Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971286 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K thread: from the Warp it cameth forth: Plot Advancement.
« Reply #8580 on: April 08, 2017, 05:06:43 pm »

Emperor of the Fading Suns... ahh if a game ever needed a remake it was this. A 40k mod would be easy to acomplish. A few images, baners and renaming and there you go.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8581 on: April 08, 2017, 11:14:01 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRrxSCIT-xc

Actually this manowar corsair thing is still not dead.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8582 on: April 09, 2017, 06:37:55 am »

Bah, they should have included naval battles in Total Warhammer instead.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8583 on: April 09, 2017, 01:21:28 pm »

Oh yeah, shadow war: Armageddon came out, all the terrain is modular, and it's one of the best things to happen to me.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8584 on: April 09, 2017, 01:40:56 pm »

Flying units would screw naval battles way too hard.

Imagine trying to do some simple ship to ship combat as the Empire only for the entire enemy army to turn out to be vargheists, bats, terrorgheists and a vampire lord on a dragon.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8585 on: April 09, 2017, 01:59:03 pm »

Pillbox AA! Go empire!

Continuing on how awesome Necromunda II is, I've just begun playing with my group of friends. We so far have a Nid warriors player, an Orcs player, and I'm the only stand n' shooty with guard.

Have to say though, Heavy Flamers being Guard-only, D3 wounds and AP -3 is very, very messed up and also delicious.
Managed to get a huge area of denial on the objective and melted the face of a particularly impatient nid as it charged me.
Delicious fried Nid.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8586 on: April 09, 2017, 02:02:18 pm »

Imagine trying to do some simple ship to ship combat as the Empire only for the entire enemy army to turn out to be vargheists, bats, terrorgheists and a vampire lord on a dragon.

Idk, that doesn't sound like more impossible to deal with then say, the same with siege battles. Imagine setting up for a simple walled city siege as the Empire only for the entire enemy army to turn out to be vargheists, bats, terrorgheists and a vampire lord on a dragon.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8587 on: April 09, 2017, 02:23:19 pm »

Idk, that doesn't sound like more impossible to deal with then say, the same with siege battles. Imagine setting up for a simple walled city siege as the Empire only for the entire enemy army to turn out to be vargheists, bats, terrorgheists and a vampire lord on a dragon.

I've been there, it makes actual ranged units less useful in a siege than good melee units and usually results in a stomp in favour of the Vampires. Boats would probably be even worse because you don't have towers involved the way sieges do, and may even have multiple boats with your army divided up between them, while the fliers just swoop in and pick them all off.

If they went the other direction and just made naval battles be purely ship vs ship they'd miss out on the fact that tons of units the various factions have would be taking part directly in such a fight.

If the VCs have a dragon mount, or a pack of vargheists in the hold, they aren't going to sit still and let the ships duke it out with cannons, they're going to fly out and destroy some ships.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8588 on: April 10, 2017, 10:14:36 am »

Reading Dante by Guy Haley right now.

It's nice because a) he's a way better writer than James Swallow and b) he's finally done a legit Blood Angels origin story. Been waiting for one for years. Everyone talks about the tribes of Baal and the nuclear wars of the past and the death race to reach the place of choosing and yadda yadda but no one had every really written a story around it.

It's not like, ultimate tier writing or anything. But I'm guess I'm just relieved someone else is writing Blood Angels besides James Swallow.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8589 on: April 10, 2017, 12:15:33 pm »

I've been there, it makes actual ranged units less useful in a siege than good melee units and usually results in a stomp in favour of the Vampires. Boats would probably be even worse because you don't have towers involved the way sieges do, and may even have multiple boats with your army divided up between them, while the fliers just swoop in and pick them all off.

If they went the other direction and just made naval battles be purely ship vs ship they'd miss out on the fact that tons of units the various factions have would be taking part directly in such a fight.

If the VCs have a dragon mount, or a pack of vargheists in the hold, they aren't going to sit still and let the ships duke it out with cannons, they're going to fly out and destroy some ships.
Then so be it. For one fighting in daylight could prove useful  (if WH vampires and vargheists and whatnot are vulnerable to it). On the other hand we already have a giant standing and picking up troops one by one instead if just walking and steeping them by the dozens. So is not like they can stretch the rules a bit an balance flying units for naval combat.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #8590 on: April 10, 2017, 01:01:56 pm »

Magics. Harpoons. Actually accurate siege weaponry. There could be so many creative ways to somewhat balance it out...
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8591 on: April 11, 2017, 02:17:38 am »

Did any of you read the rise of primarch yet?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8592 on: April 11, 2017, 12:48:00 pm »

It's nice because a) he's a way better writer than James Swallow and b) he's finally done a legit Blood Angels origin story. Been waiting for one for years. Everyone talks about the tribes of Baal and the nuclear wars of the past and the death race to reach the place of choosing and yadda yadda but no one had every really written a story around it.

It's not like, ultimate tier writing or anything. But I'm guess I'm just relieved someone else is writing Blood Angels besides James Swallow.

I just started reading Death of Integrity by Guy Haley and it's good. Got some Blood Drinkers in it and they feel bad-vampire-y.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8593 on: April 11, 2017, 02:26:40 pm »

I just started reading Death of Integrity by Guy Haley and it's good. Got some Blood Drinkers in it and they feel bad-vampire-y.

Death of Integrity
is pretty good. I'm not sure I like quite how he wrote the Blood Drinkers and them dealing with the Thirst/Rage, but it wasn't bad and seems better in Dante.

Really the best part of Death of Integrity to me is the space hulk. I found the idea of Terminators stalking through a space hulk literally full of radioactive fog to be metal as hell.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8594 on: April 22, 2017, 10:11:19 am »

Warhammer 8th ed FAQ

I mean, I still have yet to unclench everything after my initial instinctual reaction- but people seem hopeful for the future.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 10:13:04 am by Tack »
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 824