Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1849482 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4020 on: April 13, 2016, 03:16:38 pm »

Crap, dunno. I only hope you can set immediate dumping orders for certain conditions, i.e "if rotten > autodump" - I often make way too much food and it starts rotting and blowing miasma everywhere - bit annoying.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #4021 on: April 13, 2016, 03:51:29 pm »

Probably standing orders to keep the stock of doors, beds, etc hovering around 20 or so unbuilt rather than just mass producing them two years straight and then hoping that's enough for the rest of the fort's lifetime. Same with coffins.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: April 13, 2016, 09:07:24 pm »

Right now, civs can live on past their expiration date in the form of refugees living in camps and abandoned sites. Will civs ever hunt down and kill enemy refugees? What about bandits?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: April 13, 2016, 10:07:08 pm »

Right now, civs can live on past their expiration date in the form of refugees living in camps and abandoned sites. Will civs ever hunt down and kill enemy refugees? What about bandits?
You can always make a Starting Seven and a couple migrant waves appear out of thin air by embarking in the dead civ's name.

Will a civ ever be "dead enough" that it will no longer be an option at embark, but still appear in Legends?  Can a later group, which may or may not have any blood relation to the members of the dead civ, claim to "re-establish" that civ in the context of cutting ties with its real parent civ?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: April 14, 2016, 05:16:09 am »

I hope you get back to normal quickly Toady. Do the orders have something like always keep 100 booze on stock, or 30 in this stockpile, and 70 in that other?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

decev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: April 14, 2016, 03:49:30 pm »

I hope you get back to normal quickly Toady. Do the orders have something like always keep 100 booze on stock, or 30 in this stockpile, and 70 in that other?
The stockpile part sounds complicated, UI-wise. You can achieve almost the same thing by having a small stockpile take from your large stockpile.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: April 14, 2016, 08:43:51 pm »

Ok... different topic: What kind of conditional workorders are YOU gonna set up every time you start a new fortress once this function gets in?

My main one would be 'if plump helmet > 10, brew', because I always lose track of the still.

Having played both with the DF Hack plugin for workflow and Gnomoria, which has this feature, the simple answer would be "every single order". (Gnomoria has the additional tasty goodness of "auto-order required intermediary products".)

There's basically no reason not to use it for everything.  Order at least X coffins on hand, keep X roasts around, have X steel bolts ready for use, keep X chairs and table and beds around, etc. 

There really isn't anything in DF that you need running round-the-clock, and un-binnable furniture in particular clogs the stockpiles. (Even quantum stockpiling, the additional wasted labor isn't helping anything.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: April 14, 2016, 08:56:48 pm »

god i should figure some stuff out to get that "auto-order intermediary products" thing, i adore that in applied energistics

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: April 14, 2016, 11:01:24 pm »

My first year fortresses are freezing up like absolute crazy whenever a tavern is active, even though the FPS is well over 300 otherwise. It's unplayable with taverns, not even embarking on a neighborless pocket island fixes the problem. Why is this happening, is this normal?

Edit: Ahh, now I see. So I've been out of the loop for a while and was just testing the taverns for the first time, and apparently it doesn't pay to be lazy and throw up a 1x1 lounge . 1x2 and up there are no issues, leaving no room for festivities is rather problematic it would seem. Worth making a bug report?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 12:54:23 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: April 15, 2016, 08:48:57 am »

"And here's the activities closet. Feel free to dance or sing in there, just be sure to close the door behind you, ya damned hippy."
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: April 15, 2016, 03:29:56 pm »

Worth making a bug report?
It is intended that every tavern must have such areas? If it is then no report is needed, if not then I guess it's simple a bug.

Personally I would think not every tavern is a The Snuggly Duckling, Prancing Pony or The Whore's Nipple Bar&Grill. Some might be the Swine Face taverns type where the only activity besides drinking is to die gruesomely.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 08:53:31 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: April 15, 2016, 06:44:58 pm »

I don't think most people even think to create 1x1 meeting areas, I guess I'm just lazy like that.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: April 15, 2016, 08:43:04 pm »

I don't think most people even think to create 1x1 meeting areas, I guess I'm just lazy like that.
Oh come on, it's an entire tile.  Your dorfs should be thankful they get so much!
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: April 15, 2016, 08:54:05 pm »

Individual spaces for training dogs are literally the only instances I can think of where I use 1x1 zones. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: April 15, 2016, 09:56:43 pm »

Individual spaces for training dogs are literally the only instances I can think of where I use 1x1 zones. :V

I use them to keep male livestock that don't need to graze, like boars or ganders in place next to the female animals, also in 1x1 "pastures".  I also use 1x1 pastures for "watch poults" to serve as lookouts and/or bait on the ramparts or cavern entrances. (Surrounded, naturally, by GCS-webbed cage traps...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 306