Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 446181 times)

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #765 on: June 27, 2016, 06:54:03 pm »

Pretty sure it's high orderliness, possibly law. In 43.03 I had a stressed tantruming dwarf who would start fistfights with the tavern guests and then get good thoughts from receiving beatings and jail time

e: In other news, wait for your tavern to fill up with guests, then set it to locals only. Watch for the  "xxx, dancer, has become enraged!" "xxx is no longer enraged" spam as the entertainers are forced to gravitate to your library and your scholars start arguing with them.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 06:58:50 pm by freeze »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: June 27, 2016, 07:50:29 pm »

I'll have to look.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: June 28, 2016, 05:01:03 am »

Breached the circus. Flying clowns are actively avoiding my legendary squads by a ~20 tile radius. They won't attack unless they have sufficient numbers.

It seems demon fire got buffed along with dragonfire, so all my ☼iron menacing spike traps☼ melted. Mechanisms were orthoclase and obsidian.

Completing the stairwell to the circus floor leads to FPS murder. Going to need an airlock.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: June 29, 2016, 12:06:28 am »

Finding 1: Unpastured poultry will claim nest boxes on their own.
Finding 2: I now have 172 turkey poults (took 16 turkey hens on embark, some were infertile tho)
Finding 3: Herbalist skills up quite fast. I noticed I have legendary +1 herbalist after he went over d-p'd 7 embark tiles. Also 310 plants (some withered because of my fault)

Ahahahaha this went way better than expected. I know I will not be ordering leather this time.

After tossing puppy-birthing dogs into a room with locked door and throwing away the key, I'm running at 97 FPS with 282 units on the map. Much better than 25 with 600 elves on library embark, though it is only first summer!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 12:11:15 am by Fleeting Frames »

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: June 29, 2016, 12:13:40 am »

with 600 elves on library embark,
What a heap of leather!
How do you embarked on the library?
Finis sanctificat media.

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: June 29, 2016, 03:44:08 am »

Pumping water into the top of a volcano can cause occasional cave-ins from formation of unsupported obsidian. Said cave-ins can then cause a magma piston effect, causing stray bits of magma to appear on the level above the original surface.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: June 29, 2016, 04:03:04 am »

with 600 elves on library embark,
What a heap of leather!
How do you embarked on the library?
DFHack plugin: embark-tools ; enable embark anywhere. There were about 10000? books according to my bookkeeper, and despite being marked as hostile, no conflicts with either civilians or stationed military. They didn't visit my new library either though, sadly.

Incidentally, said dwarven civ has no dwarves.

Which brings me to another discovery:
Spoiler: Former Queen (click to show/hide)
Queen position isn't necessarily for life. This one was Queen for a day, then became expedition leader again.

Still, motivation to give everyone royal furnishing :p

E: Good motivation. It yoyod daily till someone else became expedition leader.

Wow, I had just two tree-loving beards climb several zs up and then down a tree. Oddly, this didn't give them any climbing experience, but I didn't know they could do that.

They then proceed to go back in the next step of the cycle of "climb in submerged meeting area, realize it is submerged, get out, climb trees, get down, proceed to climb in said meeting area again". Same steps every time.

Idling dwarfs are weird. Kinda reminds me of how animals path though, same counter-clockwise cycle, albeit returning to origin. And it is only those dwarfs who got submerged in meeting area - only they return into water and then climb again.

E: interestingly, dwarves can hold onto things in their sleep if forced by (say minecarts).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 06:42:10 am by Fleeting Frames »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #772 on: June 30, 2016, 07:46:22 am »

it is possible to make engravings that crash the game when viewed.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: June 30, 2016, 08:42:38 am »

Such as?

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: June 30, 2016, 09:05:51 am »

Such as?
It is an engraving of Toadyone creating an artifact doom toy - dwarf fortress.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #775 on: June 30, 2016, 01:50:51 pm »

Such as?
It is an engraving of Toadyone creating an artifact doom toy - dwarf fortress.

DFhack allows you to engrave wierd stuff
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: July 02, 2016, 05:06:22 am »

In 1, midsummer, (12th of Malachite)  The Somber Arena held a crossbow throwing competition in Matchedfountains as part of The Festival of Ships.

That is not how you use a crossbow  ::)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: July 04, 2016, 02:54:19 am »

Dumat Idenoslan, Mason cancels Push Track Vehicle: Interrupted by a eyeless monster.

Apparently, just because I can't see into hell through constructed downward stairway doesn't prevent my dwarves from seeing it.

It also seems that hens won't dodge minecarts down into unrevealed air.

...I wonder if you pre-obsidianize hell, will the clown car spawn pre-encased?
revel, obsidian walls with liquids, unreveal, dig suggests yes. I now have clown car unmoving in a single tile of wall.

Collisions between cats and carts can only be somewhat elastic, with cart losing some but not all speed. Had some interesting diagonal movement towards both southeast and southwest as a result.

Thanks, cat, you gave me a new idea!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 10:10:51 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: July 13, 2016, 09:21:29 am »

I retire a fortress with 100 pop that is equipped with steel armor and weapons except the miners who just use steel pick.
Then I embark a new fortress to an adjacent region.  Sure enough,
  • I got migrants from the first fortress with nicknames intact.
  • Migrant that came from the first fortress are wearing civilian clothes.
  • Miner migrants from the first fortress bring their steel pick, and some have decorations like turkey bones even though I did not decorate them in the first fort.
  • Military Migrant that came from the first fortress did not bring their steel equipment, or foreign weapons like whips and large knives.
  • Axedwarfs Migrants that came from the first fortress did not bring their steel axes equipment, perhaps I should have set them as wood cutters before retiring.
  • Markdwarfs Migrants that came from the first fortress did not bring their steel crossbow equipment, perhaps I should have set them as hunters before retiring.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: July 13, 2016, 10:07:33 am »

I retire a fortress with 100 pop that is equipped with steel armor and weapons except the miners who just use steel pick.
Then I embark a new fortress to an adjacent region.  Sure enough,
  • I got migrants from the first fortress with nicknames intact.
  • Migrant that came from the first fortress are wearing civilian clothes.
  • Miner migrants from the first fortress bring their steel pick, and some have decorations like turkey bones even though I did not decorate them in the first fort.
  • Military Migrant that came from the first fortress did not bring their steel equipment, or foreign weapons like whips and large knives.
  • Axedwarfs Migrants that came from the first fortress did not bring their steel axes equipment, perhaps I should have set them as wood cutters before retiring.
  • Markdwarfs Migrants that came from the first fortress did not bring their steel crossbow equipment, perhaps I should have set them as hunters before retiring.

If you had reclaimed the fort all of their steel armor would have decorations as well (and possibly be changed to base quality). Everyone must get a sudden urge to bedazzle their stuff when a fort gets retired.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 148