Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 593 594 [595] 596 597 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965267 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: WH40K thread: No Such Thing As A Free Bolter, But Heresy's Everywhere!
« Reply #8910 on: May 23, 2017, 05:19:37 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The fuck does he have a Service Stud for? While I am not exactly aware of the specific Ultramarine style, according to CODEX ASTRATES, each stud, depending on make, is 10, 50, or 100 years of experience.
WHICH MEANS THIS DUDE APPARENTLY HAS /AT LEAST/ 10 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE? How long has Girlyman been hiding the UltraUltramarines from us?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8911 on: May 23, 2017, 05:25:59 pm »

The running theory I've seen bandied about is that P-Marines can be made from normal ones in addition to being made from scratch, so it's probably just an uplifted marine rather than one fresh out the manufacturing process.

Really GW probably just wanted people to have studs available for them, since some people will want to play games set in the decades after Cadia fell rather than immediately following it.

Speaking of which, we still don't know the exact date the setting is getting bumped forward to.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8912 on: May 23, 2017, 05:39:06 pm »

It's been the eve of the Apocalypse forever, M40.999. Or a year or two short of it. Seems they have to cross that barrier now, too much shit is happening that would have effected a lot of lore happening right around the turn of the millennium. I think old GWS wanted a big apocalyptic moment in the fluff with the corresponding big battles and camapaigns playing out at their stores. But they never did it because most people were for a long time happy with the status quo and GWS had been on the defensive creatively for the prior 20 years. New GWS.....new blood, new look, new millennium. And with all the developments happening: Cadia, various SM chapters getting practically wiped out, it's already suitably apocalyptic by Imperial standards. Kind of a soft apocalypse compared to what I always expected growing up. But I'm starting to feel about 40k like I do Game of Thrones....wondering what GWS is going to take the axe to for effect, and then replace with something else.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:46:43 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8913 on: June 04, 2017, 08:56:40 am »

The new edition has prompted me to go back and try painting my only real loyalist love, the Black Templars. Haven't painted any in a long time, possibly 6 or so years.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Left is one of my old ones, right is the first of my new ones. Still need to touch up the black on the shoulderpads, but otherwise the new one is completed barring a BT specific shoulderpad replacement in future.

I've gotten better at getting smooth whites, highlighting, metallics, drybrushing, using washes, and though it doesn't show up well here, I've also gotten better at doing things like eye lenses.

Definitely need to work on the lighting for when I'm taking photos though. Still coming out way too dark.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8914 on: June 04, 2017, 12:17:53 pm »

I might go digging to see if I have any unpainted marines now since I'm definitely getting the itch again.

Out of curiosity, I checked Games Workshop's online store.  I will not be buying new marines.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8915 on: June 04, 2017, 04:54:05 pm »

Good ol' BT's.
Makes me feel like going back and painting my Thousand Sons (Although they've had a bit more spotlight recently)
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8916 on: June 04, 2017, 04:57:10 pm »

I might go digging to see if I have any unpainted marines now since I'm definitely getting the itch again.

Out of curiosity, I checked Games Workshop's online store.  I will not be buying new marines.

My LGS was handing out marine sprues for free comic book day.  I think one was only enough to make maybe two or four.  I shoulda grabbed one.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8917 on: June 04, 2017, 06:52:35 pm »

Any opinions about Battlefleet Gothic Leviathan? Now that necrons are out? The game now have 4 out of what? 8 raíces?
It has Imperial Navy, Space Marines, Tyranids and Necron.

Its missing Orks, chaos, Tau and Eldar.

Con the other hand armada have almost all raíces but necrons and tyranids, but it's sadly dead on the water.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 05:01:21 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8918 on: June 05, 2017, 04:03:11 pm »

General lore question; is it possible for someone to become a spess marine (or similar) later in life? In the Horus heresy series (book 2, I'm only on 3 so no spoilers please!) a character starts to get turned into something resembling a spess marine but it's never taken to it's conclusion.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8919 on: June 05, 2017, 04:09:09 pm »

General lore question; is it possible for someone to become a spess marine (or similar) later in life? In the Horus heresy series (book 2, I'm only on 3 so no spoilers please!) a character starts to get turned into something resembling a spess marine but it's never taken to it's conclusion.

In general: No. The bodies of young humans are adaptable and can survive the implantation of organs and gene therapies better than older humans. Anyone above like 15 years old stands a drastically increased chance of just dying from the process or having their bodies reject the organs.

In the HH books there are several groups of adults that are inducted but:
1. They're not trained as well.
2. They didn't get the full suite of SM organs.
3. They're generally much smaller since there's less or none of the gene therapy to promote bone and muscle growth.
4. They're arguably not as "post-human" as SMs, since the psycho-indoctrination and gene therapy also has an impact on the mind, allowing for the formation of eidetic memory, psychological defenses against mental intrusions, etc and so forth. That said, I seem to recall even adult men inducted as SMs still managed the formation of eidetic memory.

I think it's pretty much unheard of in modern 40k for chapters to even try with adults now. The geneseed and organs are now far too rare and precious to attempt, versus the days of the legion when there were 10,000 SMs per chapter and plenty of gene seed to go around.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 05:25:39 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8920 on: June 05, 2017, 04:41:21 pm »

Any opinions about Battlefleet Gothic Leviathan? Now that necrons are out? The game now have 4 out of what? 8 raíces?
It has Imperial Navy, Space Marines, Tyranids and Necron.

Its missing Orks, chaos, Tau and Eldar.

Con the other hand armada have almost all raíces but necrons and tyranids, but it's sadly dead on the water.
There's another Battlefleet Gothic game?

I've been having quite a bit of trouble with Orks in Armada.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8921 on: June 05, 2017, 05:27:42 pm »

Looks like an iOS game?

I knew they were making it. Didn't really pay attention though since I've had a hard time getting into Armada.

But I still feel like they easily did their due diligence with Armada. It's a high quality game I just have a hard time getting into the gameplay of, and they did most of the fixins by adding in everything but Tyranids.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8922 on: June 05, 2017, 05:27:51 pm »

To add some examples to what nenjin said above:

Inquisitor Lord Hector Rex is supposed to have been clandestinely turned into a demi-marine as I recall. Kor Phaeron, Lorgar's adoptive father, is one, Leman Russ had several of his original human vassals turned into them but I don't think any survived to the Heresy. The Space Wolves may still do it from time to time if my memory serves, pretty sure it happens in some novel or other where they fight daemons.

Exactly how they differ from full marines is never really explained in detail, and we only have rules for two of them (Rex and Kor Phaeron,) and even then they don't agree on the stats. We just know that they're a bit weaker in general than marines but still far superior to humans.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8923 on: June 05, 2017, 07:43:39 pm »

Looks like an iOS game?

I knew they were making it. Didn't really pay attention though since I've had a hard time getting into Armada.

But I still feel like they easily did their due diligence with Armada. It's a high quality game I just have a hard time getting into the gameplay of, and they did most of the fixins by adding in everything but Tyranids.
It is quite fun.

Just, for the love of the Emperor, don't fight Orks.

Both they and the Imperium specialize in close combat. Only they're better at it.

I fought the Space Hulk by torpedo spam.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8924 on: June 05, 2017, 08:35:31 pm »

I believe the most pertinent example of these demi-marines is Lion El'Johnson's Luther, who is described as having been too old to be turned into a space marine, but is nevertheless highly augmented.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Luther
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 593 594 [595] 596 597 ... 824