Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: The Natural History Museum Challenge (40.24) - Old thread  (Read 16588 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The (New and Improved!) Natural History Museum -Adv succession-
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2014, 10:48:42 am »

PASS!

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9911

Take it away, pisskop, I'm copping out early. :D

[EDIT] Oh wait! I forgot to retire the fortress.  You might want to hang around for the dwarf trading caravan first, though.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 11:07:27 am by ptb_ptb »
()==[:::::::::::::>

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2014, 11:09:12 am »

PASS!

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9911

Take it away, pisskop, I'm copping out early. :D

[EDIT] Oh wait! I forgot to retire the fortress.  You might want to hang around for the dwarf trading caravan first, though.
henh?  You want me to trade and retire it?  k.  Ill probably start later today or tomorrow.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2014, 12:09:57 pm »

henh?  You want me to trade and retire it?
If you wouldn't mind. There are a lot of bins full of 'finished goods' near the trade depot - mostly bone craft. The museum is desperately low on metal, but, all that stuff is up for you to decide now. :P

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2014, 03:55:52 pm »

I think there may have been a miscommunication somewhere.  I finally got my computer back, so I downloaded the latest save to see how things have changed and... there's exactly 1 display in the Museum.  It's the backpack I left there in the original save file.  So I poked around to see where the submissions went... seems a lot of the animals were butchered and turned into bone goods.  We have carp bone scepters, crundle bone crowns and albatross bone figurines, all patiently waiting to be sold to the next merchants to come along...

So I'm thinking, that maybe there's been a miscommunication here:

The whole point of this game is  Have one of every type of thing in the world ON DISPLAY.  I really can't stress this enough, guys: the items submitted for display in the Museum, that gives Players the right to play in the Fortress mode is that their submissions are PUT ON DISPLAY using the handy "Display Pedestal" workshop or by being put in a room with windows and forbidden from being turned into crundle bone scepters or eaten by hungry dwarves.

Maybe some Players aren't used to Fortress Mode, though, and are distracted enough by Life to remember that if something is sold to merchants, that it's not at the museum anymore and will therefore never be put on display.

Anyway, so I figured I'll be CRYSTAL CLEAR now: If you begin your turn for Fortress Mode by reclaiming the Museum, before you unpause the game or do anything else: go to the pile at the bottom of the submission chute and forbid all of those items from being used.  Carp bone crowns or peahen bone bolts are not skeletons of carps or peahens - they're crowns and bolts.  The reason the submission chute is so far away from the Museum is because when you actually decide to put the submissions on display, they're at the VERY END of the list, so you don't have to go searching for them.  Of course, that only works if they stay there!

I've prepared a step by step guide to constructing a Display Pedestal just in case this is where the communication interrupt has happened:

Step 1: Start fortress mode
Step 2: Reclaim the latest Museum
Step 3: IMMEDIATELY go to the bottom of the submission chute and forbid all of the submissions there
Step 4: Either unpause the game and build a special place for the submissions or go directly to step 5.
Step 5: Pause the game (if not already paused).
Step 6: Go to the forbidden submissions pile and unforbid the item you wish to put on display.
Step 7: Press "b"uild, then "w"orkshop.
Step 8: The "Display Pedestal" workshop has no letter associated with it, but it's at the very bottom of the list, so press "-" to highlight it then select it with "Enter".
Step 9: Place the "x" where you want the Display Pedestal to be built and press "enter"
Step 10: Select which type of block you want to make the pedestal out of (we have many basalt blocks available right now)
 Now you'll be presented with a short list of everything in the fortress except the stuff in barrels or bins.
Step 11: Press "x" to "e'x'pand the list to individual things, instead of the general types of things
Step 12: Press "-" to go immediately to the end of the list.  Your chosen item from the submission pile will be waiting for you there.
Step 13: Highlight the item and press "enter"

There! That is how to build a Display Pedestal with a specific submission in it!  Repeat this process from Step 5 until all original submissions are placed on Display Pedestals somewhere in the Museum.  However, it's important enough to repeat yet another time: If it's not put on display it doesn't count!

I need to also mention something else: even though it states it in the OP, maybe it was too buried in easily skimmed text so I'll repeat it here: Players MAY NOT deconstruct any furniture, buildings, or workshops that were built before, they may only add new furniture, buildings, workshops or excavations.  The save file I downloaded has several floor tiles and a wall removed in the Museum, so this has obviously not been understood by at least one Player as not allowed.

To help others to find the important bits when skimming through the OP, I've highlighted them in orange.  I'll probably also put a copy of the Display Pedestal step-by-step guide in there too, for easy reference.

When wondering what category something is that when you're deciding what goes onto a Display Pedestal, the last word in an item description will tell you:  A donkey bone crown is a "crown (bone)".  A mangled donkey skull is a "skull (donkey)", a carp skeleton is a "skeleton (carp)".  In this way, we will know specifically what's on display and what isn't.  Since we now know precisely what is on display as of ptb_ptb's turn, we can mark off "leather backpack" in the list.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 04:23:02 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2014, 04:01:01 pm »

Okay.  So I have to take my fort at the museum, or is that optional?

Also DLed
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2014, 04:05:34 pm »

Okay.  So I have to take my fort at the museum, or is that optional?

Also DLed

It's right there in the rules:
Once a submission has successfully been made, the Player has until the end of that same week to play one season per original submission in Fortress Mode (Either by creating new sites and/or unretiring the Museum itself).

So you get 1 season per submission that isn't already on display at the Museum.  So long as you didn't submit a leather backpack (the only display so far), you're good.  If you unretire the Museum, you HAVE to put the submissions on display, but that's not a problem if you decide not to play your seasons somewhere else. (Because logically, the submissions wouldn't be there, and it's not the Museum...)

Maybe the OP isn't as clear as I thought it was - how would you guys rephrase it so that it's easier to understand?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 04:08:26 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2014, 04:22:42 pm »

Aye.

My first action as overseer?
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2691-cowfinder

Also wow.  Great work on the museum guys.  Looks wow.
PKs DF Mod!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2014, 04:29:40 pm »

Is sacrificing to the Volcano Goddess going to become a traditional first action as overseer I wonder?

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2014, 08:53:16 pm »

KK.  Adventurer Joe is a crossbowlass, from half a world away.  As soon as I got to the ocean I understood why that was a poor decision.
Of course, I had to scale a mountain peak with a sheer cliff bluff on the ocean.

Long story short:
-Fell off the cliff bluff after I lost my grip.  Felt like sleeping for a while after I landed and every bone tried to turn into an accordion.
-Swam the swim and wrestled a skunk to death
-Found a tower.  I was able to sneak up to the without being seen
-Zed-time 8)  So far Ive been lucky and had a lot of trees and water to help me escape, and if it come to it I dont think zoms will path through fire.
-Lol at the former occupants name.  What an elfy name.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
-I found an extra quiver of bolts when some bandits wandered by and chased me into zombies, and I was sniping the faster elven zombies when this happened
-I was able to run away, and only ten or so zoms remain on the first level, inside.  Im afraid to sleep; what if they respawn?

-I can see a book with a promising name, and I want it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 08:55:10 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2014, 09:00:01 pm »

It'd be a pity if you couldn't read it...  Still, not a bad submission for the Museum if it doesn't end up at the bottom of the ocean before you can get it there...  What if you kill all the zoms and they STILL respawn?  (Sounds like a horror movie cliche`: "I can't sleep because THEY'LL come out of nowhere and eat my brains!")

So... you're holding a a crossbow, a bow and a whip?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:10:44 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2014, 05:12:28 am »

I think the OP was not so much unclear, as too long. :P

Seriously though I couldn't actually make display pedestals because no stone, no metal, no pick.

I did eventually manage to fix those but but then I'd forgotten all about it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2014, 03:56:20 pm »

Okay, so do the animals have to be dead to count?  It so much quicker to make them crawl themselves to the museum :P

----

OH MY GOD ZOMBIES ARE UNSTOPPABLE FOLLOWERS!  Theyre crossing some of the oceans to get to me!  I purposely tried to leave them behind because Ive been killing and picking up all the animals I can find and they keep moving at normal speed, but they just keep coming!

---

Okay, I have to buckle down.  I purposely avoid becoming a night creature or taking demigods for just this reason.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 05:50:38 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2014, 07:18:04 pm »

...That doesn't quite look right.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2014, 08:58:54 pm »

Thats because elves are 'i's and braclets grow in walls and driftwood is in the jungle and all fruit and bushes are super colorful.

I actually left a Sasquatch corpse behind because I couldnt find its body :|  Got a cave dragon, draltha, and elk bird stuffed into my backpack though.  Also a single dead mussel (vermins, yea?).
PKs DF Mod!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2014, 10:22:01 pm »

I think the OP was not so much unclear, as too long. :P

Seriously though I couldn't actually make display pedestals because no stone, no metal, no pick.

I did eventually manage to fix those but but then I'd forgotten all about it.

I'd pre-made over 200 basalt blocks so that nothing would get in the way of... (sigh).  I guess I'm a relic because I actually read all of what's required before attempting to play a game made specifically for a certain purpose.

Okay, so do the animals have to be dead to count?
No.  They won't be able to be put on a pedestal if still alive, so you'll have to purposefully build a windowed room for them at the Museum.  Also, animals don't stay caged or in their rooms if alive (which is a bummer since having a dwarven zoo would be awesome), so it's probably a good idea to kill them once they get to your museum anyway.  The glass windowed room is for things that for one reason or another don't seem to work in pedestals, like blueberries.

It doesn't look right because pisskop's playing the game in ascii rather than the Pheobus graphics set the OP says it's been generated in.  However, he's still doing a beast of a job so far.  If that adventurer actually gets to the Museum, it'll be really great!

(...of course, maybe that'll just mean that the adventurer has kited zombies from half a world away to assault everyone at the Museum, and isn't THAT a pretty picture?)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 11:17:21 am by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12