Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 447046 times)

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1320 on: August 02, 2018, 01:34:00 pm »

Dwarf Fortress seems to generate a migrant wave for the winter, which never arrives, but can still be seen in Dwarf Therapist.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quite large. Just what I needed, unfortunately migrants don't arrive in the winter. Maybe I'll get the same wave in the spring - that would explain why I never saw this before.

However, this seems to be a bug in an older DT version I was using, after an update the wave dissapeared.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 01:38:33 pm by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: August 02, 2018, 05:41:03 pm »

I've seen merchants and migrants appear in red like that, when I commit changes while the migrants are not in DT yet (example: you have some changes ready to commit, then migrants arrive and you think, "I will commit these changes so I can process migrants!", and as you click commit, the migrants appear in red, and if you click Read, it will show them properly).
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

carewolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: August 03, 2018, 09:43:10 am »

That's the other interesting thing (although i've already seen it in .34.11, where it was irrelevant because of the bug that prevented give food/water triggering more than once per imprisonment) - *all* hungry/thirsty caged/chained units will be provided with food and water, including the insane. The mad dwarf's rope is effectively her asylum cell.
I can't find a related bug report (dwarf gone mad while justly imprisoned is not released), this case might warrant one.
Can you convict a dwarf who's already insane?

Keep some "unsolved" crimes around for arising need for convicting people.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: August 03, 2018, 09:17:05 pm »

Can you convict a dwarf who's already insane?
Keep some "unsolved" crimes around for arising need for convicting people.
Obviously that's simple, but I'm wondering if they'll still keep them in prison after the sentence is up. They'll die of thirst if they're free, so if they're released afterwards it would make any sizable sanitarium unfeasible.

I mean, you could always use cage traps to get them in cages, but that's not as interesting as building them a cell.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: August 04, 2018, 03:22:19 am »

I tried it with one melancoly dwarf the last days, he wasn't released. That shouldn't say much as releases are often slow here, but it seemed quite a long time overdue, a season at least. He was never thirsty or hungry for long, but extremely drowsy as they can't force him to sleep. Is death of sleep deprivation a thing in df? He died quietly after some months and I have no clue why. Sample size of one, so don't read too much into it.

I started to doubt the usefulness of this anyway, it won't keep an overrun fort going since you need nurses, no hope he'll get better... sentimental value only I guess.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: August 04, 2018, 03:28:44 am »

sentimental value only I guess.

Not true, if feasible, staving off thier deaths prevents friends and family from getting upset (potentially causing issues for a year or more until they finally accept the death,) and unrelated dwarves from being horrified because they need to handle thier corpse.

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: August 04, 2018, 03:31:08 am »

Oh of course, did't think of loved ones as this one didn't have any.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: August 04, 2018, 03:35:14 am »

Oh of course, did't think of loved ones as this one didn't have any.

I only thought of it because I had an engraver who took over a year to destress from his nephew dying.

Granted, my militia is who killed his nephew, but still.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: August 04, 2018, 05:39:42 pm »

Is death of sleep deprivation a thing in df?
Pretty sure it just drives them insane; which is, of course, a moot point.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 05:43:34 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #1329 on: August 04, 2018, 06:28:44 pm »

Not really sure if it's a "finding", but some grass and trees on my map were saved by the forest fire raging the forest because they were stuck between the river, my above-ground tunnel/walk-pipe to the fishing area, and the old path my dwarves had taken before I built that tunnel. So the fire didn't spread because the grass had been trampled to smithereens by my fisherdwarves in the early days of my fort.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: August 11, 2018, 08:33:18 am »

I've seen merchants and migrants appear in red like that, when I commit changes while the migrants are not in DT yet (example: you have some changes ready to commit, then migrants arrive and you think, "I will commit these changes so I can process migrants!", and as you click commit, the migrants appear in red, and if you click Read, it will show them properly).
i never do any changes in DT without pausing the game first, then reading, then making changes, applying them, and the last step is unpausing.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: August 12, 2018, 02:54:11 am »

A dwarf with profession Monster Slayer came in with the latest wave of migrants. Actually he is a Legendary Stone Crafter and appears among the craftsdwarves in the unit list, but apparently Monster Slayer overrides any ordinary title. His character color is also yellow, despite any changes to his status.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: August 12, 2018, 05:12:57 pm »

A dwarf with profession Monster Slayer came in with the latest wave of migrants. Actually he is a Legendary Stone Crafter and appears among the craftsdwarves in the unit list, but apparently Monster Slayer overrides any ordinary title. His character color is also yellow, despite any changes to his status.
It's a bug. He was a spying (for your civ), then when the game (incorrectly) picked him to migrate to your fortress, he retained his fake name and profession. If he has a spouse, she'll most likely note his real name in her thoughts (and the fake name in her relationships list).

So, although he says he's a monster slayer, please keep him away from the caverns...

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: August 13, 2018, 02:01:53 am »

It's a bug. He was a spying (for your civ), then when the game (incorrectly) picked him to migrate to your fortress, he retained his fake name and profession. If he has a spouse, she'll most likely note his real name in her thoughts (and the fake name in her relationships list).

So, although he says he's a monster slayer, please keep him away from the caverns...

Yes, I noticed that when I played some more after posting. According to Legends he's been a busy little spy in a nearby Human civilization.

It wouldn't be useful using him in anything fighting related anyway: he's so weak he can barely carry his own clothes without slowing down.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: August 14, 2018, 09:09:04 pm »

(On my PC at least)
Pushing PrtSc fails to take a screenshot of Dwarf Fortress when playing Fullscreen in Standard Printmode. It takes a picture of whatever is behind dwarf fortress (desktop, other apps, etc) instead.
Switching to 2D Printmode enables PrtSc to see my Dwarf Fortress screen.

Playing in windowed modes Just Works.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 148