Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 576 577 [578] 579 580 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971804 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K thread: from the Warp it cameth forth: Plot Advancement.
« Reply #8655 on: April 26, 2017, 05:17:59 am »

Dow 3 is the dota rubish it's going to be thanks in no small part to the last stand. The feature got so popular amongst people they have now built a whole game around the concept.

They deviated from strategy (what little it was on the game) instead of delving more into it, and that's unforgettable by me.

PD. There are mods to fix Dark Cruzade/Soul Storm like FoK. God that mod rules so much.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 05:20:12 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8656 on: April 26, 2017, 05:21:04 am »

I swear their literal planning statement was 'We're going back to DoW 1. Massive battles!'
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #8657 on: April 26, 2017, 11:03:07 am »

"just as Left 4 Dead is nonsense."

"I hate nonsense."

But seriously, I think you guys are being a bit harsh. Lore-friendliness isnt all there is you know. Additionally, there have been multiple instances where very opposed parties collaborate. The Blood Angels and the Necrons, for example. There are also many times where the Imperium cooperates with things you'd think theyd be harshly opposed too, like the Legion of the Damned. Warhammer 40k has a universe of about 10,000 years, and many people are immortal. A lot can happen in 10,000 years. Weirder shit has been canonized.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 11:06:44 am by LordPorkins »
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8658 on: April 26, 2017, 11:23:16 am »

"I hate nonsense."

"I hate heresy"

-Lord Inquisitor Francis
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8659 on: April 26, 2017, 11:58:00 am »

Speaking of lore, GW posted something interesting in their community thingy.

Also this video. I am surprised they haven't rebranded it as Warhammer 41k.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 12:00:15 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8660 on: April 26, 2017, 12:11:29 pm »

It def looks like an appeal to new audiences.  That artwork, where have I seen it before?

I think DD may have had some artwork in that vein.  And Bronzemurdered.  Crypt of the necrodancer?

Notice any .... similarities to these games?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 12:13:15 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8661 on: April 26, 2017, 12:29:30 pm »

So I guess that's plot advancement according to GWS. Just drop another Warp storm across the greater half of the Imperium. Maybe they're bringing back the Ruinstorm along with Girlyman.

That artwork, where have I seen it before?

The style is very similar to the sector maps you see in the RPG books like Dark Heresy, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, Only War, etc...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 01:49:23 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8662 on: April 26, 2017, 08:23:46 pm »

and frankly other than The Last Stand, DoW is a downright bad series past the original incarnation.
Pff okay hold on.
So original Dawn of War is good - and I assume you mean Dark Crusade, probably discounting Soulstorm, because that's the normal stance and you were vague.  Maybe I'm wrong.
But then you specifically like The Last Stand!?
AKA take several "heroes" from VERY disparate factions and have them face off against countless hordes?
That doesn't seem lore-friendly whatsoever, from what I've seen.
It's cool nonsense, which is exactly why DoW2 is pretty great, at least in single player.

The Last Stand is still nonsense.  Just, very fun nonsense, just as Left 4 Dead is nonsense.
Nonsense can be fun.  But I don't get why you would attack DoW 2 and 3.  DoW 1 even has marines dying in ridiculous numbers, as expendable troops.
Edit:  Which is ridiculous, they are Space Marines, but DoW1 treats them as pretty close to imperial guard (particularly if the IG have grenade launchers, which send ASTARTES POWER ARMORED SPACE MARINES flying across the map, for massive stun)

Soulstorm is great, especially because it's the home of the indispensable Ultimate Apocalypse mod, which is really the ultimate DoW experience. I like the Last Stand cause it's actually pretty fun. There's something appropriately Grimdark about a bunch of random dudes fighting off waves of baddies with minimal support. It also doesn't try to be something it's not. Which is what DoW 2 as a whole does.

DoW 2 is just Space Marine central. All that game cares about is Space Marines, everything else is trash--and Space Marines are not really my favorite part of 40k (which I guess is surprsing to some) 40k for me is all about the IG, so understandably I like the games that appeal best to them. DoW3 while not being big enough in scope for my tastes (long time Ultimate Apocalypse player here), it just also doesn't fit the style for me. I haven't played, so I can't tear into it's gameplay too much other than from what I've seen, but just from watching it I can tel you it's not grimdark enough. It just feels like generic-brand 40k to look at, and while if it wasn't a 40k title, I might even be tempted to admit it looks GOOD, it still doesn't capture what 40k looks like in my head.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8663 on: April 26, 2017, 11:06:06 pm »

it still doesn't capture what 40k looks like in my head.
Nothing will ever look like it does in your head, not even something you made yourself.  You want massive 40k battles and will to some extent dislike anything that isn't that. Except that all 3 dows are about medium to small skirmishes. Sure, you can change that with mods, but you shouldn't judge a sequel based on a massive overhaul made for a previous entry.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8664 on: April 26, 2017, 11:28:38 pm »

We've been waiting for 40k to get the Supreme Commander treatment. With Total War showing that it can do GWS styling in large battles, maybe 40k Total War isn't that far behind after WHTW2.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8665 on: April 27, 2017, 12:01:00 am »

Maybe we'll get a sequel to Dawn of War. It's been ages and they haven't even dropped hints that there's a Dawn of War 2 coming.

So I guess that's plot advancement according to GWS. Just drop another Warp storm across the greater half of the Imperium. Maybe they're bringing back the Ruinstorm along with Girlyman.

Looks like the Eldar had another party   ;)
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #8666 on: April 27, 2017, 12:07:09 am »

What I have been waiting for is Men Of War style WH40k game as opposed to CoH style DoW. Praise the Emperor there are mods for that now.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8667 on: April 27, 2017, 07:58:12 am »

What I have been waiting for is Men Of War style WH40k game as opposed to CoH style DoW. Praise the Emperor there are mods for that now.
> direct control guardsman
> pick up heretical bolter
> blast apart heretics with heretical bolter

much men of war

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #8668 on: April 27, 2017, 10:02:18 am »

I always dreamt of the WH40k stuff once I realized you can actually carry (due to a bug, it's actually never supposed to come off the pintle mount or the tripod) around an DShK that removes lighter armoured vehicles and literally tears down walls. Reskin, and you have an heavy bolter.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8669 on: April 27, 2017, 10:54:50 am »

Welp, DoW3 is out and it looks like tra-a-a-a-ash.

@Teneb, what I see in my head is pretty obviously possible as Ultimate Apocalypse really isn't that big a leap forward, they've added some stuff, but essentially just rebalanced and increased the scale. Other stuff is totally new, but frankly, if a mod team can do it--a dev team should be doubly capable. So in fact, I can and will judge new installments of DoW based on the Ultimate DoW experience. DoW3 is a pretty poor incarnation that takes the series in a direction that is just bleh.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 576 577 [578] 579 580 ... 824