Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 446182 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #405 on: March 19, 2015, 07:03:29 pm »

I did that when I embarked on a goblin camp. They had troll fur cloth or something like that.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 19, 2015, 07:09:52 pm »

On the subject of tents, they don't count as indoors.
Interesting.  So, correct me if I'm wrong, but cave adaptation is prevented by being outdoors, regardless of lighting, while normal roofed constructions are light but indoors, so do not prevent cave adaptation.  Therefor, tents are a potential way (maybe the only way) to make a secure, roofed (they're roofed right?  I think I remember them having roofs) outdoor meeting area to prevent cave adaptation.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 19, 2015, 07:15:19 pm »

This is not about gameplay. But I just find there are actually some DF stories on fanfiction.net.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 19, 2015, 07:22:57 pm »

Interesting.  So, correct me if I'm wrong, but cave adaptation is prevented by being outdoors, regardless of lighting, while normal roofed constructions are light but indoors, so do not prevent cave adaptation.  Therefor, tents are a potential way (maybe the only way) to make a secure, roofed (they're roofed right?  I think I remember them having roofs) outdoor meeting area to prevent cave adaptation.

I think so long as the tile is considered light, it won't cause cave adaptation.

At any rate, they do have roofs but paradoxically they're considered outdoors and thus useless for anything but raw materials (as you can't put beds/tables and chairs in them.)

I'm going to see if I can have a worker walk on one. If I can, then free walls, just add a new roof for shelter!

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #409 on: March 20, 2015, 11:02:45 pm »

Have you ever seen one of those topics on the forum that has a bunch of pages, and they're listed "1 2 3 ... 617"? If you click the "..." it will expand to list more of the pages.
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 21, 2015, 06:36:19 am »

Goblins are green, also different from their tile.

I knew that goblins are different shades of green, but I have only recently discovered that they all have hair in different shade of red (may be on the blue side, may be on the yellow side, but is always a variant of red). No wonder they have such an aggressive culture. Imagine the contrast between your skin and your hair. And that everyone you see will see the same looking at you.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 21, 2015, 09:22:23 am »

So, if you can embark on a camp, the build walls around a tent and set things up so that your main corridor (i.e. the one that leads to the living quarters) is through a tent, deconstructing tent "walls" when necessary, you can undo cave adaptation?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 21, 2015, 10:43:23 am »

Oh my god I never thought to try to deconstruct a tent with advfort, yet I've dug out the entire space under a necro tower and collapsed it into a pit (upside: it kills the necros and scatters the indestructible artifact books around, while pulverizing the fake ones and many of the undead... strangely not all) and this honestly never struck me to try.

About fortifications, I had a dorf do this (actually in the thread where the parkfour full plate dwarves comment came from) and tested it with an adventurer.

Side view:
_______  <- floors
_______# < fortification

You can grab the floor and climb down into the fortification from the roof, so carve fortifications where possible as it leaves a roof, or put a floor over built ones.

Don't know why nothing tries jumping through them, I've seen things jumping in adventure mode, pretty sure I've seen them do it in fort mode, but not a one seems to realize you can jump through a fortification?

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 21, 2015, 02:04:50 pm »

Considering that I noticed a bug where, if you jumped through a fortification in the arena, you had a chance to be teleported back to the space you jumped from, I think it's unintentional.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 21, 2015, 02:37:57 pm »

I think so long as the tile is considered light, it won't cause cave adaptation.

At any rate, they do have roofs but paradoxically they're considered outdoors and thus useless for anything but raw materials (as you can't put beds/tables and chairs in them.)

I'm going to see if I can have a worker walk on one. If I can, then free walls, just add a new roof for shelter!
If it's "light" then cave adaptation stops getting worse.  If it's "outdoors" then cave adaptation actually starts wearing off (which may involve puking).
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 21, 2015, 03:03:01 pm »

So, if you can embark on a camp, the build walls around a tent and set things up so that your main corridor (i.e. the one that leads to the living quarters) is through a tent, deconstructing tent "walls" when necessary, you can undo cave adaptation?
If it's "light" then cave adaptation stops getting worse.  If it's "outdoors" then cave adaptation actually starts wearing off (which may involve puking).
So yes, it should work.  However, you'll need to make sure the dwarves spend at least some specific fraction of their time in an outside tile, or they will still get cave adaptation and just puke every time they go in the tent.  A recent thread presented a specific number, I think either 1:10 or 1:100.  Putting a corridor through it may not be enough, you might have to use it as a meeting area, though I think it would probably be a tad cramped (how big do tents get?).

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 22, 2015, 08:15:16 am »

Don't "outside" tiles also get rained on? That might be a problem, although putting high-quality statues on either side of the area under the camp would counteract the unhappiness resulting from that. High-quality doors could also help. If the roof of the tent is connected to proper floors on all sides, can you remove the "walls" without it collapsing? Or do you need at least one tent "wall"?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 22, 2015, 08:15:39 am »

Bridges frozen in ice are not jammed.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 22, 2015, 09:39:47 am »

Oh my god I never thought to try to deconstruct a tent with advfort, yet I've dug out the entire space under a necro tower and collapsed it into a pit (upside: it kills the necros and scatters the indestructible artifact books around, while pulverizing the fake ones and many of the undead... strangely not all) and this honestly never struck me to try.

About fortifications, I had a dorf do this (actually in the thread where the parkfour full plate dwarves comment came from) and tested it with an adventurer.
But can you engrave fortifications in the tent?

*Takes out a knife and begins tearing holes in the side of a tent for no good reason.*
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 22, 2015, 01:49:13 pm »

Oh god, that would be just perfect. I would love to see that.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 148