranid creations tho.
Who, in turn, are a product of ork science.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #8371 on: February 16, 2017, 12:33:34 pm »

And humans went back in time and made Old Ones.
This is how it happened. Canon.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8372 on: February 16, 2017, 12:43:52 pm »

And humans went back in time and made Old Ones.
This is how it happened. Canon.
Finally, we learn what happened to Ordo Chronos.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8373 on: February 16, 2017, 01:46:20 pm »

There is this oldcanon thing about how Necrons made Humans, but it gets people riled up for whatever reason. Tau might be Necron creation too.
I remembered that as necrons meddled with humans, which is where Pariahs came from, but didn't create them.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #8374 on: February 16, 2017, 01:52:49 pm »

I belive it was something about how they wanted to create their own race, like Old Ones, but went into hiding midway so only real impact they had was basic form and the Pariahs.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8375 on: February 16, 2017, 02:15:19 pm »

At the time period the Oldcron meddling was supposed to have happened (sometime around the Cretacious) mankind's ancestors were tree dwelling shrew like creatures that ate bugs and dinosaur eggs. Supposedly the Necrons shoved the Pariah gene in them to serve as a future bioweapon, which is an incredibly stupid plan in the first place considering how long it would take to get an actual usable creature out of it so why bother when you're in the middle of the war that you want to use them in and won't get them until long after the war ends.

It's one of the dumber things about the Oldcrons that I'm glad got retconned away. I actually much prefer their new stance on biology, with some of them experimenting to try and turn Necrons back into living beings rather than the other way around.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8376 on: February 16, 2017, 03:57:41 pm »

They could have just used the small furry creatures as portable anti-magic fields. Like in Star Wars. :P
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8377 on: February 16, 2017, 04:12:29 pm »

I like the idea of necrons making people.

Think about the meta for a second.

- Old ones made things.
- Imperiums makes modifications to things but mostly its just modifying things to be servitors or superhuman assholes pricks warriors.
- Tyrannids are making new substrains but its arguable if they are making new species.  I guess they could be since there are pretty strong hints that the individual strains are viable if left on their own.
- Eldar are too prissy to do anything but maybe making ethereals (which I dont buy)
- Orks fart shit out but meh.

so really, all the species actively avoid making genetic mods.  Even the SMs are Emp's doing.  The bio-engineered soldiersof 30k im not sure where they came from.  The gene-bred workers and such Im not sure where they came from.  Ogyrms et al are all 'accidental' Mendelian results; no different than how a cow or chicken was domesticated and gene-altere.

So yea.  The idea that the necrons only made metallic improvements is silly, especially considering the general backstory for them that I do know.  I would have thought it would be fairly easy to gene-splice up some proto-necrons that dont have the defects of the main species.  ie: humans.  Its a stretch, but not that much.  Tau kind of?  meh.  Maybe necrons are really tau that were extra crispy.

But to jump right to metal bodies and skip completely over gene-tech when your entire life revolves around faulty genes is silly.  I dont care how thematic your faction is, or how dualist the ancient creation myth of the lore is.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8378 on: February 16, 2017, 04:50:49 pm »

I'm actually curious to see whether the Time of Ending actually ends with... well, an end.
And then GW goes 'Now we've managed to finish the storyline, let's go back and flesh out the huge gaps in the last 10,000 years.'
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 07:08:32 pm by Kot »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #8381 on: February 16, 2017, 07:07:33 pm »

Shhhh.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8382 on: February 16, 2017, 07:59:51 pm »

At the time period the Oldcron meddling was supposed to have happened (sometime around the Cretacious) mankind's ancestors were tree dwelling shrew like creatures that ate bugs and dinosaur eggs. Supposedly the Necrons shoved the Pariah gene in them to serve as a future bioweapon, which is an incredibly stupid plan in the first place considering how long it would take to get an actual usable creature out of it so why bother when you're in the middle of the war that you want to use them in and won't get them until long after the war ends.
It's one of the dumber things about the Oldcrons that I'm glad got retconned away. I actually much prefer their new stance on biology, with some of them experimenting to try and turn Necrons back into living beings rather than the other way around.
Nah, it made sense in oldcron fluff and retconning it away didn't really then explain why pariahs were still around, which was a step back in fluff :<

The C'Tan won the war, GG, Empyrean is fucked and souls are all being harvested. Despite winning the war, their objective to gain total dominance over the milky way kinda got fucked with the advent of the warp turning into the warp everyone in 40k knows and loves, ending up killing the same food source the C'Tan needed to survive. The C'Tan and their Necrons were playing the long game, where they had to wait a loooooooooooooooooooooong time to deploy weapons that would deliver final victory versus the warp. Sleepy crons operate on another strategic timeframe entirely, eternity is not an abstract concept to the material gods, and millions of years is barely anything and is pretty much their modus operandi. Build pylons, tombs and warships that will only be used much, much later, when the time is right to harvest once more

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8383 on: February 19, 2017, 05:19:22 pm »

Was reading through the fluff in my genestealer codex again, and I was reminded how much I love the two xeno-cult incidents described in the book.

One is a cult that formed on an ork world and is first encountered when an Imperial Guard armoured regiment takes on and wreck a gargant with four arms, which then spills out a horde of ork-hybrids that proceed to claw open the guard vehicles and slaughter everybody and then fight both the remaining guard and the normal orks.

The other is when the tau first met a genestealer they locked it up for research purposes. After a while they decided to put some of it's geneseed into an earth caste, then spent a while studying the resulting hybrids. Unsurprisingly the research facility wound up basically all becoming part of a genestealer cult and the ensuing fight to retake the place took several years, and even then it's strongly implied the cult is actually still there. Tau, the only species dumb enough to self infect with genestealer infections. If they ever find out how to bind daemons into people I foresee them doing it en masse out of vague curiosity.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8384 on: February 19, 2017, 05:31:28 pm »

Given the whole caste thing, I'm not surprised at all the Tau would fail to understand the greater hivemind implication and perceive genestealers as a revolutionary advance in genetic engineering.

As supported by their genestealer colleagues, of course. I wonder what the "tell" is for Tau-Hybrids, like baldness and the forehead patch is for Human-Hybrids.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 824