Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 568 569 [570] 571 572 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965313 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K thread: from the Warp it cameth forth: Plot Advancement.
« Reply #8535 on: March 20, 2017, 09:24:43 pm »

My brother, who doesn't know WH40k barely at all:  "The demon from Legend took a patriotic turn for the fabulous"

And Magnus shall forevermore have Tim Curry's voice in my headcanon.  :D

Why does he have horny nipples... Like seriously Mangus, this is why the other Primarchs picked on you...

It's a John Blanche thing, he made a ton of the art that set the tone for the wider setting, including this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That is the original art for human Magnus, from the 80s. The Daemon Magnus model and his FW human one are very faithful translations of this original concept into miniature form.

Magnus is, generally speaking, supposed to be a Babylonian god of war and magic. A towering behemoth clad in baroque war plate from an age when gods clashed with mighty heroes translated into a sci-fantasy setting. He's supposed to look like some kind of barbarian warrior, like an over the top metal album Conan rip off but with laser guns and chainsaws. A grim tyrant of a reality in which individual men wore clothing and armour more valuable than the wealth of an entire world, and bestrode the human race like colossi.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8536 on: March 20, 2017, 10:26:43 pm »

I don't know if it's the camera, but his muscle definition isn't popping as much as I'd expect.
Those wings are blowing my mind though. Is that a drybrush pattern?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8537 on: March 21, 2017, 08:40:11 am »

I don't know if it's the camera, but his muscle definition isn't popping as much as I'd expect.
Those wings are blowing my mind though. Is that a drybrush pattern?

It's partly the camera, the lighting in particular. I really need to get a proper set up for photos, but I can never be bothered to go buy tissue paper and find an appropriate sized box to make a photo booth. I tried backlighting him with my lamp and then using flash photography to brighten the front, but it just made it look washed out and fuzzy.

But the way I painted him also doesn't make his muscles that distinct. I only used three separate layers of red to paint his skin, base of Khorne Red washed with Carroburg Crimson to define the recesses a bit, then a gentle layer of more Khorne Red on the raised surfaces like his skin wrinkles and muscles, then a little highlight of Evil Sunz Scarlet on his brow ridges, nose, lips and neck to make his face pop a bit better. There's no really much of a difference between the recesses of his flesh and the upper surfaces, I feel it looks more natural than when skin gets heavy shading and winds up with the spaces between ordinary human muscles being a totally different colour than the skin on the raised areas.

His wings are done in a style I first did with some Tyranid and Tzaangor models and which I took a fondness to. I paint the wings/'nid carapace in Kantor Blue, which is very dull and dark, then drybrush around the edges and over a lot of the surface with Teclis Blue, which is a nice bright colour by contrast, then a much lighter and smaller drybrush of Lothern Blue, then smooth it all in so it looks more natural with a thin coat of Guilliman Blue glaze. I really life the way it turns out, I think it looks like a very natural blue for feathers.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8538 on: March 21, 2017, 09:54:11 am »

It's amazing. I'm definitely stealing that technique.

I feel it looks more natural than when skin gets heavy shading and winds up with the spaces between ordinary human muscles being a totally different colour than the skin on the raised areas.
"Dis Bro... He say he doesn't ink"

"Is K my bros. no tru son of the inkperor would be entering battle without the shiniest of biceps and orangest of basecoats
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8539 on: March 22, 2017, 06:05:39 am »

So i watched some Skirmish Battles for Dawn of War 3 to see actual gameplay and not what the devs want to show us.
What i can gather from all of this:

Squad Sizes are still what they were in Dawn of War 2 so your armies are not particularly bigger than before.

Energy and Requisition and Heroe Points all come from the same capture points. Some only have one type of Resources, others have all three. There is much less points than in Dawn of War 1 for example. Combined that means that if you are pushed back you can't recover, because you might not have access to one or another type of resources, restricting you massively.

Cover-System has been thrown out...which is a big no-no in my opinion since that was the only thing i liked about DoW2.

Heroes are army killers and essential to the Game. So if you liked it better in Dow 1 where you could deploy your heroes and they were useful and all but not army-smashing behemoths around which you had to focus your tactics and strategy, i have bad news for you: Heroes smash whatever force you throw at them, they are ridiculously oversized (aka force commander is four times the size of normal marines) and you have to micromanage them Heroes of the Storm style, with skillshots and abilities which need to be carefully aimed and all that jism.

Early Game seems extremely slow now after i watched a second game with orks....resources accumulate terribly slowly.

Might be just be the video but graphics are horribly blurry.

Waaghbanners are amusing, apparently you can activate them to give your units some kind of permanent waaagh-bonus, at which point a metal song plays with the orks screaming WAAAAGH over it.

Force Limit is at 250, looking at squad sizes and all, if you throw out all the gretchins and vehicles you get a grand total of 250 orks on the field. That is if you go complete infantry horde. More realistically we are looking at 150 if you really hit the pop limit (which doesnt seem to be easy with the slow resource trickle)

Mission Objective is: destroy two shield generators, destroy two defensive cannons, destroy enemy power core. Now if you can figure out from what kind of game this might be copied you can figure out how the overall feel of the game is like. Yep It's Heroes of the Storm only you also control the usually automatic pawns on top of your heroes.

Bottom Line or tl;dr:

They looked at Dow1 and Dow2 asked themselves what people liked about it and threw it out, then added what people liked about Heroes of the Storm and similiar games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpcxKWnnP88
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQKMxKz2J7k

There you go above are the vids.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8540 on: March 22, 2017, 06:22:15 am »

That's not a crazy sparkling recommendation... I don't like having to micromanage heroes and units at the same time. It was much easier when I could just "attatch" and not my problem

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8541 on: March 22, 2017, 10:54:36 am »

Well that sounds like complete ass.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8542 on: March 22, 2017, 11:18:48 am »

That's a fucking shame. They could have gone the other way, expanded the game into greatness, more strategy, more tactics.m, integration with Battlefleet Gothic Armada, strategic maps, bigger, better, meaner.
They took instead the way of the spineless, nickle grabber cowards, hunched over the scraps of other games, selling the essence and spirit of the game for a few bucks.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8543 on: March 22, 2017, 04:03:59 pm »

That's a fucking shame. They could have gone the other way, expanded the game into greatness, more strategy, more tactics.m, integration with Battlefleet Gothic Armada, strategic maps, bigger, better, meaner.
They took instead the way of the spineless, nickle grabber cowards, hunched over the scraps of other games, selling the essence and spirit of the game for a few bucks.
Or they just made a bad game. You can still make those without it being a result of selling out.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8544 on: March 22, 2017, 04:59:37 pm »

Or they just made a bad game. You can still make those without it being a result of selling out.

Considering DoW 1 --> 2 felt like a bit of a sell out, this leans way more toward being a sellout. Especially after Relic was scooped up by Sega who has a different vision of what makes games sell than THQ.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8545 on: March 22, 2017, 05:10:24 pm »

pisskop frowns upon the idea that heroes should be so special they get to kick the asses of all the normal genetically enhanced badasses who are bred and trained from puberty to murderdeathkill.  While not wearing helmets.

Its a side effect of having linear hps, but worse its a over-expression of people's desire to see an army of rambos running around, and insert themselves into it.  part of what makes a hero a fuggin' hero is their weaknesses and how they are, ultimately, like those of their own kind.  Either in biology or spirit or whathaveyou.

Part of what turns me off, waaay off, about 40K is how godawful damn special the named characters are.  How status quo is the byword, how magically gifted by the mandate from heaven fate and heredity everything is, and how dumbly strong primarches and even demons are.

Truth be told, I like playing the weak and taking on the strong.  Because I am a brute at heart, and Im not the biggest, but I have perseverance and focused strength and intellect.  Humanity Fuck Yea.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 05:13:45 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8546 on: March 22, 2017, 05:24:44 pm »

It's not exactly subtle that 40k's themes are very romanticist, and that comes joined at the hip with great men and hero power.

Though you can do that with the weak too, see Ollanius Pius.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #8547 on: March 22, 2017, 05:37:26 pm »

Tbh, it isin't actually that bad in universe, except in cases of stuff like Ultramarines (I, CATO SICARIUS) and Grey Knights, but we know who we can blame them on. Heroes have quite limited power levels (example - any IG hero. Even the most ridiculous, like Yarrick, have their strenghts somehow explained (in case of Yarrick, he's an extension of Waagh effect - he was so badass kicking Greenskin ass that they started to literally believe he can't be killed), and for longest time Primarches were song of the past and still there's a good bunch of things that could take them on.

As for Game heroes... I honestly wish if they weren't actually linerally way better than regular units, just have special abilities that make them stronk.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8548 on: March 22, 2017, 05:40:17 pm »

What has always made 40k special to me is its scope. That's what first got me to notice it back at the ye olde physical gaming store, is seeing 6 people with 2,000 points covering the table and how intricate it all looked. Envisioning a melee brawl between 100,000 combatants.

What has never made me love 40k is the special characters. Especially in the fiction, where every fucking notable space marine sounds the same unless they're Space Wolf or White Scar. Or on the Imperial side, Commissars, who at least have personalities but still all fall into the same mold. Individuals are not special in the 41st millennium, that's a basic tenet of the fiction. Yarrick may be one of the few exceptions to this in modern 40k.

"Hero Hammer" as it's been called is a thing, but when people interpret Hero Hammer too literally it's when the games start to suck. I hated DoW2 for its overemphasis on hero units, and the rest of your squads were basically there for micro when your hero's abilities were on cooldown. Worked for the campaign just fine, but for skirmishes and MP it was balls. The entire field of guys fighting in the same spot while your heroes just shoot "don't stand in the flames" attacks at each other.

And now it appears they're just doubling down on it. If that's the SP, I feel pretty confident in assuming MP is literally a goddamn MOBA.

So fuck Relic and fuck DoW3. I'm done giving them money for shit I don't want.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 05:42:42 pm by nenjin »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8549 on: March 22, 2017, 06:34:38 pm »

A MOBA where you have to micromanage the creeps, what an amazing innovation. :P
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.
Pages: 1 ... 568 569 [570] 571 572 ... 824