Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 647 648 [649] 650 651 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971521 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: Lictor, P.I.
« Reply #9720 on: November 17, 2017, 09:06:09 am »

I imagine the Emprah would have jumped up and down on a few star systems with him and his primarchy lads, then gone "wow this takes more time than I thought" and cooked up SPACE THUNDER MARINE WARRIORA or something to help out.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9721 on: November 17, 2017, 11:25:50 am »

There are 21 historical legions, and 21 primarchs and one of those legions has an extra primarch. So that's 22. Then you add the two that were BLAMMED. So that actually makes 24 total primarchs.
I dare you to name them all, except of course the 2 unknown ones, which you can put as X and Y.

It would appear I am wrong, because in the grimdarkness of the 21st century, math is hard.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9722 on: November 17, 2017, 11:56:30 am »

I just count on my fingers. One, two, three, skorp, five, four, thanta, sixty, Emperor's finger.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9723 on: November 17, 2017, 12:36:44 pm »

I imagine that by necessity they would eventually had raised an army anyway, bit imagine a group of two dozen demigods, one of them basically a god going around together.

It would have been a giant, titanically wasteful game of whack-a-mole; even using the most optimistic ideas about how they'd have turned out in the Emperor's care (as in, not like Horus), there's still only 21 people total under the original plan, counting the Emperor and assuming Omegon wasn't intentional. 21 demigods might be enough to kill anything in the galaxy, at least insofar as the Emperor was aware at the time of the Primarch Project's inception, but just running around killing things isn't enough to build an empire. It also needs boots on the ground to handle local threats and force bigger ones to concentrate their efforts, and of course there needs to be some kind of government for the concept of empire to have any meaning to the people ostensibly in it. Primarchs are overkill for both tasks, and more importantly there aren't enough of them to physically meet the needs of the burgeoning Imperium. If there's only Primarchs and nothing else, every time an Ork pops its head out of the ground on some podunk agri-world, at least 1/21 of the Imperium's military has to go deal with that...and there tend to be 22+ Orks in the Imperium at any one time.

Now, as a plan for building an Empire this is farcically inefficient. If all the Emperor wanted was endless bloodshed and glory, though, it makes perfect sense.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9724 on: November 17, 2017, 01:26:21 pm »

I think that the Emperor's original plan had been to use the primarchs to influence and take over planets from within like the Emperor had been doing on Earth (before royally donking it up and taking over the world with an army of super soldiers.)

Also, the primarchs were probably fucked from the beginning--at least they had humanity because they were raised by humans. The Emperor was a literal psychopath, who not only did not give a fuck about the primarchs, but viewed them 100% as tools, and allowed them to believe that he loved them to get them to follow orders. Some seriously fucked up shit.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #9725 on: November 17, 2017, 01:27:08 pm »

Okay, Clarification, since people are throwing numbers around like "24 Primarchs" (Ooh, that sounds like a good band name.) And i just wanna set the record straight. There are 21 Primarchs. There was 20 Legions (At some point), and 20 Primarchs were made for each of them (Omegon (Or possibly Alpharius) was either an accident on the Emps partHERESY *BLAM* or an experiment. I dunno where people are getting this idea of a 21rst Legion. As for the two missing Primarchs, those are included in the counts of the legions. There are 19 named Primarchs and  18 named legions. I suppose technically you could see the Companions (I think thats what they were called) as they're own legion, with Emps himself being their "Primarch." Though that would be a bit of a stretch
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 02:17:31 pm by LordPorkins »
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9726 on: November 17, 2017, 01:47:59 pm »

Okay, Clarification, since people are throwing numbers around like "24 Primarchs" (Ooh, that sounds like a good band name.) And i just wanna set the record straight. There are 21 Primarchs. There was 20 Legions (At some point), and 20 Primarchs were made for each of them (Omegon (Or possibly Alpharius) was either an accident on the Emps partHERESY *BLAM* or an experiment. I dunno where people are getting this idea of a 21rst Legion. As for the two missing Primarchs, those are included in the counts of the legions. There are 18 named Primarchs and legions. I suppose technically you could see the Companions (I think thats what they were called) as they're own legion, with Emps himself being their "Primarch." Though that would be a bit of a stretch
19 named Primarchs and 18 named legions. Alpha Legion got two. You fucked up the count yourself.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #9727 on: November 17, 2017, 02:07:01 pm »

Aw shit your right. Gotta fix that real quick

But actually, where did this idea of 21 Legions come from? I've yet to hear anyone make that mistake, and am wondering if GeeDubs released something with a misprint or two in it.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9728 on: November 17, 2017, 02:11:23 pm »

Aw shit your right. Gotta fix that real quick

But actually, where did this idea of 21 Legions come from? I've yet to hear anyone make that mistake, and am wondering if GeeDubs released something with a misprint or two in it.

I think because there were 21 Primarchs, counting Omegon and the two lost, so people assume there were 21 Legions.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9729 on: November 17, 2017, 04:23:54 pm »

The Emperor`s rpg party would hace been cool to see. Kinda like the Avengers but with far more dismemberment and everyone is a walking rape dispensing Tank, no healers needed.

Perhaps the Emperor intended to make some kind of confederation or loose republic jumping from place to place showing how awesome they are, were each planet/system was largely on it's own but all shared the same loyally to him and mankind? Not that it would have worked beyond a handful of systems, perhaps a very small sub sector at most.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 04:28:42 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9730 on: November 17, 2017, 05:42:59 pm »

I just count on my fingers. One, two, three, skorp, five, four, thanta, sixty, Emperor's finger.

Dare I ask which is the Emperor's Finger?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9731 on: November 17, 2017, 05:52:29 pm »

Let's just say it's not on your hand.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9732 on: November 17, 2017, 06:28:59 pm »

Given the Emperor's actions during the Crusade I suspect his original plan (at least as much as the writers could agree what his plan is/was) was to conquer the bits he needed to start the webway project then take things from there. His interest in actual administration and warmongering seemed fairly minimal, he handed both off to other people pretty fast in favour of psychic tinkering, and the chaos gods seemed to assume his overall goal was to kill them off.

If he just wanted war or conquest he could have taken over earth long before it was covered in genetic mutant warlords leading armies of tech-barbarians and the oceans boiled away by nuclear wars. Probably could have ruled the original human space civilization if he really wanted to and lead an army of Men of Iron to conquer the Eldar empire. Dude waited until mankind was almost wiped out by warp storms and rebelling AI to do anything even related to military stuff or overt rule, and then spent his time fighting Orks, minor xenos and divergent human strains before shuffling off to his lab to build a road with his brain.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9733 on: November 17, 2017, 06:42:58 pm »

There is sort of a question what the Emperor was doing with his time in between the Dark Age of Technology and the start of the Unification Wars. Obviously he was making the Thunder Warriors and setting up his gene labs, but it's still a pretty long stretch of time to account for.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9734 on: November 17, 2017, 06:43:53 pm »

Do we know if he had a hand in the first human space empire? I assume so--but I don't know if there's lore around it.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 647 648 [649] 650 651 ... 824