Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 447076 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #225 on: January 18, 2015, 05:59:31 am »

As far as I know if that happens your wagon auto-deconstructs or doesn't spawn at all.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 18, 2015, 08:46:20 am »

That happens around magma pipes. It's not just the irregular circle of the pipe that generates magma spurts, it's the entire 48x48 embark tile that the pipe is located in.

Hmm, could be related to
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7632
and
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8730
do you think?

Seen this a few times with one of my world gen parameter setups where I had the volcano tube open to the caverns, thus allowing fun stuff to climb out if you don't smooth the wall around the tube, and after you embark there is a short period where the magma level starts to rise up the tube some distance before it settles to a more stable state.

Had some fun embarks with waterfalls into volcanos too, after the collapse spam from all the obsidianizing at least, and one on a partially frozen embark that almost immediately began to overflow, inundating the wagon location and wiping out the fort due to my entrance being located near the rim of the previously empty volcano mouth...

« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 08:49:06 am by Max™ »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 21, 2015, 01:46:46 am »

Severe blistering can pulp body parts, to the point of UB/LB mangling, i.e. death.

Watching the process with
  [CE_BLISTERS:SEV:10:PROB:100:START:462:PEAK:1189:END:3619:BP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:ALL:VASCULAR_ONLY:SIZE_DILUTES]

It is terrifying.  Any part with blood starts to moistly peel away slowly; in a painful way.  Each step you take causes the boils to burst from the pressure, and every move you take is a reminder that your own immune system fluid is slowly skinning you.
  You start to vomit, because your stomach and guts rot away before your very eyes, which are only protected by your bloated, oozing eyelids.  Your hands become limp, pustulating lumps of skin, and you drop your tools before your legs give out on you; unable to sustain your weight any more.  Eventually, death comes in the form of your body disintegrating into a goopy pile of skin and oozing pus.

That is not trivial at all, heh.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 21, 2015, 08:57:24 am »

I've seen two miles in a row that were asexual (the two mules I've seen at all since I figured out the gaydar) and both were asexual.  Since asexuality is so rare, I have hypothesized that all mules are asexual.  Not that it really matters, since they're all male anyway...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 22, 2015, 07:24:36 pm »

If your trade liaison has more than one title they may not be called the trade liaison.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 23, 2015, 03:12:46 pm »

While in their beastly forms, werecreatures cannot reproduce ("not biologically capable of sex" according to DFHack.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 23, 2015, 03:32:54 pm »

Yeah, they literally have no sex there (no MALE or FEMALE token). You could also have determined that by not seeing a male or female sign next to their creature name.

Djinternet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 23, 2015, 03:40:39 pm »

I recently discovered your dwarf's profession doesn't automatically mean you'll get an object from that profession in the event of a strange mood. I had a carpenter enter a fey mood. Checked his profile, he liked crutches, so I expect a crutch. Nope! Guy claims a Jeweler's workshop. I'm WTFing, so I checked his skills and it turns out that he was a proficient carpenter and a proficient gem setter (V Rusty). Turns out that skill rust doesn't matter when it comes to moods.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 23, 2015, 03:41:54 pm »

Yeah, they literally have no sex there (no MALE or FEMALE token). You could also have determined that by not seeing a male or female sign next to their creature name.
I didn't see that back when I completely over-engineered a custom were-beast interaction.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 23, 2015, 11:40:08 pm »

My miners seemed to ignore z-level difference.
When I designed an area across 2 z-levels, he just ran between the two levels frequently, despite the stairway linking the two levels was more than 50 tiles away from either spot.

Gave different priority numbers.
Problem solved.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 11:45:38 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 24, 2015, 01:32:32 am »

Sadly, that has been an issue for a long time.  Dwarves, in selecting new jobs (including materials to collect for crafting jobs), do not perform full pathfinding on every job in the list to determine which one is truly closest (thank god, that would utterly cripple FPS), they choose the closest job in straight line distance.  1 floor down and no lateral displacement but a 1000 tile walk to the stairwell is closer than a spot 2 tiles to the left, even if a dwarf has to walk across the "farther away" spot to get to the "closer" spot.

For that reason, be cautious of workshop and stockpile placement across z levels.  If you are trying to get dwarves to use a feeder stockpile, either make a stockpile link, or you could do what we did before those newfangled features and make sure there are no other valid materials directly above or below for 5 or so z levels.

I can't help with mining jobs, other than to not designate on nearby z levels simultaneously.  Although I hear there's some even more newfangled features involving mining priority levels that would solve your problem, but I haven't tried to use that yet, so I'm not sure how it works.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 24, 2015, 06:49:01 pm »

There are four non-trivial improvements to mechanics interface:

1. Link buildings from levers can be chosen by cursor; you no longer need to pick the item out of a list.
2. Previously, you could link a building to a trigger twice by assigning the same job before the first one was finished. This no longer happens, which offers a way to verify you picked the correct target _before_ the job is finished.
3. Inaccessible link targets are struck from the list. You can now limit the options in your link-to list by forbidding buildings you don't want to link.
4. Linking mechanisms is now almost instant. It was a substantial job (about as time-consuming as extracting strands) which could take several days per job if a low-skilled mechanic did the job. Much fun if you need a dozen links to a single trigger.

The only change to less convenience is to the linking of doors: you can only link a door if it's not currently closed and locked or held shut by mechanisms - jobs will suspend because of pathing failure. This means that if you want to link several triggers to the same door, you first need to lever/trigger the door open before further jobs work. The silly thing is that dwarfs don't actually step into the door's tile when linking it up, they just need to be _able_ to.

Changes 1-4 are deeply appreciated. I'm not too enthusiastic about the thing with the doors, but it's manageable.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 24, 2015, 07:16:03 pm »

Not sure if this is already common knowledge or not (couldn't find anything about it on the wiki), but it seems elves will declare war on you if you cut down enough trees while their caravan is in town. I haven't killed a single elf in his fort, nor offered them wood or stolen from them, and yet shortly after their caravan left I noticed on he civ screen that they were at war with me, which hey definitely weren't before. The only significant event at the time was me clear cutting the forest.

Also, undead sieges are easy to deal with as long as you have given your civilians crossbows. A 30 unit undead siege was thwarted by three squads of very mediocre soldiers (poor quality armour and weapons, low skills - basically fodder) supported by a swarm of crossbow-wielding little beards who'd never shot a bolt in their lives, and with only 4 fatalities.
The reason the bolts actually helped against the painless, unflinching undead is that shots to joints and other sensitive areas still significantly reduced the zombies' speed and dodging ability, despite their inability to feel pain, which gave the melee troops the edge they needed to not get massacred.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 25, 2015, 06:11:00 pm »

Arena Mode runs through autumn and winter, if say you leave it running.
  Kinda obvious, but . . . heh
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 26, 2015, 12:13:55 pm »

Critters who have a Clean_other interaction clue will only use that when out of combat.

I was hoping they would do so in combat, but they are apparently too preoccupied to cast growth on a critter who is covered in blood.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 148