Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 447102 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1305 on: July 27, 2018, 08:17:20 pm »

A dwarf gets hauled into the hospital and is "diagnosed with inebriation." No treatment is prescribed and the dwarf immediately gets up and goes to work further on his inebriation. Yes, that sounds realistic, but why bother with dwarves?

In vanilla game inebriation has [SYN_NO_HOSPITAL] flag, which should prevent it from being treated. Maybe the dwarf had other problem, and was dragged to the hospital because of that other problem, and then diagnosed with inebriation just because he happen to have it too.
That's strange, I've observed dwarves being hauled off to hospital after too much to drink fairly often. Maybe being unconscious triggers rescue attempts overriding the syndrome settings. Seems to keep dorfs alive having a hospital near the tavern. Shame about the visitors...

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: July 28, 2018, 10:53:00 am »

It just hit me that dwarves have universal healthcare.

Well, dwarfcare. A few less remedies and few more amputations.
In a time before time, I had a name.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: July 28, 2018, 11:11:18 am »

Dwarves eating choose tables based on linear distance rather than actual distance. A dwarf will travel a whole maze to get a table nearer the stockpile rather than one that's a little further away but has a direct route.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: July 29, 2018, 03:12:17 am »

Exporting local image will also export worldgen parameters, allowing access to them without having to retire the fort or use quicksave, open-legends, die.

How could I only now discover this, when I've uploaded many maps to dfma?

Easy: My folders are full of parameters so I never noticed. This time, I had it near empty so I noticed the extra text file.

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: July 29, 2018, 03:22:48 am »

Trivial annoyance of the day: playing children are "creature blocking site" and will not move just because I want to rebuild that workshop there. And playing is one of the longest tasks. When finally done they move a tile and start another game there, still blocking construction! Or this particular one was a bit of a jerk.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: July 29, 2018, 04:13:19 am »

Three findings:
1. Dwarfs "guiding" a minecart ignore traffic designations on the guidable path. I put a bridge with "high" traffic designation between track paths with "low" and "restricted" (crossroads track all over, to give full guide connectivity). While dwarfs walking through followed the bridge, those guiding a cart just crossed over it, following the geometrically shortest path.

2. "Inside the tick": roller acceleration happens before ramp acceleration; most notably, a cart dragged up a ramp by a roller will cross the ramp at slightly reduced speed (25-28 ticks on a slowest roller) because within the tick, the roller first accelerates the cart to its standard speed, *then* the cart accelerates via ramp and incurs friction, *then* actually moves. A cart emerging from such a ramp will also be checkpoint-compensated back to the roller's operational speed after leaving it. If the roller was taken into account after the ramp, the up-going cart would leave the ramp/roller at roller speed and would be compensated to roller speed + ~5000.

3. There's some strange interaction between insanity and custody: a dwarf with a severe weather allergy was incarcerated for a (fatal) tantrum and went melancholic while tied up. She was not released. She has no pending sentences on the justice tab, the captain of the guard is alive and well and she's "chained" for well over a year now.

That's the other interesting thing (although i've already seen it in .34.11, where it was irrelevant because of the bug that prevented give food/water triggering more than once per imprisonment) - *all* hungry/thirsty caged/chained units will be provided with food and water, including the insane. The mad dwarf's rope is effectively her asylum cell.
I can't find a related bug report (dwarf gone mad while justly imprisoned is not released), this case might warrant one.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: July 29, 2018, 11:03:27 am »

Exporting local image will also export worldgen parameters, allowing access to them without having to retire the fort or use quicksave, open-legends, die.
If you're in open-legends you can just hit ESC to get back out of it. No need to kill the game.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: July 29, 2018, 12:25:21 pm »

Um, no. No you can't (well you can, but if you save...), unless you want to chance ruining your save with terrain regeneration, spontaneous caveins, hfs self-uncorking or dozens of merchant wagons spontaneously appearing.

No, it isn't fixed.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: July 29, 2018, 01:03:07 pm »

Ghosts can go insane

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: July 29, 2018, 01:07:04 pm »

Um, no. No you can't (well you can, but if you save...), unless you want to chance ruining your save with terrain regeneration, spontaneous caveins, hfs self-uncorking or dozens of merchant wagons spontaneously appearing.

No, it isn't fixed.
I've never had that happen, so I didn't know about it.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: July 29, 2018, 05:48:08 pm »

That's the other interesting thing (although i've already seen it in .34.11, where it was irrelevant because of the bug that prevented give food/water triggering more than once per imprisonment) - *all* hungry/thirsty caged/chained units will be provided with food and water, including the insane. The mad dwarf's rope is effectively her asylum cell.
I can't find a related bug report (dwarf gone mad while justly imprisoned is not released), this case might warrant one.
Can you convict a dwarf who's already insane?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: July 29, 2018, 06:40:30 pm »

Can you convict a dwarf who's already insane?
You can convict dead dwarves, animals, invaders, or anything else that has died at your site, so I would expect that you could. I wonder if you could convict a scuttled wagon?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: July 29, 2018, 07:15:37 pm »

I wonder if you could convict a scuttled wagon?
That's how you get a revolution on your hands. He's a hero to his people.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: July 30, 2018, 06:57:19 pm »

Some testing reveals that you can indeed accuse insane dwarves of crimes. I've got a chained crazy dwarf and another throwing tantrums.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: July 31, 2018, 08:14:01 am »

Visitors can die of old age at times other than the 1st of granite.
Looks like long term residents follow the regular timing of citizens though ('fortuitous' occurances of two elderly fortress dwellers dying within a couple of months of each other to notice that).
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 148