Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971775 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: A comparative biology of Beastmen.
« Reply #10155 on: February 22, 2018, 04:19:32 pm »

What about Exterminatus destroying whole worlds with their unique fauna and flora?
What about the damage constant war must be making on it?
What about the severe industrialization literally turning entire worlds into concrete horrors filled with toxic fumes?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10156 on: February 22, 2018, 05:14:37 pm »

The thing that always gave met a WTF moment about PETA and 40K was that they looked at 40k and though to complain about fur on armor? What about simple servitors made from animals? What about genetically modified and augmented horses used as war beasts? (just as two examples out of many)

There was no WTF there for me. Plenty of PETA's marketing is reactionary and unreasonable. Given that I had no expectation they'd research 40k to actually dig up more horrifying examples.

Besides, only PETA could look at 40k and go "But the animals!" The irony is downright Tzeentchian.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10157 on: February 22, 2018, 05:24:25 pm »

Well in their defense you wouldn't really expect them to, much like you wouldn't really expect the NRA to go around in an official capacity admonishing people for drinking and driving. It's not so much that it isn't worthy of concern (even though 40k grimderp isn't worth complaining about anyway IMO,) that's just somewhat outside the scope of the group's focus.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10158 on: February 22, 2018, 05:33:41 pm »

much like you wouldn't really expect the NRA to go around in an official capacity admonishing people for drinking and driving.

Mmmm, not sure I agree with that comparison. I would expect the NRA to officially admonish people for not carrying guns, and they do. Treating animals as our due to do with what we will is firmly in PETA's wheel house, and Kot makes the point fairly well with his examples.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10159 on: February 22, 2018, 05:39:38 pm »

One would just believe there's plenty atrocities being done in real life to real animals to focus on a fiction work.

It's pretty obvious some over sensitive person at peta (which would be already saying, a lot) saw a promo art of a space marine and felt offended the best way only a milenial can get offended and started a nonsense cruzade.

You know you are losing at life when Matt Ward makes fun of you.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 05:42:53 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10160 on: February 22, 2018, 05:51:27 pm »

One would just believe there's plenty atrocities being done in real life to real animals to focus on a fiction work.

It's pretty obvious some over sensitive person at peta (which would be already saying, a lot) saw a promo art of a space marine and felt offended the best way only a milenial can get offended and started a nonsense cruzade.

PETA's definition of animal abuse and everyone else's definition of animal abuse tend to diverge. A lot. I remember a PETA campaign that proclaimed pets = slaves.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10161 on: February 22, 2018, 07:47:41 pm »

I think PETA antics are less because they actually offended by something and more because they want all the attention they can get, and yelling about popular things is a way to get that. No such thing as bad publicity.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #10162 on: February 23, 2018, 11:04:56 am »

Funnily enough, /tg/ is starting to back off on the Spiritual Liege memes. Matt Ward is still regarded with suspicion and doubt, of course, but the fact that he delivered a sick burn on someone attacking 40k has made him slightly more likeable in the eyes of some.

Now we just need him to fight Feminism 40K
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10163 on: February 23, 2018, 11:13:49 am »

Well I mean with the primaris macguffin they had the chance to diversify the adeptus frastartes and they didn’t- so I make the assumption they’ll be sticking to their guns on that one.

Male wytches make me feel strange though, so who knows if boy-sororitas will be popping up.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10164 on: February 25, 2018, 07:26:53 pm »

Well I mean with the primaris macguffin they had the chance to diversify the adeptus frastartes and they didn’t- so I make the assumption they’ll be sticking to their guns on that one.

Male wytches make me feel strange though, so who knows if boy-sororitas will be popping up.
40k anime? Truly the darkest timeline we are in

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10165 on: February 27, 2018, 03:36:33 am »

I'm still waiting for that to blow up with the Primaris being insufferably prideful and ultimately corrupted. But apparently I am mistaken because what we need are even bigger marines.

Choir boy acolytes? Yes, we need that.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10166 on: February 27, 2018, 04:01:03 am »

Basically in order for the Primaris to be evil they would have to forcibly upend a model line
I certainly wouldn’t see that twist coming, let’s say that.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10167 on: February 27, 2018, 07:06:00 am »

Well, I mean, for the first part they could be just recoloured Primaris with chaosey rules or something. It's not like everyone spontaneously grew spikes and horns during Horus Heresy.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10168 on: February 27, 2018, 08:59:38 am »

There are hints that Chaos Primaris are coming eventually, Fabius Bile is meant to find them fascinating and wants to duplicate the process and sooner or later some will turn renegade in a galaxy more beset by chaos than ever before. It's just a matter of when GW fits it into their release schedule, which will probably be after a whole bunch of other stuff given how the schedule is determined ages in advance.

At the core they're just a justification for making a scale of marine that has a waist and more sensibly proportioned arms without annoying everyone whose bits stop being compatible.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #10169 on: February 27, 2018, 10:13:10 am »

You know what would be a neat twist? If it's discovered that the Primaris Marines are inherently flawed. Maybe they start dying off like normal humans from age and disease. That would be cool. Plus it would throw the Imperium into even more o a grimdark state since it's bold, bright heroes are succumbing to their own imperfections
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha
Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 824