Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26

Author Topic: Abrahamic Religions; Discussion, Cross-reference, and Beliefs  (Read 29408 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Abrahamic Religions; Discussion, Cross-reference, and Beliefs
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2014, 04:00:16 pm »

[highandmighty]We prefer the term Reformed, thank you very much.[/highandmighty]

Anyway, including denominations seems silly. It still falls under the banner of the same religion.

I'd also like to request that if anyone here has a decent understanding of Islam, could they perhaps give us a run-down? I know some basics, but I'm pretty sure most people here don't know much about it.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2014, 04:04:49 pm »

We are keeping the three main branches and not adding denominations that fall under them
The addition of "and others not listed" should be good enough to sum it up

And ya I would love to see a rundown of Islam, I don't know much about it at all
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2014, 04:18:46 pm »

[highandmighty]We prefer the term Reformed, thank you very much.[/highandmighty]

Anyway, including denominations seems silly. It still falls under the banner of the same religion

And that's how Bahai differs from Protestantism, because unlike protestantism it doesn't clearly fall under the banner of one of the others.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2014, 04:28:41 pm »

I wasn't talking about Bahai?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2014, 04:42:04 pm »

No, but the guy before you that you were responding to said that Bahai was a denomination
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2014, 04:53:24 pm »

A basic overview of Islam:

There is a lack of sources, but most likely Islam as known today began some time around the middle of the first millennium AD/CE. According to Islamic doctrine, the passages of the Qu'ran were revealed to their prophet Muhammed starting when he was 40 years old. Over his life, the religion grew until it became its own city-state. When Muhammed died, there was a crisis of succession, leading to the division of Sunnis and Shiites that persists to this day.

The core practices of the faith are called the "Five Pillars", and they are as follows:
Renunciation of any other god but the one with the capital G. (or "Allah" in Arabic.)
Five daily prayers that must be done every day
Giving to one's community (there are several rules about the specifics)
Fasting during the month of Ramadan
A pilgrimage to the city of Mecca at least one during life.

Muslims still venerate the usual figures of the other two faiths, including Christ, but view them all as Prophets, in roughly equal standing and importance.

And that's the gist of it. I should probably ask my Muslim friend for some clarifications/more details, though.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2014, 05:01:20 pm »

No, but the guy before you that you were responding to said that Bahai was a denomination
http://bahaitext.info/btxt.asp?buk=pdc&tgt=112:1+11&wds=xx
As to Muhammad, the Apostle of God, let none among His followers who read these pages, think for a moment that either Islám, or its Prophet, or His Book, or His appointed Successors, or any of His authentic teachings, have been, or are to be in any way, or to however slight a degree, disparaged. The lineage of the Báb, the descendant of the Imám Husayn; the divers and striking evidences, in Nabíl's Narrative, of the attitude of the Herald of our Faith towards the Founder, the Imáms, and the Book of Islám; the glowing tributes paid by Bahá'u'lláh in the Kitáb-i-Íqán to Muhammad and His lawful Successors, and particularly to the "peerless and incomparable" Imám Husayn; the arguments adduced, forcibly, fearlessly, and publicly by `Abdu'l-Bahá, in churches and synagogues, to demonstrate the validity of the Message of the Arabian Prophet; and last but not least the written testimonial of the Queen of Rumania, who, born in the Anglican faith and notwithstanding the close alliance of her government with the Greek Orthodox Church, the state religion of her adopted country, has, largely as a result of the perusal of these public discourses of `Abdu'l-Bahá, been prompted to proclaim her recognition of the prophetic function of Muhammad-- all proclaim, in no uncertain terms, the true attitude of the Bahá'í Faith towards its parent religion.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2014, 05:26:16 pm »

Its more islam than anything else though.

It might give lips service to some other prophets, but in teachings, it completely denounce the core concepts of Christianity and in the debates between islam and judaism it completely take sides with Islam. its only considered Independent because Islam is a non-reformable religion (Pretty much understood from the second or third chapter... Actually, my memory is bit hazy on this part. it might came bit later in that book) and thus would have resulted in an even more extreme persecution if they had not supposedly gone indie. but ultimately, Bahai is actually the reformation of islam. don't get me wrong, i have very little against it since their core message is peaceful, but i really can't see why we even need it at this point in time. i think its too late. we should be past the religions era by now.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 05:35:29 pm by burningpet »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2014, 05:56:50 pm »

Its more islam than anything else though.

It might give lips service to some other prophets, but in teachings, it completely denounce the core concepts of Christianity and in the debates between islam and judaism it completely take sides with Islam. its only considered Independent because Islam is a non-reformable religion (Pretty much understood from the second or third chapter... Actually, my memory is bit hazy on this part. it might came bit later in that book) and thus would have resulted in an even more extreme persecution if they had not supposedly gone indie. but ultimately, Bahai is actually the reformation of islam. don't get me wrong, i have very little against it since their core message is peaceful, but i really can't see why we even need it at this point in time. i think its too late. we should be past the religions era by now.

In school we are taught that one of the key components of human civilization is religion
Just about every civilization up until now has had it
And I don't see what everyone has against it, for the most part they teach people to be less violent and selfish

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2014, 05:58:40 pm »

found a couple of videos about Christianity and Islam for all ye who wish a quick look in to both religions
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2014, 06:09:09 pm »

In school we are taught that one of the key components of human civilization is religion
And I don't see what everyone has against it, for the most part they teach people to be less violent and selfish

Some do. Some don't.

The fact we had it up until now is not something that should automatically make it right or serve as an excuse to perpetuate it.

I think i saw charts showing that the least religious countries are the most peaceful ones.
Fake edit: http://www.pitzer.edu/academics/faculty/zuckerman/Zuckerman_on_Atheism.pdf
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 06:12:24 pm by burningpet »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2014, 06:27:14 pm »

The problem is two:

1. The non-philosophical portions of most religions often contain much that is demonstrably false  and even more that is highly unlikely and supported only by hearsay.

2. Religion is often riddled with internal contradictions. One minute the lord is kind and merciful, the next minute he's blowing up cities and afflicting people with diseases and famines. The same is true about many religions' positions on how people should behave. One page of a holy text will tell you to be less violent and selfish, and the next page will say that you should torture and kill people over irrelevant piddling crap. The Bible and the Torah both contain two entire books that are almost exclusively of this second petty and violent type, the Book of Leviticus, and the Book of Deuteronomy.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2014, 06:37:48 pm »

And I don't see what everyone has against it, for the most part they teach people to be less violent and selfish.
That's true, it can do that. It can also make people aggressive and intolerant, but most of all are mainly untrue. Even you would say they're all untrue except one, yours.

And civilization has always looked for answers is all, and with most questions they had no answers. Religion seemingly answered the unanswerable, helped rulers control people, and gave comfort from the prospect of death.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2014, 06:42:34 pm »

But most modern forms of religion do not teach the, "go kill x" portion
Take Christianity. In modern America most Christian churches don't teach you to go and kill sinners or condemn them or at least mine doesn't

And I don't see what everyone has against it, for the most part they teach people to be less violent and selfish.
That's true, it can do that. It can also make people aggressive and intolerant, but most of all are mainly untrue. Even you would say they're all untrue except one, yours.

And civilization has always looked for answers is all, and with most questions they had no answers. Religion seemingly answered the unanswerable, helped rulers control people, and gave comfort from the prospect of death.

What do you mean even I would say that?
Yes on the religious and creation of the world side yes but much of the history in other religions I think are true
I think Buda was a real person that walked around and spoke of peace and even gave good lessons on pacifism
I'm not too well learned in Hindu so in staying away from that
Islam has plenty of true things that did happen
Judeism the same

Now if, when you say what you did, you mean that I don't believe what they say on the religious and creation sides then yes you are right

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2014, 07:09:05 pm »

Jim Jones and L. Ron Hubbard were real but that doesn't mean that People's Temple and Scientology are true.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26