Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358750 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #2655 on: May 15, 2017, 10:40:11 am »

It actually looks like credible development now, so that's something at least. It's looking good enough that instead of saying "it'll never come out" now I'm mostly just noticing how incredibly opaque and complicated it seems to be. It seems like the sort of game that doesn't really take off until its got a 2 after the name.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: May 15, 2017, 11:08:03 am »

There's a lot of grumbling over getting pictures of maps and... well... I'm not sure that's completely fair. Not getting videos is a perfectly valid complaint - that I'll agree with.

But this is, and has always been, a grand strategy game in the vein of Paradox's games... the map is about the only thing you really *can* take screenshots of, because it's what you'll spend 98% of the game staring at.

And while it certainly looks complicated, I'd rather reserve judgment on opaque... At the very least, it's not looking any worse than Crusader Kings 2, and other games of its ilk. Not that that's a particularly high bar as far as "intuitive and clear UI" goes.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: May 15, 2017, 11:30:57 am »

And while it certainly looks complicated, I'd rather reserve judgment on opaque... At the very least, it's not looking any worse than Crusader Kings 2, and other games of its ilk. Not that that's a particularly high bar as far as "intuitive and clear UI" goes.
What's on CK2's map? There's provinces, which are colored according to ownership - this much is intuitive to anyone who has seen a real map. There's shields that represent a province's owner, which is intuitive if you've seen a very specific type of old map, but if you haven't it'll still quickly make sense because shields are used all over the place, and you can click them to see what each specific one means. And the only other thing you've got is little soldiers walking about on the map, and arrows to show where they're going; that much is totally intuitive. You've got city sprawl which is purely aesthetic and little details like harbor models and a crown for the capital that are handy if you know them but aren't super important otherwise. And then there's your personal council, who stand on the map where you put them, making them entirely obvious.

Compare that to this, where each province is a circle with dots and icons all over it, and the map has all kinds of icons and dots on it as well, and even though he wrote a big thing explaining it I still don't know what they all are. This is definitely a game with a learning curve, at the very best.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: May 15, 2017, 11:49:54 am »

What's on CK2's map?

(Sidenote: "Intuitive" in the context I'm using it is roughly "intuitive how to read and use the map in the course of gameplay" and not "it's clear what the map means".)

That's about half my point. CK2 does "clear" very well. You look at it, and you almost immediately know what you're looking at. Unfortunately, until you figure out how to dive through map modes and alternate screens, that doesn't do you any good at actually playing the game, so I wouldn't exactly give it "intuitive". That Which Sleeps seems to scratch out "clear" in favor of presenting all the information up-front (apparently spread across multiple zoom levels). The potential is there for everything to be front-and-center and intuitive... once you've beaten the learning curve and know what you're looking at.

As for that learning curve... I'm not too worried about it immediately. This genre is notorious for learning cliffs. That Which Sleeps certainly isn't indicating it'll be any easier to get into than others in its genre, but I'm not seeing any obvious indication it'll be worse either.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: May 15, 2017, 12:37:49 pm »

What's on CK2's map?

(Sidenote: "Intuitive" in the context I'm using it is roughly "intuitive how to read and use the map in the course of gameplay" and not "it's clear what the map means".)

That's about half my point. CK2 does "clear" very well. You look at it, and you almost immediately know what you're looking at. Unfortunately, until you figure out how to dive through map modes and alternate screens, that doesn't do you any good at actually playing the game, so I wouldn't exactly give it "intuitive". That Which Sleeps seems to scratch out "clear" in favor of presenting all the information up-front (apparently spread across multiple zoom levels). The potential is there for everything to be front-and-center and intuitive... once you've beaten the learning curve and know what you're looking at.
Intuitive literally means "easy to intuit" and "intuit" means to discern something automatically. If you have to beat the learning curve, it's definitionally not intuitive. And you don't need alternate map modes to play CK2, they're just an added tool. But they too are pretty easy since you mousover the button for them and it tells you what they do. It might be that the information presented in these screenshots is similarly non-essential (we won't know until/unless we play it someday) but the fact that it's being put front and center like this makes it seems as though at the very least the developer thinks it should matter.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: May 15, 2017, 12:48:10 pm »

Intuitive literally means "easy to intuit" and "intuit" means to discern something automatically. 
I thought the Intuit were the native tribes of the Artic Circle...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: May 15, 2017, 02:20:02 pm »

Intuitive literally means "easy to intuit" and "intuit" means to discern something automatically. 
I thought the Intuit were the native tribes of the Artic Circle...

That's Inuit. Also not to be confused with round tuits.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: May 15, 2017, 02:29:57 pm »

Also Intuit makes Quickbooks. :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: May 19, 2017, 12:58:29 am »

In a bizarre turn of events it turns out a guy on SomethingAwful by the name of Bobby Two Hands has been making his own game along the same lines of TWS and abruptly dropped it in our laps a couple weeks ago.  Kickstarter possibly incoming.

What a fucking ride this entire thing has been.
Shoes...

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: May 19, 2017, 01:32:02 am »

Well now... a functional game (demo) even doing exactly what That Which Sleeps once promised.

Given that there's no sign TWS will ever be released, this sort of thing helps relegate it to the ashheap of history.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: May 19, 2017, 01:40:45 am »

Well.

That was a thing.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: May 19, 2017, 01:47:19 am »

Haha, I can't help but hope he is just trolling to incite the original dude to actually finish the project.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: May 19, 2017, 01:51:18 am »

If someone capable of finishing a game is taking up this concept, well, that makes me happy.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: May 19, 2017, 02:32:52 am »

Haha, I can't help but hope he is just trolling to incite the original dude to actually finish the project.

Why?  It's a good game and it exists and you can play it.   Fuck Josh's game.
Shoes...

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: May 19, 2017, 04:20:20 am »

i cant even anymore
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 210