Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Unholy Murk Instakilled my Fortress (40.03)  (Read 15221 times)

QuantumMenace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unholy Murk Instakilled my Fortress (40.03)
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2014, 12:14:30 am »

This is definitely restricted to the biome that covers most of the site. There is a small intrusion of another biome in the middle of the map's west border, and its outline becomes apparent if it snows in that small patch during winter while raining almost everywhere else. Animals that appear there can make it further from the edge of the map, but die instantly 1 step into the larger biome.

Chimpanzee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2014, 04:42:30 am »

This reminded me of a fortress of mine, where one day the evil rain started to instantly kill anything non-undead making contact with it. It caused instant heavy bleeding, that's all I remember. Traders instantly melted. Dwarves running outside inevitably bled to death. The dwarves trying to reach the corpses also bled to death.

On topic: I have no idea what caused the emission of Unholy Murk, considering your fortress was not situated in an evil biome.
"I am a Legandary Weaver! Nobody handles cloth like me"
"Yeah, that's great. Hey, are you done? If so, we need to smelt this ten thousand large load of hematite. I'll see you next month."
"WHAT AN OUTRAGE! I AM A LIVING LEGEND! I SHOULD BE WEAVING"
"That's nice. Tell you what, pretend you are weaving metal out of this ore. Now get to work."

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2014, 04:58:15 am »

Hippomane Mancinella isn't quite as bad as the unholy murk seems to be, but it's not that far from it.
We really need that tree in DF.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
Re: Unholy Murk Instakilled my Fortress (40.03)16
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2014, 05:55:56 am »

This same thing just happened on my embark. Mid-Autumn came around and everything above ground turned into creeping vapor husks. It is very odd. Its a shame too because it was a fantastic embark.

Edit: just checked the surroundings and the entire 16x16 are untamed wilds
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 06:04:30 am by Halnoth »
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2014, 08:07:25 am »

...While reading this thread I have DF open in the window beside. Then I notice it's paused, with "A cloud of nefarious murk has drifted nearby!"

*runs away screaming from the cursed thread*

Edit: while looking for a place to embark I've noticed that the usually-evil purple and red/grey tree zones are marked as "wilderness". Could it be that the zones are being mislabeled as neutral when they are really evil zones?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 08:10:10 am by Caz »

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2014, 08:26:13 am »

...While reading this thread I have DF open in the window beside. Then I notice it's paused, with "A cloud of nefarious murk has drifted nearby!"

Edit: while looking for a place to embark I've noticed that the usually-evil purple and red/grey tree zones are marked as "wilderness". Could it be that the zones are being mislabeled as neutral when they are really evil zones?

I don't usually do evil biomes, but shouldn't the local flora give it away? Check which ones are unique to evil zones.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2014, 08:27:24 am »

I don't usually do evil biomes, but shouldn't the local flora give it away? Check which ones are unique to evil zones.

I embarked in a 'Haunted' zone on purpose and found that there are no evil trees. Apricot, pears, hazelnuts etc. No evil grass either, and no wildlife. Maybe evil areas are bugged for this version.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2014, 08:29:15 am »

They come in different flavors. Some have nothing but dead trees and the grass is made of eyeballs but some look completely normal until it starts raining the blood of the gods.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2014, 08:40:16 am »

Ah, I thought even the normal looking grasses still chose from a list. Scratch that then. What about by wildlife?
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2014, 08:48:58 am »

Means little but I embarked on the evil beach a short distance from your fort and discovered clouds of unholy murk. No new theories.

Is it possible there was a tree direcrly over your entrance before you started building?

This draw my attention, toady said that now, invaders and mounts are taken from real world population.

Is it possible that an historic goblin/kobold, or even an animal (can they travel?) was infected with the unholy murk, but not killed because legends mode, and spread it when entering the map?
I doubt the wild animal theory, mostly because I don't think they can leave a biome, but the goblin/kobold one wouldn't surprise me.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2014, 09:02:44 am »

Contaminant syndromes aren't that contagious these days when we have dwarves wearing clothes and stuff. Syndrome only takes hold if you touch it with unprotected bodypart.
Not to mention that even adventurers fast traveling through evil biomes aren't affected.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2014, 09:06:11 am »

This draw my attention, toady said that now, invaders and mounts are taken from real world population.

Is it possible that an historic goblin/kobold, or even an animal (can they travel?) was infected with the unholy murk, but not killed because legends mode, and spread it when entering the map?
I doubt the wild animal theory, mostly because I don't think they can leave a biome, but the goblin/kobold one wouldn't surprise me.
Not possible. As soon as the game began calculating their contamination they would bleed out. A dwarf entering an effected square is covered over EVERY body part instantaneously, if it was just spread then it would only effect dwarves that stepped in it and only the feet.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2014, 09:08:54 am »

The MOMENT the survivor steps above ground (from the save file), all body parts and items gain an unholy murk covering. If it was on the ground it would only get on the feet (unless the creature is crawling), so it is probably some type of bugged weather.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2014, 11:38:33 am »

Has anyone yet tried turning off weather in the init before toying with the save?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2014, 11:42:58 am »

Has anyone yet tried turning off weather in the init before toying with the save?
No effect.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5