Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1849464 times)

Streeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing D&D Counts as Partying
    • View Profile
    • https://www.google.com/
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1830 on: May 08, 2015, 10:07:53 pm »

Ouch, yeah, switching compilers would really slow down production for quite some time. Not to mention programs that poke around memory like DFHack would have to be completely rewritten. I'm really surprised the version of MSVC he's using doesn't support 64-bit. I would've sworn that's standard, even in the free edition. Unless it's still express 2005 or something ancient.

In fact, I think I'll add that to my list of questions. :P
"To ensure quality standards, this space is hereby declared a Signature-Free Zone (SFZ). All intruding signatures, real or made-up, will be shot on sight."

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: May 08, 2015, 10:19:57 pm »

It's 2010, actually. The version of gcc he uses is also from around 2010.
Edit: very little of DFHack would have to be rewritten (mostly the code that deals with vtables, which I believe works with newer gcc versions without problems). As long as it uses the same compiler as DF, nothing should change aside from some possible new compiler errors.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 10:23:32 pm by lethosor »
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Streeter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: May 08, 2015, 10:32:49 pm »

I'd imagine that's true for switching to a newer version of MSVC, but making the jump to GCC wouldn't make all that big a difference? I'm a bit surprised by that! Shows how poor a coder I am. :P

Thanks for the answers. Looks like four of my questions remain, pending anyone else jumps in. :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 10:37:29 pm by Streeter »
"To ensure quality standards, this space is hereby declared a Signature-Free Zone (SFZ). All intruding signatures, real or made-up, will be shot on sight."

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: May 08, 2015, 11:12:23 pm »

Yeah I don't see multithreading helping nearly enough to be worth the problems unless we're talking about vectorizing some upkeep tasks to the GPU (with a fallback for systems without suitable hardware).  Things like temperature, lighting, structural integrity for realistic cave-ins, etc. that can survive a one tick delay.

That would be a major, major undertaking.  No, even major-er than you're thinking.

And coincidentally I am doing !!SCIENCE!! on pets at the moment, but nothing with puppies I'm afraid :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: May 08, 2015, 11:29:13 pm »

Switching to gcc wouldn't be necessary at all. Just upgrading to a newer msvc version.

The free 2010 version doesn't support 64bit, but all the newer ones do.

Switching to a newer compiler would also bring some speed increases.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 11:30:54 pm by Japa »

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: May 08, 2015, 11:38:03 pm »

so, with the new donations from patreon, would it be possible to get a new compiler that is 64 bit compatible?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 03:30:33 am by SimRobert2001 »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: May 08, 2015, 11:43:12 pm »

Did I mention that the newer conpilers that support 64bit are still free?

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: May 09, 2015, 01:06:11 am »

Yeah I don't see multithreading helping nearly enough to be worth the problems unless we're talking about vectorizing some upkeep tasks to the GPU (with a fallback for systems without suitable hardware).  Things like temperature, lighting, structural integrity for realistic cave-ins, etc. that can survive a one tick delay.

That would be a major, major undertaking.  No, even major-er than you're thinking.

GPU programming is much harder than parallel CPU programming. In terms of work effort to value of output it would be better to do CPU parallelism, and even then it would make debugging much harder and Toady is more interested in adding features than optimization.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: May 09, 2015, 01:43:50 am »

This discussion again!
  • 64-bit - a tedious conversion that will take a lot of time for not much gain. Will be needed one day.
  • Multithreading - Very complicated, and likely not going to happen. Massive gains. (There was some talk about parellelization being an easy conversion for for-loops, though)
This is the first I've heard of GPU acceleration for DF, but that sounds complicated. However, it sounds like a tack-on rather than a rewrite. Rip out the temperature code, write it in OpenGL (or whatever is used for acceleration), an have DF grab the results when necessary.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: May 09, 2015, 02:11:13 am »

I realize that I'm continuing the discussion by saying so but this discussion shouldn't be had here. Discussion of parallel or GPU programming in DF should be moved to the suggestions forum. Better yet, use the search button and see if someone else has already said what you wanted to say.

Streeter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: May 09, 2015, 02:45:59 am »

[This post was contributing nothing, ignore]
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 02:49:30 am by Streeter »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: May 09, 2015, 06:20:49 am »

I'd imagine that's true for switching to a newer version of MSVC, but making the jump to GCC wouldn't make all that big a difference? I'm a bit surprised by that! Shows how poor a coder I am. :P

Thanks for the answers. Looks like four of my questions remain, pending anyone else jumps in. :)
DF already uses gcc on Linux and OS X
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: May 09, 2015, 09:39:30 am »

To change the topic quickly:
When do you and Zach think you can grace us with your magnificent update? August? October? 2016?
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: May 09, 2015, 09:51:35 am »

When do you and Zach think you can grace us with your magnificent update? August? October? 2016?

From May report:
It's technically possible that we could get a Dwarf Fortress release by the end of the month, and I've written everything out on a theoretical daily schedule that would make it, but I suspect bugs, non-DF hassles and other issues will drag it out by a bit.  We're doing well though, in terms of not having another giant multi-year wait.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: May 09, 2015, 10:25:18 am »

From May report:
It's technically possible that we could get a Dwarf Fortress release by the end of the month, and I've written everything out on a theoretical daily schedule that would make it, but I suspect bugs, non-DF hassles and other issues will drag it out by a bit.  We're doing well though, in terms of not having another giant multi-year wait.

...oh, oops.

that soon? wow.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 10:31:24 am by Alfrodo »
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 306