Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438862 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1050 on: December 17, 2014, 12:31:27 pm »

brag about kills or bring up incident.  But its . . . not all there yet.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Bainin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: December 17, 2014, 01:29:25 pm »

kinda did that alot but nobdy gives a damn so its kinda broken right now i assume?

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: December 18, 2014, 12:19:16 am »

How many tiles does an enemy such as a zombie need to get within to cause a civilian to flee in horror? I'm creating a buffer zone for my ballista battery.

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
  • Traveling at the speed of Urist (not that fast)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: December 18, 2014, 02:40:21 pm »

Any tips for caging a unicorn? What sort of bait should I use?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: December 18, 2014, 02:42:22 pm »

Wha~?  As far as I know the best thing to do is to trap common animal pathing areas.  They dont go after carrots or anything (yet).

How many tiles does an enemy such as a zombie need to get within to cause a civilian to flee in horror? I'm creating a buffer zone for my ballista battery.

I do 20 to be sure.  But about as far as the dwarves can see.  Being directly hostile to the dwarf is enough to make them flee, but a neutral relationship wont offend them as much (which means when the zoms do go hostile due to wonkiness the dwarves are that much closer).

kinda did that alot but nobdy gives a damn so its kinda broken right now i assume?
Yup.  Its not easy being the first in a world of change.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 02:44:39 pm by pisskop »
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: December 18, 2014, 02:52:07 pm »

Wha~?  As far as I know the best thing to do is to trap common animal pathing areas.  They dont go after carrots or anything (yet).
I was just asking because I know that Certain creatures are lured in by constructions (so I build a door in the middle of cage traps). I thought that maybe there was an exploit for luring in a unicorn. I can't seem to catch the little buggers.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: December 18, 2014, 04:45:28 pm »

I was just asking because I know that Certain creatures are lured in by constructions (so I build a door in the middle of cage traps). I thought that maybe there was an exploit for luring in a unicorn. I can't seem to catch the little buggers.

Use walls to restrict their pathing. Then cage traps.

And unicorns are not attracted by anything (not even virgins), although I have barely even met unicorns due to never embarking in good biomes.

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: December 18, 2014, 06:18:46 pm »

By this use mean, close off the border except for a small area and put cage traps there?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: December 18, 2014, 06:19:46 pm »

By this use mean, close off the border except for a small area and put cage traps there?
T section or X section to force them into a concentrated cage trap area.  Build the walls in the shape of a t or x.
PKs DF Mod!

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: December 18, 2014, 06:40:12 pm »

T section or X section to force them into a concentrated cage trap area.  Build the walls in the shape of a t or x.
Thanks, I will try this.  ;D
Now I just have to hope some spawn. >:( I increased the savagery and purposely embarked in a Joyous Wilds temperate shrubland to increase their chances.
I was hoping to catch one early on because their pet value is really high. I modified the raw so they are able to be tamed. It will take years to properly tame one. Could they all have died? Is there a way to influence (or force) dwarf fortress to spawn creatures?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: December 19, 2014, 05:41:36 pm »

Do built fortifications have floors under them if built hanging?  Will water drain downwards if I channel a tile and then build a fortification over the hole?
PKs DF Mod!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: December 19, 2014, 06:04:27 pm »

That or what pisskop said.

Could they all have died? Is there a way to influence (or force) dwarf fortress to spawn creatures?

In case you have been hunting and killing too much outdoor creatures you may have no more outdoor animals.

Anyways, if you want more creatures to spawn, you should catch and tame or kill the existing ones.

Vndetta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: December 19, 2014, 06:10:49 pm »

Quote from: vexxice link=topic=140163.msg5887959#msg5887959
Is there a way to influence (or force) dwarf fortress to spawn creatures?
DFHack has a script that can both check and modify "region-pops", to let you know if a wild animal population is extinct and fix it if so.

Unrelated question: Has anyone noticed any weirdness with Animal Training (.40.19)? I have quite a few crundles in my fort all in various stage of Trained, and a dozen dwarfs with the labor turned on. It's working, and the animals are getting trained, but sometimes dwarves seem to be getting... stuck, I guess. They stand there training for a really long time, even to the point of thirst and hunger. Even removing the labor, removing the animal to be trained, and/or removing the training zone seems to not snap them out of it for a long while. Everything is set up properly, and it does seem to be getting done, but... what's up with the standing around? Half my fort got stuck.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:13:24 pm by Vndetta »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: December 19, 2014, 06:15:14 pm »

Do built fortifications have floors under them if built hanging?  Will water drain downwards if I channel a tile and then build a fortification over the hole?
The answer seems to be no, which means an implied floor . . .
PKs DF Mod!

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: December 20, 2014, 12:42:14 pm »

Is there any good science regarding the exp gains from individual combat drills? Im trying to get a legendary biter (alright, baby steps - I'll settle for proficient atm) in fort mode. Turning out to be alot harder than I thought.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 268