Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 92

Author Topic: [ϟ] Dark Ages V: War & Mythos [High Horror] [5.0.8] YouTube  (Read 457768 times)

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
Re: <<ϟ Dark Ages ϟ>> Vanilla + Horror [R10][40.24] <Clerics & Skeletons>
« Reply #435 on: November 03, 2015, 12:52:36 am »

Any chance you could make beasts or other monsters playable in Adventure Mode?

Many monsters you can become during the course of play, but, I've wanted to add creature adventure classes.

What did you have in mind?

Probably not megabeasts or anything too crazy, but definitely some lower-tier monsters and fantasy beasts from the start. Banshees, Harpies, Trolls, maybe even Sasquatches and the like, or bigger things if you want.

With the new features coming in DF's update it'd be neat to be some ravaging monster that finally gets slain, then you later hear Bards singing about you or something. Not many RPGs let you be the monster that you're usually out slaying.

You've convinced me. I will add a slew of monster adventure classes for the next update.
Dark Ages IV: DF & Skyrim mods + Survival Sims 
http://AdventRPG.com/

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 03, 2015, 07:58:28 pm »

This is a fantastic idea.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Morgoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Rayneing Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 04, 2015, 05:18:26 pm »

Very fantastic. I'm hyped. If there's dragons, I'm making so many Smaugs and Ancalagons.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 08:07:25 pm by Morgoth »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 05, 2015, 05:17:17 pm »

Few things I've seen in the raws while modifying this to my needs --

Pointing to languages that don't actually exist; [TRANSLATION:FATE] etc; is "fine" and doesn't generate any errors or seem to cause any issues, but note that it causes the entity in question to randomly choose from languages that are valid every time it generates a name, causing a very multicultural civilization, at least as far as names are concerned.

A whole bunch of the great x creatures haven't had their names changed away from the originals.

Finally, the problematic creatures I was seeing earlier are specifically the ones from creature_incarnation.txt. I don't fully understand why you've chosen to associate them with every single symbol, but that's not my place to speak.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Morgoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Rayneing Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 05, 2015, 06:45:52 pm »

Speaking of bugs with creatures, Clerics seem really, really buggy. I have two as companions and any time we kill anyone I get flooded with messages about "Ancestral Spirits" either appearing or vanishing. In one instance we killed a bandit, an Ancestral Spirit appeared, then it proceeded to decapitate all three of us and wouldn't die.

This only happens with Clerics around.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 09:36:37 pm by Morgoth »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 05, 2015, 10:47:20 pm »

Ancestral spirit is an alternative form of resurrection possessed by the clerics.
I'm not sure what's necessary to "fix" it, but in the meantime, creature_da_adventurer.txt is where the cleric lives in the raws -- you might remove the CAN_DO_INTERACTION and its modifier tags if you want to be rid of them.

(Also, I could swear you had more to say the first time I saw that post..  am I going crazy?)
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Morgoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Rayneing Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 06, 2015, 01:04:41 am »

Ancestral spirit is an alternative form of resurrection possessed by the clerics.
I'm not sure what's necessary to "fix" it, but in the meantime, creature_da_adventurer.txt is where the cleric lives in the raws -- you might remove the CAN_DO_INTERACTION and its modifier tags if you want to be rid of them.

(Also, I could swear you had more to say the first time I saw that post..  am I going crazy?)

I figured it was a resurrection ability, making them almost like a "good" kind of necromancer. Only problem is that 9 times out of 10 the Spirit ends up attacking everyone around it, Clerics included.

I did. It was about balancing regarding Aboleths, but after looking over the raws and checking them out more in-game I decided they were fine.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 01:31:05 am by Morgoth »

Rammok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 06, 2015, 12:41:20 pm »

Few things I've seen in the raws while modifying this to my needs --

Pointing to languages that don't actually exist; [TRANSLATION:FATE] etc; is "fine" and doesn't generate any errors or seem to cause any issues, but note that it causes the entity in question to randomly choose from languages that are valid every time it generates a name, causing a very multicultural civilization, at least as far as names are concerned.

A whole bunch of the great x creatures haven't had their names changed away from the originals.

Finally, the problematic creatures I was seeing earlier are specifically the ones from creature_incarnation.txt. I don't fully understand why you've chosen to associate them with every single symbol, but that's not my place to speak.

I will address each of these issues for the next update. Don't be shy to report anything else you think needs attention.

Speaking of bugs with creatures, Clerics seem really, really buggy. I have two as companions and any time we kill anyone I get flooded with messages about "Ancestral Spirits" either appearing or vanishing. In one instance we killed a bandit, an Ancestral Spirit appeared, then it proceeded to decapitate all three of us and wouldn't die.

This only happens with Clerics around.

Ancestral Spirits are designed to be somewhat friendly. It is possible for them to have a range of personalities, and I've heard of "wild ones" going rogue, but never beheading an entire party.

Did it use a weapon?

I will definitely take a closer look at this. Don't be shy to report anything else you may find.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 12:43:32 pm by Rammok »

Morgoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Rayneing Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 06, 2015, 04:39:09 pm »

Ancestral Spirits are designed to be somewhat friendly. It is possible for them to have a range of personalities, and I've heard of "wild ones" going rogue, but never beheading an entire party.

Did it use a weapon?

I will definitely take a closer look at this. Don't be shy to report anything else you may find.

It had a carving knife, if I remember correctly. That was the only time they'd ever actually killed my entire party, but there have been other times where they still attack. However, it's almost always in defense. Every time I've seen Clerics raise them (multiple worldgens, half a dozen characters with different Clerics in the party) the Clerics immediately start attacking them instead of treating them as neutral or allied. Clerics randomly trying to kill the Spirits seems to be the bigger issue, not vice-versa, which then causes the Spirits to go wild and start hitting everything around them.

Also, gotta say I rethought about it and I honestly think the Aboleths are just a touch too strong. I don't normally complain about tough monsters, but this "apocalyptic creature" very often gets large Hamlets (and even a town in my worldgen), and even one of them can easily kill a high-skilled combatant with full steel equipment, even with half of their body severed or cleaved open. If they didn't have Hamlets, I'd be fine with them being this tough, but it just seems silly. I have an easier time fighting Dragons than I do Aboleths.

Also experienced what may be a bug near hostile "Shadow" warriors and wrestlers and such. Me and my companions constantly lose consciousness, as do other NPCs around us, and in one instance I got near a Shadow Swordsman and suddenly had both my hips mangled beyond recognition. Nothing happened in the announcement log and he didn't attack me, I just got injured out of nowhere. This only happens to me around Shadows and I can't tell if it's intentional or an ability of theirs or just a bug.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 06:05:14 pm by Morgoth »

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
« Reply #444 on: November 08, 2015, 03:52:36 pm »

Did it use a weapon?

It had a carving knife, if I remember correctly. That was the only time they'd ever actually killed my entire party, but there have been other times where they still attack. However, it's almost always in defense. Every time I've seen Clerics raise them (multiple worldgens, half a dozen characters with different Clerics in the party) the Clerics immediately start attacking them instead of treating them as neutral or allied. Clerics randomly trying to kill the Spirits seems to be the bigger issue, not vice-versa, which then causes the Spirits to go wild and start hitting everything around them.

Also, gotta say I rethought about it and I honestly think the Aboleths are just a touch too strong. I don't normally complain about tough monsters, but this "apocalyptic creature" very often gets large Hamlets (and even a town in my worldgen), and even one of them can easily kill a high-skilled combatant with full steel equipment, even with half of their body severed or cleaved open. If they didn't have Hamlets, I'd be fine with them being this tough, but it just seems silly. I have an easier time fighting Dragons than I do Aboleths.

Also experienced what may be a bug near hostile "Shadow" warriors and wrestlers and such. Me and my companions constantly lose consciousness, as do other NPCs around us, and in one instance I got near a Shadow Swordsman and suddenly had both my hips mangled beyond recognition. Nothing happened in the announcement log and he didn't attack me, I just got injured out of nowhere. This only happens to me around Shadows and I can't tell if it's intentional or an ability of theirs or just a bug.

Clerics

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aboleths

Shadows
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 03:54:21 pm by GM-X »
Dark Ages IV: DF & Skyrim mods + Survival Sims 
http://AdventRPG.com/

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: <<ϟ Dark Ages ϟ>> DF Vanilla + Fantasy Survival Horror [R10][40.24]
« Reply #445 on: November 30, 2015, 03:05:24 am »

Hey, I can't read the previous posts, so maybe this has been solved already, but...

Something that's really creepy - i talked to a lone kobold in  a middle of nowhere (i used reveal dfhack command, no one was around) and an invisible Chasm Aboleth replied to me "I don't know you". This happened a few times.

Another thing, I visited an undead hamlet by accident. A message appeared, telling me I obtained a new power, "venomous spatter"... but i didn't. Nothing appears in the x menu.

Both happened when i played a legendary dwarf.
Dabbling Overseer

Rammok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 30, 2015, 05:31:43 pm »

Hey, I can't read the previous posts, so maybe this has been solved already, but...

Something that's really creepy - i talked to a lone kobold in  a middle of nowhere (i used reveal dfhack command, no one was around) and an invisible Chasm Aboleth replied to me "I don't know you". This happened a few times.

Another thing, I visited an undead hamlet by accident. A message appeared, telling me I obtained a new power, "venomous spatter"... but i didn't. Nothing appears in the x menu.

Both happened when i played a legendary dwarf.

I'm not super familiar with the eccentricities of DFHack, but it sounds like you managed to start up a conversation with a Chasm Aboleth, living far underground...

Venomous spitting is a power that can be obtained by becoming a spitter zombie. I'm not aware of any other way to get it. Or, why you would get a message saying that you had it if you did not.

I will take a closer look at the raws later tonight, however, both incidents may just be odd artifacts of using DFHack.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 05:22:18 pm by Rammok »

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 01, 2015, 05:13:27 pm »

I'm not familiar with dfhack oddities, although the only command I ever use is reveal. Thanks for the responses (:
Dabbling Overseer

Rammok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 02, 2015, 01:55:37 pm »

I'm not familiar with dfhack oddities, although the only command I ever use is reveal. Thanks for the responses (:

Of course. Don't be shy to mention anything else you may find, especially once Dark Ages 42.x launches.

flyteofheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 06, 2015, 02:11:44 pm »

Is there anywhere with info? I really am confused about some things. Like the magic system, when sieges will occur, and for example it said somewhere on your site "44 new metals added" but I have no idea what they are and what their values are? So its functionally useless to me.

I had no idea wolfsbane was so valuable until years into my fort and I literally had it on the surface for free. If I had known, id have set up all my farms to use it instead.

I don't need super in detail documentation but even some clear list of features would be grand haha. I tried googling the specific mods you added but they lack documentation too.

Im at 93 pop and have been over 80 for like 2 years, I made sure to embark somewhere where it said I was at war with like 5 civs + near a tower, and iv seen NOTHING so far except wizard caravans and forgotten beasts. Wealth is 2.8 mil and exported wealth is about 200k. Am I missing something that makes sieges and other things happen?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 06:48:23 pm by flyteofheart »
Encrusted with fried bread and menacing with spikes of coconuts
living the dream
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 92